Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Music » Many of my favorite songs tell a story. What's your favorite story-telling song? *Inspired by Welby who brings us all great movies & songs

Many of my favorite songs tell a story. What's your favorite story-telling song? *Inspired by Welby who brings us all great movies & songs

Posted - November 6, 2018

Responses

I'm lost.*

All songs tell stories.

Even Baby Shark.

How can you not see scenes?  There are words.  All words tell stories.  Words are comprised of sound.  The most powerful communicator.

Every sound is a story.

* Note:  I KNOW this is a ludicrous answer, but there are so many answers that are giving the same type of answer.  So I thought I'd switch it up a tad.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 7, 2018 4:16 AM MST
      November 6, 2018 2:20 PM MST

Sharrona, there are no words valuable enough to explain you. :) :) Even at 3:16 in the morning, tired and worn out, you can still make me smile!!
    Your song just sent me into hysterics!  Crap!  I think I woke up Don!!!  Yes, I did!!!  Hold on a sec.  
    O.k. a little kiss on the forehead and he's back to snoring. ... I told him I'd be there in a minute..   It's all good. :) :D!

I especially like grandma and grandpa shark with gums but no teeth!!  Do you think the dentists down in the depths of the sea make shark dentures?  I would think it would be quite a racket if they did. :) :)

Words, yes, those funny shapes we clump together, supposedly mimicking sounds we make through our vocal cords.  Wasn't it nice when people articulated their words?  Even saying articulate in my head and slowing down to type it make me articulate. Big smiles!

It's very frustrating when people mumble.  What's even more frustrating is when they repeat it and you find it made no sense the second time around, either!.  :) :) 

Your answers are a blast to read.  Either they are very informative or very opinionated but one thing is for sure.  I always am happy to see them.

Thanks Sharonna for the smile, the thoughts and the family tree.
    P.S. and thanks for showing that sharks aren't so bad after all.  They have families, too, just like we do. 
    See you on another, soon!
    Hugs and Smiles and Oh, Don says "Hi" too!  
    Big Giggles!!

Love,

Merlin 
    :) :)  
      November 7, 2018 4:47 AM MST

dont know of one
      November 6, 2018 3:04 PM MST

I like "Alice's Restaurant," too.
    :)

Hey, thanks for a 'thumbs up' for some of my questions.

And, hands DOWN(!), my choice is my own "Best Song I've Ever Heard." 

"Ode to Billie Joe" written and performed by Bobbie Gentry

~ I remember hearing it first as quite a young little guy and I loved it and listened over and over. The song remains my favorite to this day. I'm grateful to my parents who had an eclectic music collection. All sorts of types of music.

November 6, 2018 6:54 PM MST

Hi Welby~ :)  I've listened to your song twice now and as many fine songs are, found it very sad.  There seems to be a lot of symbolizm (sp)  flowing through it.  I think it would be a pretty hard song to grasp at a young age.  I'm glad you did.

It was my pleasure to give you a "Shout Out!" :) :)  You deserve it. :) :)

Love,
    Merlin

November 7, 2018 1:06 PM MST

Thanks again!

Hey, you might get a kick out of this -- oh, and thanks for listening - - yeah, a rather sad and morbid song for a young little guy to so very much fall in love with. In the song, the singer/narrator refers to her and Billie Joe "was throwing something off the Tallahatchie Bridge." Being so enamored with the song, over the years I've heard and read SO many people making huge interpretations of what the two were throwing and to figure out what they were throwing was "key" to understanding the meaning of the song. (I've even heard some people say it was an aborted baby. Whoa.)

Anyway, I specifically remember my first reactions as a child to this song --  and guess what? I read an interview with Bobbie Gentry and she shared her thoughts about the song. And, little boy me, even at a young age -- I had caught Gentry's entire meaning to the song! Ha!
    And here is the meaning (I'm paraphrasing Gentry) -- every time I listened, I kept thinking -- golly, these people are talking about Billie Joe's suicide around the dinner table so flippantly! (I didn't know the word "suicide" and "flippantly" as a child, ha!) Between all the casualness of talking about Billie Joe's death -- here are those interruptions of "Pass the biscuits, please" and "I'll have another piece of apple pie . . ."
    As a young child, I always thought, "Hey, this is really very sad! And these people are talking about it all so non-caring! And, people, can't you tell -- the singer and narrator really loved this Billie Joe and you all don't seem to have an idea of her hurt."
    Gentry also said, whatever Billie Joe and the girl threw off the bridge -- it doesn't matter to the bigger picture of the song.

In my own little way, I've taken some pride in being such a strange little guy to have picked up on the meaning of the song as a youngster. And all  the while, over the years, adults kept focusing on the throwing-off-the-bridge when I sort of knew all along it was the casualness of the talking around the dinner table that was important.
    And, wow! Every time I listen -- the sheer poetry of Gentry's lyrics!!! The lyrics pack such a strong punch in such an every-day type of talking! Blows me away! The song is timeless to me.

Oh, and no, I've not seen the movie "Ode to Billie Joe" and I have no desire to. I'd rather just enjoy my own memories of the song, memories of me, lying on the bedroom floor, listening to the entire album, but mostly, listening to this song.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 7, 2018 9:06 PM MST
      November 7, 2018 8:59 PM MST

November 6, 2018 7:38 PM MST

I am cracking up!  This is a great song I haven't heard it in YEARS!!

Thanks CallMelshmael for the smile and contribution to my story-telling songs.

I'm going to play it again!

November 7, 2018 1:12 PM MST

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 8, 2018 2:17 PM MST
      November 7, 2018 9:45 PM MST