Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Would you dumpster dive for this?

Would you dumpster dive for this?

Posted - November 8, 2018

Responses

•   November 8, 2018 10:00 AM MST

no, i'll get sick eating it
      November 8, 2018 10:51 AM MST

ABSOLUTELY!!
    But, I might not have to....

I have a quick story to tell you. :)

Way back in 1987/88, I think it was, it doesn't matter. Anyway, a long time ago, I worked at a french bakery in Boulder.  We made fresh pastries daily.  The bakers would start their shifts at 3:30 am.  In order to stay true to the word,, we would throw out exorbitant amounts of pastries that did not sell that day in the dumpster.
    It killed me to do this but if we were caught taking home any bread, pastries, or anything out of the bakery, not bought, we were fired.  It really sucked.
    One night a bunch of decided to dumpster dive the dumpster.  We had all the pastries we wanted in a certain bag and put it in the corner of the dumpster for an easy grab. 
    At about 11 pm, we gathered and went for our fearless dumpster dive.  
    We got there, only to find, two homeless guys who had already taken our own little treat! We just stood there, beaten at our own game, watching as they continued to scrounge through the dumpster.  They were packing more goodies up for their other homeless friends.
    Someone finally said something and after a few awkward introductions, we left together for a coffee shop.  We sat and listened to their stories and tales of being homeless and jobless.
    They also told us how much trouble they got into for "diving" this french bakery dumpster before and how the police came by every hour to make sure it wasn't being bothered.  They said, at one point, there was a lock on it.  I never saw the lock nor had any idea someone would/could do that.   I'm not so sure about how true that part is.  I can't imagine locking garbage BUT anyway, I took to heart the rest of the stories.

The next time I worked, I asked the manager about it and said it was such a waste of food and expressed how we could help these people if they weren't so stingy.
    Nothing came of it but it continued to bother me.  I quit.  
    Then, right before I left to move back to Oregon,  I went to that bakery and found they started a program.  Each night they would bag up a good majority of the french bread and pastries they didn't sell and take them to the shelter.  And... some of the employees kept a few french breads and pastries and would leave them in a bag, in a really easy to reach place, on the left side of the dumpster for the homeless who couldn't make it to the shelter.  I don't think my friends and I had anything to do with this because I heard of it long after I worked there, like years after.   But, I was SO Happy to find they were doing something right, for a change, to help the community of people who weren't as fortunate as most people in Boulder, who can afford to buy a french pastry.

This post was edited by Merlin at November 15, 2018 6:08 AM MST
      November 8, 2018 11:49 AM MST

• A quick story?  That's a freakin' book! xD  I love it! :)
      November 8, 2018 11:55 AM MST

Hi Wakko~ :)....I'm giggling... :)  It all depends on how fast you read.  See, I'm like a speed-demon typist and figure if you can read as fast as I type, you'll finish in 2 hours, easy. :) :)
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I haven't been on for a couple days.
    Thank you for the AP. :) :)
    You're awesome!:) :)
    Big hugs and smiles, :) :)
    Love,
    Merlin
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at November 11, 2018 2:57 AM MST
      November 11, 2018 2:54 AM MST

Great story!
      November 8, 2018 2:19 PM MST

Thank you kjames. :) :)  
      November 11, 2018 2:26 AM MST

I brought a bunch of doughnuts home from a dumpster when I was working nights and drove by there late every night.  My older daughter was mortified and yelled at me saying, "Don't ever do that again!"  Doughnut crumbs sprayed out of her mouth as she said that.  My younger daughter didn't say much but later I learned that she and her high school friends had raided that same dumpster one night.  They weren't very discreet, having a food fight in the parking lot of Dunkin' Donuts.  I went by there again one night and there was a lock on the dumpster. I can't say for sure that it was because of the food fight. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at November 11, 2018 2:32 AM MST
      November 8, 2018 6:42 PM MST

So people and businesses CAN lock their garbage!?!  I am truly flabbergasted!!  

As good as they are, it's not like something you should "do time" for.  It's a mere 59 cent doughnut for pete's sake!  I know you didn't "do time" but you probably would get fined more than the doughnut.  I just think that is insane.  How petty can they get?? 

HUMPH!!
    I"ll dumpster dive Dunkin Doughnuts with you any night, CallMelshmael!!  :) ;) This post was edited by Merlin at November 11, 2018 2:59 AM MST
      November 11, 2018 2:37 AM MST