Active Now

Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What is a substance to which you are allergic yet wish you were not, and/or one to which you don't mind being allergic?

What is a substance to which you are allergic yet wish you were not, and/or one to which you don't mind being allergic?

(I'm NKA; No Known Allergies. It merely means that whatever can kill me has not yet been discovered or that no one knows what can kill me.)

~

Posted - November 8, 2018

Responses

• "Apple pie" ... none of the ingredients
     bother me separately, but combined
            is a different story!

November 8, 2018 11:45 PM MST

I'm allergic to everything; scents, dyes, pollen, dust, penicillin, and metals. I have largely learned to live with them all, but if I could magically rid myself of one... it would probably be artificial scents. I can't handle being around most air fresheners, cologne, perfume, etc., and if I ever rejoin the living and leave my house again, those are the hardest to avoid in public. 

I "mind" having them all, but if I were to flip the question and say I could get rid of all of them if I kept just one, I'd probably keep the penicillin allergy. It only impacts me once a year or so, whereas the others are a daily concern.
      November 9, 2018 12:37 AM MST

Thanks for the warning.
      November 9, 2018 12:44 AM MST

Scents are in everything, soap, deodorant hair products, how do you avoid them?
      November 9, 2018 4:52 AM MST

I am generally ok with essential oils. It's chemical smells that mess with me. Virtually everything nowadays comes in a fragrance-free option. In some cases, I have specific products I always use and never deviate; I'm very particular about personal products and rarely stray from my preferred brand, simply because straying can mean I break out in hives instantaneously and be miserable for a week. Ex. Tide Free and Clear clothes detergent, Almay or Dry Idea clear gel deodorant, Dove fragrance-free body soap, either a fragrance-free store brand hand soap or Mrs. Meyers when I'm feeling adventurous. (The rhubarb scent is not all it's cracked up to be. Blech.) For a while, I was using bar soap made by a local artisan. That was a real treat for me because they had all kinds of scents and the products were pure and made with essential oils, but it got expensive and I got tired of driving out of my way for soap. lol 

When it comes to scents I don't necessarily come into physical contact with, like air fresheners or household cleaners, I also know what works. I'm far more likely to use things like vinegar, baking soda, and dish soap (free and clear) for scrubbing, but from time to time I'll do a sniff test. If I'm going to react to something, just smelling it will make my nose burn and eyes water, so I don't purchase it or use it. Those things don't make me get hives because I'm not touching them, but they cause sinus issues and sinus infections. 

My biggest problem is that people, in general, don't comprehend I legitimately become ill or treat me like I'm wrong for having an issue. The one thing my brother did to "help" me when my mom lived with me was to bring a bunch of cleaning supplies over. He threw a bunch of Mr. Clean into a mop bucket and started on the floors. I had to ask him to stop and get rid of it. He got mad and essentially told me I was being ridiculous. I used to job share with a woman; we did the same job at the same desk, just different hours. One day, she slathered herself on lotion and then used the phone. When I came in for my shift, I had a reaction to the phone. I asked her not to use stuff like that at the desk anymore. She gave me a bunch of literature and a lecture on why I needed to do a colon cleanse. :/ I had a boyfriend who liked keeping air fresheners in his car. Every time I got in, my eyes and nose would start pouring. Sometimes, he'd have the presence of mind to remove his air freshener if he knew we were going somewhere, but even that didn't help because the car was still saturated with the scent. The list goes on. I can control my environment and be fine. It's when other people get into the mix that I have issues. 
      November 9, 2018 8:44 AM MST

Wow, that is a constant problem for you.  It sounds like you have it under control as much as possible.  
      November 9, 2018 9:50 AM MST

• Bubblegirl! xD
      November 10, 2018 11:24 AM MST

I am also NKA. This post was edited by Element 99 at November 9, 2018 6:17 AM MST
      November 9, 2018 12:43 AM MST

• Cat dander.  Because my boyfriend has a lovely cat and I love cats :(
      November 9, 2018 1:28 AM MST

Tut tut tut......you seem to have forgot all about me over here in England.....just keep on trying to korect me and you'll discover very quickly what can kill you and what can't.....:( 
      November 9, 2018 1:53 AM MST

I'm completely immune to you. Hitting me with a cute feather or pounding your tiny fist against my chest won't hurt me at all, Dearie.
    ~
      November 9, 2018 6:17 AM MST

Are you saying you've been inoculated against me.....I do hope you didn't feel a prick when you got the needle for   me......plus, you  do realise a well placed high heel from a Eight stone cutie can exert 1600 psi plus on an ex Army GI's  privates .....:(
      November 9, 2018 11:04 AM MST

When I see an Army veteran, I'll warn him or her. (I'm a Marine.)

~
      November 10, 2018 12:48 AM MST

We have a saying in England which is very apt I think.....The bigger they are  the harded they fall......

There was a huge night club bouncer that worked in a very violent east end of London very popular club...
    The guy must have been 28 stone and super fit and not a chubby ........he threw a skinny eight stone bloke out that was a mouthy little trouble maker....
    The guy returned with a Samurai Sword .....one chop and the big guy and the big guy gave up his job.....
    The little guy was never caught..... 
    Complacency  is often people with big egos  biggest foe........ Never ever take things for granted ...wit and cunning you should always be away of ...:) 

Remember , women may be the weaker sex ....and be aware that we can get a head ache any time we want....:)
      November 10, 2018 2:22 AM MST

Who said anything about me being a big guy?  I'm neither tiny nor huge; potentially, I could have been the little guy in your tale above. The fact that the bouncer made a decision based on the stimuli that was presented to him is merely anecdotal, there are countless stories that evolve differently given the same set of circumstances. Marines are found in lots of sizes, just like in every other aspect of life. 
    ~
      November 10, 2018 5:28 AM MST

That very true in every aspect Mr D ....I was just pointing out the Colonel  Custer thingy .....big and powerful does not always beat the little man or woman.....:)

Ive also heard that  lots of Marine  are tiny,  yet one has the hardest, quickest punch every...it's the Mantis Shrimp and like me or love me ....hehe...I'm not to be messed with.....:)D
      November 10, 2018 12:37 PM MST

Politics.  Besides that there are seemingly in many earrings these days an alloy which when I try them on turns my lobes immediately red and sensitive.  Don't recall this when I was young.  Perhaps only age and natural deterioration. 
      November 9, 2018 5:34 AM MST

You're not allergic to politics. You may dislike the topic, it may rub you the wrong way, it may bore you, but it is not a substance that biologically or physiologically disagrees with you. 

:|
      November 9, 2018 6:15 AM MST

Well I would differ with that assessment. 
      November 9, 2018 6:40 AM MST

You may be allergic to nickel. It is used as an alloy metal in jewelry. The allergy is quite common. My mother had it.
      November 9, 2018 8:08 AM MST

I would not be surprised.  Thank you very much. 
      November 9, 2018 8:18 AM MST

I just learned about it last year.
      November 9, 2018 8:21 AM MST

Except possibly I may have some which contain nickel and do not bother me. I never noticed this before oh seven years ago.  Not that I owned much jewelry when I was younger but I did sometimes wear earrings. Or, and I hate to admit this , but when was 19 0r 20 a single earring which I thought was hip and sexy. Which demonstrates to you where I was in those days. 
      November 9, 2018 8:26 AM MST

I actually wrote a piece on nickel sensitivity. It's actually pretty crazy stuff. Nickel is called such because the original German miners dubbed it "kupfernickel" or "devil's copper." They thought it was copper, but it made them ill (rashes etc.), so they assumed the devil or some ill-meaning creature had cursed it. It got integrated into everything despite this and repeated contact with it will make you more prone to developing a sensitivity over time. Ergo, it would be normal to be fine with it for many years and then develop issues with it later in life. The US doesn't seem to care about this problem, but in the UK, there are lots of limits placed on nickel jewelry because so many people have problems with it. 
      November 10, 2018 1:17 AM MST