Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Girls: Do you qualify to join the MeToo movement? If you do, would you join it?

Girls: Do you qualify to join the MeToo movement? If you do, would you join it?

Posted - November 11, 2018

Responses

Do they have that in India?  That is not meant as a suggestion of any cultural or national "superiority" but I did not know it was international.  I don't know if I qualify.  Hard to believe they act like it is some new discovery or revelation. We were being harassed and assaulted before most of them were born and many of us learned to deal with it which I think should be a practical part of our education.  I think we need to be honest about our victimization but then do whatever is necessary to process it and deal with it for our own well-being and so we can be effective members of society.
      November 11, 2018 6:49 AM MST

Are you truly unaware of the atrocities that happen to women in India? The treatment of women in India is considered by many to be the biggest human rights crisis in the world. 

Yes, learning the importance of not tolerating and reporting abuse and harassment should be part of our education. In turn, learning that abusing and harassing people is not EVER acceptable and will result in consequences should also be part of our education. 

Most people agree that the single most important factor in helping victims to move past their abuse is for the perpetrators to face consequences. The injustice of no consequences for abusers hinders the healing process. 
      November 11, 2018 8:49 AM MST

I think you misunderstand. I was asking Neelie if they have that "metoo" movement in her country, not trying to question any "atrocities".  There will always be such abuse and harassment just as there will always be injustices and it is nothing but a pipe dream to imagine that labeling all involved as "perpetrators" and thinking that if they "face consequences" anything is going to change.  Wait for that and you will wait forever.  Meanwhile we have lives to live so we must learn how to best minimize our victimhood.  Vengeance would only make us more cruel.  Reporting only renders us more vulnerable?  Have you ever had to give public testimony for a rape?  Things are what they are and the only hope we have is to become socially aware and effective in dealing with things. Expecting Utopia and absolute justice only makes us weak and ineffective. 
      November 11, 2018 9:12 AM MST

Yes, maybe I did misunderstand. 

It's better that I don't respond to the rest of your comment. I strongly disagree with you, and experience tells me that explaining my position is a frustrating and fruitless exercise. 

Have a good day.
      November 11, 2018 9:23 AM MST

Yes officegirl, MeToo Movement is making mark in India these days!
      November 13, 2018 12:05 PM MST

Yes SavvyAnsley, Sexual harassment of women is one of the biggest problem prevailing in India. In 2016, the country recorded 106 rapes per day and four out of ten victims were minor as per Social Media The Quint in it's article dated 16.04.2018. Report showed that total of 38947 cases of rape were registered under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act as well as India Penal Code and among these 38947 cases, in36859 matters, accused are related to victims. What even worse is that these number is increasing day by day. In an another report, Washington Post in their article dated 27.06.2018 ranked India World's most dangerous country for women. Let's hope the MeToo movement help to reduce these numbers. This post was edited by Ritesh at November 14, 2018 1:58 AM MST
      November 13, 2018 11:57 AM MST

I've read a fair amount about it. I've always been enamored with much about the country, and it's just tragic how badly women are treated. 
      November 13, 2018 5:29 PM MST

That's right SavvyAnsley!
      November 14, 2018 2:43 AM MST

Yes.

No. I'm not a public figure and I don't have any desire to talk about my personal, painful experiences publicly. I think it's therapeutic for some people and that's great. 
      November 11, 2018 8:53 AM MST

I am willing to talk about them publicly because that is therapeutic for me. 
      November 11, 2018 9:14 AM MST

Sorry to hear that SavvyAnsley!
      November 13, 2018 12:06 PM MST

• 'm considering joining the #WHYNOT movement
      November 11, 2018 9:09 AM MST

• Haha
      November 13, 2018 12:10 PM MST

That would be awesome! I hope you're in a position to make an impact in this great organization!

https://whynotfoundation.org/
      November 13, 2018 5:26 PM MST

• I have already joined it the day it came out! I did speak out on other social media sites. I have no need to share those details here.  As unpleasant as it is to remember being assaulted its time for women to stop being afraid to speak out!  No one has a right to touch us against our will. NO ONE!
      November 11, 2018 9:14 AM MST

We can speak out all we wish and as long as that is therapeutic for us then it is beneficial.  However as long as it remains only commiseration and as long as we are looking to others to do anything about it then it will not make us stronger as effective people. I would point out that many of us were "speaking out" and learning to do something about it many years ago.  This post was edited by officegirl at November 14, 2018 2:00 AM MST
      November 11, 2018 9:20 AM MST

November 13, 2018 12:12 PM MST

i dont even know what that is
      November 11, 2018 2:51 PM MST

Fortunately, I don't qualify and hope you too!!
      November 13, 2018 7:37 AM MST

November 13, 2018 12:10 PM MST

Fortunately, I don't qualify and hope you too!!
      November 13, 2018 7:39 AM MST

• Mercifully, I've been spared that indignity. 
      November 13, 2018 5:01 PM MST

• I am in the minority here.  Sure, I have  had some past experiences of men taking advantage of their position at work, I had a work stalker, and some other experiences.    The difference is I didn't wait 25 or 30  years to decide to press charges, call them out, etc.    I don't doubt that many of the women in the news experienced the situations that they claim, but when they use the excuse that they were afraid to jeopardize their job -essentially putting their work before their so-called traumatic experience, waiting a few decades to out the people, I feel less sorry for them.   I also feel that this so-called "me-too" movement seems to be a popular bandwagon many people have chosen to hop on.   I am speaking in general terms, before the me-too peeps here get wound up.  I am sure there are many legit claims...
      November 13, 2018 12:04 PM MST

• Lavender, I feel very certain that most sexual encounters which the MeToo women complain about today were consensual at that time. There always were avenues to complain if they had wanted to. 
      November 13, 2018 5:11 PM MST