Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Girls: Do you qualify to join the MeToo movement? If you do, would you join it?

Girls: Do you qualify to join the MeToo movement? If you do, would you join it?

Posted - November 11, 2018

Responses

• Exactly, and let's take the case of Cosby for one -   Everyone in "the Biz" knew Cosby had the rep of drugging women, taking advantage, etc.  The comedian, Hannibal Burress, even said that 'everyone" was aware of his reputation.  Still, these women would go up to his hotel room.   Was Cosby a pig? Sure.  Was what he did wrong? Of course.   Even years ago when Cosby himself admitted to doing what he did, no one else cared enough to create some kind of Me Too bandwagon on which to jump.     In Weinstein's case, I know that Ashley Judd's and Mina Sorvina's career took a nose dive because they said "NO" to him.  Again, everyone knew of his reputation yet they said nothing, including the Me Too-er's heroine, Oprah.  She knew.  Uma Thurman knew.   Yet they all kept quiet.   No one cares that they all knew and enabled the slob by being silent.  Why?  Because their careers were the priority.    So, you cannot come several years later and claim mental anguish and all this other bogus stuff.  I call some BS on that.
      November 13, 2018 5:33 PM MST

• And in many cases it was a clear give-and-take situation which the girls were well aware of and let themselves into it very willingly. 
      November 13, 2018 6:09 PM MST

• I absolutely agree.
      November 13, 2018 6:24 PM MST

Was it really so!
      November 14, 2018 2:12 AM MST

• I mean in general, not necessarily with reference to any individual. 
      November 14, 2018 2:46 AM MST

I think Men too have right to qualify there!
      November 13, 2018 12:17 PM MST

• I agree, including Kevin Spacey's victim who was only about 14 years old at the time.   Where is the outrage for that??    Sure, Spacey has been kind of quiet, and for a few moments people were disgusted.  Certainly a child such as he (the victim)  should have had far more of this attention than ADULT women who chose to go to hotel rooms with actors and studio Suits decades ago. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 14, 2018 2:12 AM MST
      November 13, 2018 12:21 PM MST

He was fired immediately, and it's unlikely that he'll work again. I think it's logical that the more victims, the longer and louder the public outrage. 

I think it's sad that so many women are judgmental and/or not supportive of other women, especially those who have experienced assault or harassment. The way that so many women supported Kavanaugh and criticized and judged Dr. Ford made my heart ache. 
      November 13, 2018 5:39 PM MST

• He (Spacey) did have a movie that was just out I thought.  He is still working, but keeping an understandably low profile.  I believe he returned to work this past June.

November 13, 2018 6:37 PM MST

The movie was already filmed before Spacey was outed as a pedo/harasser (filming ended Jan 2016) It was released to video on demand and only appeared in a few theaters. 

According to his filmography, this is the last thing he's done. Production was cancelled on other projects. 

November 14, 2018 9:36 PM MST

• True about the movie.  I did hear he was back at work in June, however it doesn't really matter. haha
      November 14, 2018 9:47 PM MST

Cory Booker's alleged victim was a man as well. 
    And there are several male models who say they suffered the same a the actresses. 
      November 13, 2018 8:00 PM MST

Don't tell me, you qualify there, do you?
      November 14, 2018 2:17 AM MST

Sort of..
      November 14, 2018 2:34 AM MST

I was part of the #MeToo movement before it existed.
      November 13, 2018 10:34 PM MST

November 14, 2018 2:38 AM MST

• How so? Had you complained or taken legal action against your violator? 
      November 14, 2018 3:34 AM MST

The hashtag existed before 2017, but Alyssa Milano popularized it when she Tweeted, "If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote 'Me too' as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem."

Ergo, it's not about whether or not anyone has chosen to take legal action, it's about acknowledging that it happens and demonstrating how many people are impacted by sexual harassment and assault. Even Alyssa has not come out and told her #MeToo story. We don't know why she kicked it off, only that sexual assault or harassment impacted her. 

As many of the other answers here demonstrate, not every woman files a complaint nor speaks about it. Not every woman names her attacker publicly. That is ok, and that's not what #MeToo is about anyway. It's about shedding light on the prevalence of these offenses. 

I was a teenager when I was impacted. It should have been my parents who took legal action. They did not. As an adult, I have chosen to be vocal about the prevalence of assault and harassment in the hopes that more people will step up when it happens to them; that they will not feel ashamed, suffer in silence, feel alone, or believe it was their fault. That is what #MeToo is. 
      November 14, 2018 10:36 AM MST

• Amen!
      November 14, 2018 4:01 PM MST