Active Now

Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Does President Trump's endorsement of Nancy Pelosi for House Speaker mean they can work together to reign in drug prices?

Does President Trump's endorsement of Nancy Pelosi for House Speaker mean they can work together to reign in drug prices?

Lower prices for prescription drugs is thought to be a priority of both the White House and Democrats in Congress. Should Big Pharma be worried?

Posted - November 11, 2018

Responses

reign  rein

I think you just broke my heart a little.

November 11, 2018 4:04 AM MST

Oops! Grrrr.
      November 11, 2018 6:49 AM MST

Not to my mind. 
    I think Trump sees Pelosi as a great liability (I would agree with him on this) to Democrats amid a soon-to-be Democratic majority House, with incoming members divided about her regaining the speakership. 

Throwing Presidential “support“ behind Pelosi is a ploy to put Dems at a disadvantage by advocating for one who has proven herself an ineffectual, tone-deaf leader and is not inclined toward impeaching Trump. We know how little The Donald thinks of women in general, how much does that play here... 

This appears to me an attempt to ward off stronger personalities who might seek to become Speaker, and present a more serious headache for the President.

*Today, as a veteran, I must comment that I am thoroughly disgusted by Trump’s refusal to pay homage to the American war vets buried in France (where he is today, stinking up WWI Memorial proceedings there), for fear of a little rain. Big pu**y. 
    This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 11, 2018 7:38 PM MST
      November 11, 2018 5:48 AM MST

He couldn't risk getting that sh*tshow he calls hair wet in front of cameras, Don!
      November 11, 2018 8:16 AM MST

First, let me thank you for your service, sir.  Without people like you, we would not have the ability to be free to speak our minds here or anywhere else.  Trump claims to be supportive our the troops and veterans, yet can't seem to make it to the memorial for American war veterans because it was raining.  He claimed his helicopter was not able to get him to the event.  How did everyone else manage to get there?  He has been in office almost two years yet has never once gone to meet with the troops i Iraq or Afghanistan.  

Second, I completely agree with you about Trump's intentions as they relate to Nancy Pelosi.  She was on Face the Nation this morning and considering how difficult it was at times for her to form a cogent thought, it is time for the Democrats to choose someone else as Speaker of the House.  And, I say that as a Democrat.

Personally, unless there is absolute proof that Trump has acted in an egregious manner which would incontrovertibly support impeachment, I believe that would be an uphiill battle to an end that would give us Pence in the Oval Office.  There are those who believe he would be worse than Trump.  

The House could better use their time attempting to find bi-partisan support for many bills which were previously not brought up for discussion by the GOP.  They have a golden opportunity to make inroads with health care, immigration and infrastructure and, with a bit of luck, they won't blow it.
      November 11, 2018 10:33 AM MST

Yep, Pelosi is a dope. She is partly responsible for the bad patch the Dems find themselves in. 

I agree that impeachment at this point  would be wasted effort absent clear evidence of wrongdoing. The people’s time is better served handling the people’s pressing business. 
      November 11, 2018 2:05 PM MST

I believe there are more than a few Dems who do not want Pelosi in that spot, so hopefully, they will be able to effect change.  We'll see.
      November 11, 2018 8:44 PM MST

• It means Trump has taken up a new profession, planting tulips. :P
      November 11, 2018 6:34 AM MST

Trump wanting to negotiate lower drug prices with Big Pharma was a ploy for votes in the midterms.  I don't believe it will go anywhere because he won't want to go against Big Business.  There is too much money to be had from them to poke them in the eye.  
      November 11, 2018 10:37 AM MST

No, that was part of the presidential campaign. 
      November 11, 2018 3:07 PM MST

We'll see what happens.
      November 11, 2018 8:43 PM MST

nnaybe
      November 11, 2018 2:50 PM MST

• It was just a photo op for the don, doubtful they will do anything together..
      November 11, 2018 3:01 PM MST

Candidate Trump supported this so if the Dems want to play ball yes it could happen. I don't think they are interested in working with President Trump on anything.
      November 11, 2018 3:10 PM MST