Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Did the Merriam-Webester website get hacked?

Did the Merriam-Webester website get hacked?

I do not have a printed copy of webster. So if you do please check if it have the below definition, and let us know.

trumpery  noun

trum·​pery | \ˈtrəm-p(ə-)rē \

Definition of trumpery 

1a : worthless nonsense

b : trivial or useless articles : junk a wagon loaded with household trumpery— Washington Irving

2 archaic : tawdry finery

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trumpery

Posted - November 11, 2018

Responses

• No hack. That is a real word and those are its definitions. Can confirm in an old American Heritage dictionary I own.
      November 11, 2018 5:58 PM MST

Great. thank you.
      November 11, 2018 8:23 PM MST

In addition to Merriam-Webster, there is an even more pertinent definition in THE URBAN DICTIONARY: 

TRUMPERY - noun: The use of outright lies, political smears, bait and switch tactics, DEMAGOGUERY, DEFLECTION,
    name-calling, political shell games, blame shifting, threats, FEARMONGERING,
    and any side show con-man methods to shield oneself from prosecution as a traitor, criminal, liar, fool, madman and/or imbecile.

Talk about a living language... just saying. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 11, 2018 8:28 PM MST
      November 11, 2018 7:17 PM MST

Yes, but Webster is an authoritative dictionary, not accepting and publishing just any definition the users type in.
      November 11, 2018 8:21 PM MST

No.  That unfortunate last name has a lot of negative connotations.

Not all.  But Trump in England is fart, plain and simple.  

November 11, 2018 9:07 PM MST

Soo many ways to blow your horn. We all have a lot to learn.
      November 12, 2018 4:29 AM MST

not that i know of
      November 12, 2018 9:45 AM MST