Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Have you ever traveled to a place because it was featured in a movie that you saw and you wanted to experience it firsthand? If so, where?

Have you ever traveled to a place because it was featured in a movie that you saw and you wanted to experience it firsthand? If so, where?

~

Posted - November 12, 2018

Responses

• "Yes" ...  I went to Wabasha, Mn. to see the town where the "Grumpy/Grumpier Old Men" movies were filmed. I found out later that the majority of the filming was done in a nearby town.

November 12, 2018 3:10 AM MST

not yet
      November 12, 2018 9:41 AM MST

Bodega, California, USA

and

Bodega Bay, California, USA

Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"

My trip there was my absolute favorite part of my trip in California.

Here's the building that was the school where 'Annie Hayward' taught. (I think that's the character's name; she was portrayed by Suzanne Pleshette.)

PLOT SPOILER!!! "THE BIRDS"!!!

The playground beside this building was where all the crows congregated before attacking the schoolchildren.

Potter Schoolhouse and St. Teresa Church, right, were featured in Hitchcock’s “The Birds.” (Brian J. Cantwell / The Seattle Times)
      November 12, 2018 11:40 AM MST

Several trips to Evans City, Pennsylvania, USA

George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" (1968), my favorite movie

This is the cemetery featured in the opening scenes. This particular grave headstone is seen very clearly in the movie.
    From what I was told, the trees in the cemetery seen in the movie were mostly downed by a tornado.

Image result for evans city pennsylvania night of the living dead This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 12, 2018 8:24 PM MST
      November 12, 2018 11:46 AM MST

Quantico in a documentary so I went there for TBS
      November 12, 2018 12:07 PM MST

The Basic School!  Ooorah, Semper Fi, Mac!
    ~
      November 12, 2018 1:05 PM MST

• Actually it was not me it was a girl from Spain who I had been friends with online,though we were very different. We enjoyed a correspondence. Suddenly she wants to visit me, and when she gets here, she asks how many times will we be able to go downtown Pittsburgh.  I couldn't manage to take her more than three times. The last trip we were in at Market Square when she asked. "I wonder where they are?"  I asked who?  She said the guys from the TV show Queer eye for the Straight guy !  I was stunned she actually thought the actors from that show would be in town walking around for her pleasure. lol.  I explained about how filming might have begun here at the start of the show but was filmed mostly elsewhere.  She was so disappointed I felt bad for her:)
      November 12, 2018 8:05 PM MST

That's a great story!
    :)

Pittsburgh -- that's near Evans City -- site of "Night of the Living Dead" in my answer.

I've been to Kennywood Amusement Park near there, too. I think it's a great park.
      November 12, 2018 8:14 PM MST

• OMG, Night of the Living Dead has a cult following here. At Halloween there are many costumes based on that movie;) I think George Romero died last year.  He did a sequel Dawn of the Dead too.  Love Kennywood, been there many times, glad you enjoyed being there too:)
      November 12, 2018 8:28 PM MST

Yes, Romero died recently. Last year sounds about right, yes. Yeah, I've seen all of Romero's 'dead' movies.
    Probably no movie has scared me more than that original "Night of the Living Dead." I first saw it when I was about 13. It still scares me as an adult. And I love every minute of it. I'd fit right in with the other Night of the Living Dead 'Cult-ers.'

At Kennywood there was a coaster called, I think, "Steel Phantom." I loved it. I remember the biggest and steepest hill was the SECOND hill, not the usual first hill. And that second hill roared down a hillside. I think I heard the coaster was changed a bit and renamed. But the whole park -- I just really enjoyed the entire "feel" to the park. It's not overly huge and it's rather picturesque to me. I like how the park had top thrill rides, yet, also respected its long history as a park -- with older rides which were just as fun! Loved it.

While I'm at it with all the Pittsburgh stuff -- when I was there I also visited the home of Steel Industrialist Henry Clay Frick. That man intrigues me in various ways.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 13, 2018 12:01 AM MST
      November 12, 2018 8:40 PM MST

• I haven't seen all Romero's films but the first was the best I am sure:)  The Steel Phantom had a wooden track I believe and was the biggest coaster in the state at the time:) I believe we have a trip planned to Frick house while my boyfriend is visiting:)  Lots of wonderful history in South Western Pennsylvania, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck knob surrounded by our beautiful mountains:)
      November 12, 2018 10:58 PM MST

Yes, true!
    Enjoy!
      November 13, 2018 7:38 AM MST