Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are early parental communication practices a key factor of a person's mental health?

Are early parental communication practices a key factor of a person's mental health?

Posted - November 14, 2018

Responses

Not so much communication, but responses. The bond a person forms with their first caregivers sets the tone of all relationships they'll have. If they have a responsive parent who consistently demonstrates care/ concern, they'll likely go on to engage in similar relationships later. If the parent is abusive or neglectful, the person may become avoidant or anxious. At least that's the gist of attachment theory, and little has come out that conflicts with it. 

That said, a good counselor and a sincere desire to work through things can help, so a person who is struggling as an adult because of their attachments or lack there of with their initial caregivers aren't stuck with it for life.
      November 14, 2018 8:54 AM MST

i think so
      November 14, 2018 9:35 AM MST

Generally if the communications are preceded by, or followed beating s with a large stick I would have say yes.

Seriously I see enough of negative communications with children/kids.  Verbal, mental and sometimes physical beatings that is cause me to wonder how that child will ever grow up to be "normal".  I am not talking about a spanking - I am talking about an ongoing pattern of abuse
      November 14, 2018 11:53 AM MST