Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » So if President Trump is such a Nazi dictator, why is he endorsing the bipartisan bill to liberalize prison and sentencing laws?

So if President Trump is such a Nazi dictator, why is he endorsing the bipartisan bill to liberalize prison and sentencing laws?

The deal calls for investment in anti-recidivism programs and lower mandatory minimum sentences for drug and other offenses. It is being put forth by a coalition of moderate Democrats and Republicans in Congress.

Granted, there are real reasons to dislike the guy, but for the group of you that constantly harps on and insists on beating into the ground the ridiculous, baseless theme of Trump as some kind of Hitler reincarnate, and believes that all of us who disagree with you are so-called "Trumpicans" - and you all know who you are, here's a chance to elevate your intellect and show your ability to actually think and engage in intelligent, rational discussion for a change.

Posted - November 14, 2018

Responses

I can’t speak as one who thinks of Trump as Hitler incarnate, that’s Rosie’s schtick, but this one isn’t so complicated. 

The criminal justice reform bill you cite has been supported by a critical mass of Republicans for a long time, there is no political risk for Trump, and the bipartisan support of it makes Trump look good without much effort by getting on board. We know how important that is.

IMO, this bill is a long overdue correction of bad policies, and there was simply no substantive argument against it. It’s an indictment of our elected reps that it took so long to arrive. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 15, 2018 3:44 PM MST
      November 15, 2018 3:33 AM MST

Indeed it is overdue, DB. But I stand by my point that supporting such a thing doesn't fit that ridiculous, hyperbolic narrative.
      November 15, 2018 5:14 AM MST

We are agreed on that. There are more accurate analogies than Hitler. 
      November 15, 2018 6:38 AM MST

have no idea
      November 15, 2018 2:56 PM MST

Short answer...he is kissing the Dem's asses, trying to make piece.
      November 15, 2018 3:45 PM MST

Hmm, sounds nice but I don’t think so. It will surely come back around. 

“I helped you with that prison reform you wanted, now let’s talk about that wall we need.” This post was edited by Indigo at November 15, 2018 8:38 PM MST
      November 15, 2018 4:01 PM MST

In which case they will tell him to bugger off.
      November 15, 2018 8:31 PM MST

That's political deal-making, which is what every president does.
      November 15, 2018 8:39 PM MST