Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » In your entire life, have you ever eaten food that was meant for someone else? What were the circumstances of at least one such incident? ~

In your entire life, have you ever eaten food that was meant for someone else? What were the circumstances of at least one such incident? ~

Posted - November 15, 2018

Responses

The only time I can remember doing that was when my brother had an extended hospital stay and I was at the hospital most of the time for a two week period. When the meals were brought around for the patients, some of them had checked out. The lady who delivered the meals would bring me whatever meal was left. I will never forget her kindness.
      November 15, 2018 4:36 AM MST

November 15, 2018 4:38 AM MST

Many times and many places, generally involved old C-Rations or some of the MRE's that were left by the time my units had received them.  Many a meal I asked myself who did this _____ of ______ really belong to?  I was convinced that poor Asop died in the Trojan Wars just to avoid being issued this ration. 

Do note I have a bad habit of exaggerating some points
    https://www.mreinfo.com/images/mre/mre-20-2009-spaghetti-02.jpg

https://www.mreinfo.com/images/mre/mre-20-2009-spaghetti-02.jpg This post was edited by Archerchef at November 16, 2018 8:55 AM MST
      November 15, 2018 10:57 AM MST

(Asop Aesop)

November 15, 2018 8:53 PM MST

Randy in a former life were you t Nun who kept correting my spelling?  :-)  Tnak you too f-ing funny.  Now what was your opinion on the MRE's (Meals rejected by Ethiopiands)  Jarhead?
      November 17, 2018 8:19 AM MST

Randy BTW this was my least favorite, Spaghetti ranked up with the C-rats with Limas and Ham - Just saying.  What were your FAv's
      November 17, 2018 8:22 AM MST

In the sense that I have eaten people who dared touch a sandwich destined for me; sure.
      November 15, 2018 11:35 AM MST

not yet
      November 15, 2018 2:55 PM MST

I can't think of a single instance.  I did on the occasion of a formal banquet dinner drink the glass of iced tea that belonged to the person seated next to me.  I was so embarrassed but since that day in the 1980s, she and I have kept in touch and become friends. 
      November 15, 2018 6:16 PM MST

I can't think of a single incident where I did it, but I went out with a friend a few months back. I live in the suburbs, which has been a constant source of mockery from said person who was accustomed to the culture of downtown Phoenix. This particular person has a thing for ethnic foods and loves boba tea, which I find repulsive because I cannot imagine eating a drink. That is soooo gross. But, I digress. There happens to be one shop near me which offers boba tea and I was over-the-moon excited that I finally got to take my friend there and show them that the burbs do indeed have swanky non-chain joints with edible drinks. 

So, we order and stand around for a while. They eventually call my number and I go up to the counter. There's nothing placed within easy reach and no employees are in sight, but there is a single bag of food which looks like our orders and one drink there. The drink is filled with nasty floating things, so I surmise it's my friend's drink, collect it, and pass it off. The friend drank some of it and then realized it wasn't theirs. Oooh. I did not hear the end of that one. The person was so mortified they wanted to leave there and then. I took the drink back and found an employee and told them I had taken it by mistake and drank some. They gave me the look of death, said nothing, took the drink, and left. A few minutes later, a different employee wordlessly left our drinks on the counter. 

My friend has not gone into a restaurant with me since. Oops. :/
      November 15, 2018 10:09 PM MST

LOL, great story!  You shouldn't be losing friends so easily and so often!  I may have to start a Go-Fund-Me page for you.

November 15, 2018 10:19 PM MST

lol What are you going to do, buy me a friend?
      November 15, 2018 10:28 PM MST

Is that a wish, or a hint?

~
      November 15, 2018 10:30 PM MST

LMAO I don't know what the GoFundMe page would be for. 

I actually have a friend visiting from out of town visiting me soon. He purchased tickets for us to see a show and, without consulting me, picked up an extra two seats. He later suggested I invite a friend or two. After a brief pause, I asked, "Do you even know me at all?" *sigh* I might just sit on the far end and leave the empty two seats between us for kicks. 

(I know... it's a wonder I don't have a whole local fan following with a sense of humor like that.)

Great picture by the way. That's going to be my new wallpaper. ;)
      November 15, 2018 10:42 PM MST

Do you mean eating someone's dinner?   Not sure why I would do that.  Anytime you patronize a restaurant you are essentially eating food which was planned for a particular clientele or demographic rather than you specifically.  Unless you are such a good customer they alter their menu for you.  Or do you mean "may I have the shrimp/ potatoes/ rice/ peas you don't want?"  When I was young and less well off I would eat left-overs from tables people had vacated. 
      November 16, 2018 5:46 AM MST

I meant exactly what I wrote, eating food that was meant for someone else. People who choose to answer may decide how it applies to their own experience. No need to overanalyze nor complicate it. 
    ~
      November 16, 2018 7:51 AM MST

My mother used to tell me that as a very young child, I would steal my father's French toast. Nothing much came of it, she just made more.
      November 16, 2018 7:00 AM MST

• When my daughter was still young enough to go "trick or treat-ing", as soon as her head hit the pillow, I stole the Resee's from her stash.  
      November 17, 2018 8:47 AM MST