Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Anyone watch/listen to the Leah Remini show about Jehovah's Witnesses? They seem to be similar to Scientology in some respects. Scary?

Anyone watch/listen to the Leah Remini show about Jehovah's Witnesses? They seem to be similar to Scientology in some respects. Scary?

We have a son and daughter-in-law who are members of Jehovah's witnesses and our relationship with them is very loving and close and always has been and (according to what was shown last night if true) they would have shunned us long ago. What's going on? What are the rules governing family members with whom the Jehovah's Witnesses engage who are not themselves Jehovah's Witnesses? All we know is that we are NOT allowed to send presents for any occasion or cards to celebrate any occasion. So we don't. Beyond that we know nothing. So why the need for an expose which is what this seems to me to be. It is very confusing and scary. Jim saved the recording and he thinks he might want to show it to them when they visit us which will be in a few months. I'm against it. Maybe the fact that we have seen it would cause them to distance themselves from us.  I don't want to gamble. Any help out there to shed some light on this? Thanks.

Posted - November 15, 2018

Responses

All religious sects have their secrets.
    The higher you get in their "ranks", the more is revealed.
    So the "rank and file" followers don't know as much, and by the time someone gets high enough to know the real agenda it is usually too late.
    Sort of like the Mafia.

As to your dilemma ... unless they have expressed doubts/questions on their own, they will view you questioning it as an attack on their beliefs.
    And humans have a strong tendency to entrench in their beliefs when "attacked". This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at November 15, 2018 11:29 AM MST
      November 15, 2018 7:33 AM MST

I very  much appreciate your reading and responding to my question Walt. We were shocked with what we saw/heard last night. Jim's tendency would be to let our son have a chance to rebut it but your point is EXCELLENT! Those far down the ladder may not know about what goes on up above. I don't want to jeopardize our relationship. I think I got Jim to agree. I'm going to share your reply with him if you don't mind. An opinion from someone who has no dog in the fight might convince him! Happy Thursday! :) Jim just read my question, your reply and my reply to your reply. He thanks you too and agrees that your point is well taken. The kids don't aspire to be Elders or higher which is where it starts to get a little dicey. I think most of the folks who appeared on the show were higher ups and had devoted theirs lives for decades to the religion and then for whatever reason became disenchanted. Thanks again Walt. You're  pal! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 15, 2018 7:55 AM MST
      November 15, 2018 7:45 AM MST

What is "funny" is that Leah's show is just doing what Christian churches have been doing for decades.
    Many churches have "seminars" where they "expose the secrets" of their rivals (usually Mormonism, Scientology, and Jehovah's Witness).
    Of course, the vast majority of people who attend belong to the church hosting the event.
    Preaching to the choir ... but it makes the choir feel superior to "the lost".
      November 15, 2018 11:09 AM MST

If any church needs exposure what about the Mormon multiple wives policy? Doesn't that still go on today? Marrying off their young daughters to pedophiles who have multiple child bride wives is disgusting. Each sect in Christianity believes it is superior. Pedestrian thought process which is the way human beings all think about their choices. "If there were a better way we'd be doing it!" Sheesh. Sigh. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      November 16, 2018 3:15 PM MST

No, the "main" Mormon Church no longer supports polygamy or child marriage.  (though there are smaller branches that do)

I enjoy when South Park or Family Guy "tweaks" a religion.
      November 16, 2018 3:18 PM MST

I don't watch either of them Walt. The Church might not support it but aren't there sister wives living with one man here and there and everywhere? Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 16, 2018 3:34 PM MST

Yep ... that whole "reality" show.
    Though I can't remember if they're officially "married" (even in one of the minor sects), or just living together.
    Well, not "together", since IIRC all the wives have separate houses.
    Which makes me wonder - how does the "husband" afford that many houses?  And families?
     I don't think all the wives have jobs.  Maybe he smuggles drugs?  {shrug}

November 19, 2018 8:39 AM MST

They're all pedophiles and pick 'em real young. 15 or 16. Sweet young things these girls are . Their first experience with sex is a dirty old man. He** if ya ask me. Not even a handsome manly muscular drop-dead dreamboat! He be a stinky smelly wrinkly dirty old man.  If that's Karma then these gals must have been hellions in prior lives because that kind of life would just kill my soul. Thank you for your reply  Walt and Happy Tuesday! :)
      November 20, 2018 6:08 AM MST

No but I have watched her Scientology series with great interest.  I feel badly for those people but you know they choose it for themselves and usually out of the best possible motives. We want to help others, we want to feel like we belong - but then we end up just serving some power-hungry master who despises us.  Years ago Scientologists tried to recruit me.  They took me to one of their buildings and had me take a personality test from which they concluded many very accurate things about me both good and bad.  But then they tried to sell me courses so I could improve myself.  I was all of 18 or so and knew very little about life but sounded suspicious to me.  If they wanted to help me so much then why did they want to charge me for it?  Best stay away from that kind of thing. Also if we are going to believe in something best to have some kind of understanding of what we are believing in.   A lot of "service"organizations of any kind are like that, also political. 
      November 15, 2018 8:12 AM MST

Scary, and rather cult-like.
      November 15, 2018 11:29 AM MST

• I love Leah Remini for helping to expose these cults.   Catholic church is guilty as well, they just don't wear secret underwear, and they celebrate birthdays.  
      November 15, 2018 12:50 PM MST

Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday lavender. I think the cult of the john of don is the most destructive dangerous devastating to date. All trumpicans do his bidding with their entire being without questioning his words or deeds. They will follow him to he** and drag the rest of us with them if the great don commands it of them. SIGH. :( This post was edited by RosieG at November 16, 2018 8:38 AM MST
      November 16, 2018 2:48 AM MST

• Very unsettling indeed, Rosie.     Happy Friday, and I hope you enjoy your weekend.
      November 16, 2018 8:38 AM MST

Indeed. The worst is yet to come. The unraveling of the man is accelerating. You ain't seen nuthin' yet! Buckle up. Thank you for your reply lavender!
      November 16, 2018 2:25 PM MST

• The Orange blob is apparently coming to California to toss paper towels to and/or visit the victims.   Of course, the areas currently burning are mainly Republican  ( I know not all victims are Republican, but the area in which they live is mostly) - gotta let his gang know that he is with them in their time of need, I suppose. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 16, 2018 3:15 PM MST
      November 16, 2018 2:45 PM MST

I did not know that. So  the areas up north were the ritzy ditzy wealthy who benefitted from the obscene tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy like him and he is just coming here pat them on the back and assure them of more tax cuts to come? I wondered why he was going to come to a state he bitterly hates as it returns the hatred tenfold. Ritzy ditzy rich enclaves here and there who love him adore him praise him pray for him support him defend him hate for him insult for him attack for him.  Makes sense. :( Thank you for the info. I didn't know. Now I do and it fits his playbook. Nothing for the poor or needy. Everything for the rich and greedy. I'm gonna ask a question like that. :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 16, 2018 3:33 PM MST
      November 16, 2018 3:19 PM MST

Good morning. I'm afraid we can't all be lumped together. I voted for him and like the job he's doing, but I do not agree with everything he says or does. Most all of my friends are like that as well. We are not blind, stupid or brainwashed. We would not follow him into H*ll or off a bridge, or into burning buildings.
    We are just average people living a day to day life, just like you.
      November 16, 2018 9:39 AM MST

Poor Rosie's view somehow got warped and two years later, she still hasn't gotten over Trump's election. In her mind, anyone who doesn't agree with any part of what she says is a "Trumpican." Not very open-minded, I'm afraid.
      November 16, 2018 10:27 AM MST

There are a lot of people like that running around like that. Yeah, I voted for him and I like what he's doing but I do not agree with everything he does or says. I do not hold him in high esteem and the Grand Emperor of the Galaxy. If some people would just lift their pink hats from over their eyes, they might just see he isn't the soul eating demon the MSM wants you to believe.
      November 16, 2018 11:07 AM MST

I'm with you, although I didn't vote for him. Like any president, he's said and done some things I agree with and others that I don't. The most ridiculous idea is that he's some kind of Hitler reincarnate.
      November 16, 2018 11:57 AM MST

I know. It's just widespread crazy right now. 
      November 20, 2018 11:23 AM MST

Thank you for your reply glenho and Happy Friday. Well I despise and abhor the man and find nothing to like about him of value. So there we are on opposite sides. It matters not at all one way or the other. It will all play out as it should and there will be winners and losers and we will move on and repeat our wrongs consistently continuously endlessly predictably and hope to do better. We are human beings after all. Don't ever expect more than we can deliver. You will be disappointed.
      November 16, 2018 2:23 PM MST

Trump also is human, something you seem to not realize.
      November 16, 2018 3:08 PM MST

So was HITLER.
      November 18, 2018 5:22 AM MST