Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Thousands of Americans are suddenly homeless

Thousands of Americans are suddenly homeless

in California. Lost everything. Where is the response from the President? Where is the love?
Anyone?

Posted - November 16, 2018

Responses

• He is coming out here, but I don't recall when.    Cal Fire is now working on containing a new fire in the Santa Cruz Mountains.   Not sure if this one is PG&E's fault as well, just that it started as a structure fire and grew from there.
      November 16, 2018 4:43 PM MST

Maybe he’ll toss out paper towels like in Puerto Rico. 
      November 16, 2018 5:07 PM MST

• Hahah I said the same thing on another thread. That's about all we can expect from him at this point.  Sadly.  Oh, and insults.   He is good about that. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 17, 2018 6:38 AM MST
      November 16, 2018 5:08 PM MST

Or face masks.
      November 17, 2018 6:37 AM MST

Tomorrow
      November 16, 2018 8:39 PM MST

He declared it a federal disaster area, which qualifies it for funding and is what any president would do. What else do you expect? You want him to say it was his fault? It wasn't.
      November 16, 2018 5:06 PM MST

I expect a US President to concern himself with large numbers of Americans in crisis on home soil. Trump could declare a federal disaster from his bathroom.
    Where are the sympathetic public statements?  Where is the message of strength and unity? Where is the leadership? 

Unlike Trump (and interestingly, you), blame for this tragedy never crossed my mind. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 16, 2018 6:26 PM MST
      November 16, 2018 5:20 PM MST

I suppose you don't remember that his first comments were that it was California's fault for not properly handling fire prevention/suppression procedures.  How much of those lands are federal lands?  He can make supportive statements and send condolences without blaming the victims.  He has no social graces.  i wonder what he would have said if his precious Mar-A-Largo sent up in smoke.  
      November 16, 2018 6:02 PM MST

He would call his insurance agent, like most of us would do.  
      November 16, 2018 8:43 PM MST

My thoughts and prayers are with them in CA...

I'm reminded of the saying - fiddle while Rome burns, to mean - to do something trivial and irresponsible in the midst of an emergency; legend has it that while a fire destroyed the city of Rome, the emperor Nero played his violin, thus revealing his total lack of concern for his people and his empire. - www.dictionary.com

November 16, 2018 5:58 PM MST

Fiddle = Twitter  

November 16, 2018 6:48 PM MST

EXACTLY!!!! This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at November 16, 2018 9:23 PM MST
      November 16, 2018 8:32 PM MST

It's a myth...there were no violins during those times.
      November 17, 2018 6:40 AM MST

A myth saying, along with thousand others is just that..some make a point.  I wish that Trump was a myth - beans

Myth "SAYING" - Christmas is right around the corner...  The saying about a violin was from www.dictionary.com This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at November 17, 2018 12:35 PM MST
      November 17, 2018 12:26 PM MST

I just approved an expedited request for a Major Disaster Declaration for the State of California. Wanted to respond quickly in order to alleviate some of the incredible suffering going on. I am with you all the way. God Bless all of the victims and families affected.

The California Fire Fighters, FEMA and First Responders are amazing and very brave. Thank you and God Bless you all!

More than 4,000 are fighting the Camp and Woolsey Fires in California that have burned over 170,000 acres. Our hearts are with those fighting the fires, the 52,000 who have evacuated, and the families of the 11 who have died. The destruction is catastrophic. God Bless them all.

There are more but the left don't care.
    President Trump is going to visit soon. 

November 16, 2018 6:49 PM MST

• And his earlier claim (no that was not "fake news") that it's the fault of Cali's  mishandling of funds is utter BS and typical of his callousness, so this current statement from him that one of his staff wrote for him is too little too late.   BTW, it was apparently the fault of PG&E, as just a few days prior to this disaster, PG&E mentioned their faulty equipment.  Since this fire, PG&E have pulled all of their propaganda ads from television where they were apologizing for the terrible Santa Rosa and Napa fires last year and promising to be more pro active in keeping their equipment up to date to help protect the public.  This whole thing disgusts me.  I would also like to add that I am neither Left nor Right. I am somewhere in between, but I can say if I were Right, I still would despise the Orange Blob. He's a disgusting pig who is slowly losing his mind, just like my current Governor, Jerry Brown, is..except Jerry isn't a hateful A-hole like the Blob. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 16, 2018 10:01 PM MST
      November 16, 2018 7:53 PM MST

Let the lawsuits commence. PG&E may have to raise rates to cover their legal expenses. 
      November 16, 2018 8:57 PM MST

• There are so many lawsuits currently against PG&E because of last year's fires.   They will of course pass that expense onto their customers, lucky us.  We are being penalized for their killing sprees.  And of course, our stupid Governor just signed a bill allowing them to penalize us.  I am interested to find out if this new fire in the Santa Cruz mountains is also due to PG&E, and how many more people they are going to kill before they get their act together.  The Suits there ought to be tossed in prison for life for all of the people they have killed this year and last year alone.

71 Dead, 1011 missing so far.     This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 16, 2018 10:01 PM MST
      November 16, 2018 9:01 PM MST

I had briefly contemplated moving my family out to California (our beloved S Fla is sinking) but conditions like you describe, drought and the tax burden in CA has me pondering elsewhere. 
      November 16, 2018 9:18 PM MST

• I don't blame you.  When my husband and I retired, I wanted to leave this state.   The only reason my husband wanted to stay is because he likes our medical benefits, which we would not be able to transfer elsewhere.  My 75 year old mom is here, and my daughter, and I wouldn't want to leave them.  Although I am born and raised here, I hate it here I cannot stand this state any more.  
      November 16, 2018 9:22 PM MST

I’ve been out to Cali many times, and I still think it’s got some lovely places TO VISIT, but....
      November 16, 2018 9:56 PM MST

It's like New York - a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. :)  By the way, I'm a born and bred New Yorker.
      November 17, 2018 7:23 AM MST

Yes, forest department needs to be managed better. As a CA congressman also said. 

If it was PG&E again...then yes again CA gov mismanagement. They should have forced PGE to correct safety issues. 

November 16, 2018 9:16 PM MST

• Threatening to withhold Federal aid, which he could not do anyway, and his (Trump's) other statements in the midst of the disaster that we have been facing here were indicative of the disgusting, callous idiot that he is.

Let's deal with the mismanagement after 1011 bodies have been recovered, people are no longer homeless as a result of the fire, and we are at a place where we can begin to heal.   I should not have to be saying all of this, it should be obvious that ******** about mismanagement as he was is not really what we need  to hear at this time. This post was edited by my2cents at November 21, 2018 8:36 PM MST
      November 16, 2018 9:19 PM MST