Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » I don't eat meat and I just learned how BAD soy products are. I have gallstones and that is a contributor. THIS IS A HEALTH FOOD????

I don't eat meat and I just learned how BAD soy products are. I have gallstones and that is a contributor. THIS IS A HEALTH FOOD????

Posted - November 17, 2018

Responses

let's wean you off of that.

November 17, 2018 8:23 PM MST

I cannot tell you how much worse that cancer waiting to happen patty filled with fat and heart attacks.
      November 17, 2018 8:27 PM MST

Certain Soy sauces are banned in England .....most all are not at all healthy to splash over your food ...they have really high sodium contents plus other junk ...it also raises your blood pressure considerably..:(  
      November 17, 2018 8:25 PM MST

You know I have prided myself on knowing nutrition.  I missed the most dangerous food of all and I ate that stuff for years.  Now I have gallstones and a mass in my gallbladder.

November 17, 2018 8:28 PM MST

No tofu for you...one year.
      November 17, 2018 8:36 PM MST

Never again.  
      November 17, 2018 8:40 PM MST

From what I gather ,in America they no longer have to put on the food labels that the food inside is Gentility Modified....W
    All of my family refuse to eat muck that that's mans messed about with.....you are what you eats .....if you are unsure about what's in it ...don't eat it...
    Most all preservatives are just diluted poisons to kill the bugs that grow in food stuffs...
    Eat mostly fresh stuff and only organic fed meat products...
      November 17, 2018 8:51 PM MST

I agree one hundred percent. GOOD FOR YOU.  AWESOME.  Stay healthy, my friend.
      November 17, 2018 8:52 PM MST

U2. ...lol
      November 17, 2018 8:55 PM MST

Whatever you say!

November 17, 2018 9:01 PM MST

I like Bono.....lol
      November 18, 2018 2:05 AM MST

I really need to see where you're getting that it's "the most dangerous food of all"! I don't work for the soy industry or anything (haha), but I've done my research and talked with health care professionals and eat a fair amount of soy. If there's some verifiable new info about it being dangerous (especially if it's non-gmo), I do want to know, please. 
      November 18, 2018 9:32 AM MST

Come on. I am not being that literate here.  It is really dangerous.  It screws up your hormones and that spells cancer in spades.

It's dangerous.  Of course you can eat some.  I ate it every day instead of meat.  Dumb of me.  

I mean people can eat red meat every day too, but that doesn't mean it is good for you.  It is NOT.  This site is really buggy today.  

Anyway, are you telling me to look up stuff?  Look it up.  Look up is soy dangerous?  Easy google for ya. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 19, 2018 7:23 AM MST
      November 18, 2018 8:06 PM MST

I have looked it up, and did even more looking today. I find nothing that links soy to gallstones, was wondering how you came to that conclusion. It's okay not to share; I don't have a gallbladder anyway. :)

I mostly don't eat animals because I love them, but doctors seem to agree that plant-based is more healthy, too. But, I think everyone should eat what they want to, really. Not for me to say. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/soy-breast-cancer-risk/faq-20120377

November 18, 2018 8:41 PM MST

Come on. I am not being that literate here.  It is really dangerous.  It screws up your hormones and that spells cancer in spades.

It's dangerous.  Of course you can eat some.  I ate it every day instead of meat.  Dumb of me.  

I mean people can eat red meat every day too, but that doesn't mean it is good for you.  It is NOT.  
      November 18, 2018 8:06 PM MST

Not sure where you got the idea that soybeans were a "health food".  Or how you have been construing that phrase. Health is a matter of balance of a number of foods and it is not like there is any one that we can just eat whatever and it will just be healthy on its own regardless of how much we eat!

Soybeans are slightly poisonous so traditionally they have not so much been eaten just themselves but used to make various other products - soy sauce, tempeh, natto, tamari, yuba, and many others. Now these are refined foods so we must be careful how we use them.  Not to be consumed at every meal but can add interest and texture and protein to other foods and OK if we confine them to once or twice a week use in with other things.  

Also quality affect our health.  Anything grown with a lot of chemicals and processed with a lot of additives is not going to be beneficial to our health so important to know how products were grown and what is in them.

Many people take up some soy-derived products because  they are trying to replace consumption of meat with them. Not a very good strategy.  Better to instead go for a whole-grains based diet where the whole grains become the primary food rather than meat or soy or other protein products.  These are much easier on our systems long as we chew them well and accompany them with fresh vegetables  - leafy, ground, and root vegetables, and sea vegetables and good quality fermented foods like pickles to help with digestion.  To which we can then add small quantities of fish or seafood sometimes, or bean products or fruit. 

We are not vegetarian because we do eat some fish and seafood, a little cheese , and perhaps a little meat once or a couple times a year.  But we eat mostly vegetable food and no junk or industrial food or sugared food.   We sometimes season our food with a little good quality  tamari or I might use some cubed tofu in miso soups or serve a little browned tempeh in with rice on occasion. With tofu once or twice a year I make a dish where I marinate it in soy sauce and sherry and saute it with red peppers and other things and then we eat a couple of pieces of it with our rice at meals while it lasts. Also on occasion I make a light tofu sandwich spread with tiny pieces of chopped raw vegetables for my husband's lunch. 

Really don't know much of anything about gall stones but don't they form when we drink a lot of cold liquids to isolate fats in the organ?  Don't know because never had them.  Though I guess I am about maybe 14 years younger than you so who knows what I have to look forward to when I become older?  Time will tell. I try to be careful about my health and my husband's since I cook for him but I know I am not perfect either. 
      November 18, 2018 6:27 AM MST

Tofu May Cause Problems for Some People

Eating tofu and other soy foods every day is generally considered to be safe. That being said, you may want to moderate your intake if you have:

Kidney or gallbladder stones: Tofu contains a good amount of oxalates, which may worsen oxalate-containing kidney or gallbladder stones.
    Breast tumors: Due to tofu's weak hormonal effects, some doctors tell women with estrogen-sensitive breast tumors to limit their soy intake.
    Thyroid issues: Some professionals also advise individuals with poor thyroid function to avoid tofu due to its goitrogen content.
      November 18, 2018 8:34 AM MST

I've never heard that, and it's listed on this site as just the opposite. https://www.healthline.com/health/gallbladder-diet

Gallbladder-friendly foods

For a healthy gallbladder, incorporate the following foods into your diet:

• bell peppers
    • citrus fruits
    • dark, leafy greens
    • tomatoes
    • milk
    • sardines
    • fish and shellfish
    • low-fat dairy
    • beans
    • nuts
    • lentils
    • tofu
    • tempeh

Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables is the best way to improve and protect your gallbladder’s health. Fruits and vegetables are full of nutrients and fiber, the latter of which is essential to a healthy gallbladder.

I can't find the site that Element99 got that info from. I found info about it contributing to kidney stones in people at risk because of high oxalates, but if that's the culprit, you'd also have to avoid spinach, almonds/cashews, bran and shredded wheat cereals, and many other foods.

Did your doctor tell you this or where did you get the info? I would look into it more, because it's a fact that the meat industry is doing everything they can to malign soy and other meat alternatives. Filthy bast@rds

I just found this one. Overall, it's considered healthy for most people and I can't find where it's related at all to gallstones. 
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-975/soy

November 18, 2018 9:27 AM MST

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-tofu#section9
      November 18, 2018 10:49 AM MST

Thank you! The same site where tofu and tempeh are listed as being good for gallbladder. How strange!

Everything I've found says that gallstones are composed of cholesterol/fat, not calcium or oxalate like kidney stones. 

November 18, 2018 7:27 PM MST

Well they are very very bad.  

You have to study this and I mean listen to a lot of people so you can wend your way through what is real and what is some ding bat doctor trying to get famous.
      November 18, 2018 8:01 PM MST

Nothing I need to be concerned about at this point, anyway. Still, if I could see just one scholarly article or study that shows a connection between soy and gallstones. 

Everything I've heard from docs and read say that it's fats and cholesterol that are bad for the gallbladder. 
      November 18, 2018 8:48 PM MST

Sorry Savvy if that came off as curt. I did not explain my reasons for not looking it up.  Sorry.

It's because it is on several videos.  And I don't remember which ones because it was this morning and I am too lazy to look right now because it will take a half hour, knowing me.

I promise if you care this much, I will do my best for you.
      November 18, 2018 8:52 PM MST

No worries. I'm not going to fret about it. I said farewell to my gallbladder years ago. 

Chickpeas are my new jam, anyway. If you know something bad about them, PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME! 

:)
      November 18, 2018 9:21 PM MST