Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » How do Californians feel about being blamed by Trump for the devastating fires? It's your fault because you don't clean your floors!

How do Californians feel about being blamed by Trump for the devastating fires? It's your fault because you don't clean your floors!

"You gotta take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forest, very important... I was with the President of Finland... he called it a forest nation and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things and they don't have any problem." - Donald Trump

I know it's a huge list, but this has to be near the top of the dumbest things he's ever said, right?

Posted - November 18, 2018

Responses

•   November 18, 2018 10:00 AM MST

good girl...
      November 18, 2018 11:37 AM MST

• Woman, not girl. 
      November 18, 2018 11:49 AM MST

Hahaha! That's great! She looks like she could be Finnish, too! 
      November 18, 2018 7:29 PM MST

• Lol, yes, she is Finnish. It was part of a Twitter feed where Finnish people were posting pics of themselves "raking" and cleaning the forest, in response to Trump's comments.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46256296
      November 18, 2018 7:39 PM MST

November 18, 2018 7:57 PM MST

...and who is responsible for the Forests?
    The Federal Government...Trump.
    jeesh this guy is a nut.
         We live in a very dry state
    Droughtville. WE don't get the rain ya'll get.
    WE gotz lots of sunshine and fog though.
    and without getting deep into Global Warming,
     as far as Trump goes....

This post was edited by Baba at November 19, 2018 9:33 PM MST
      November 18, 2018 11:34 AM MST

And who passes laws making forest management next to impossible because they are worried about the bugs etc having habitat in the ground cover?  
    Hint: They have out of control fires every year. (Feds are required to follow those laws)
      November 18, 2018 11:39 AM MST

No it is not dumb. It you let the ground cover accumulate and allow tree crowding it increases the dryness of the foliage (they must compete for that what little rain there is available) and provides plenty of fuel for the fires. 
      November 18, 2018 11:44 AM MST

“Let ground cover accumulate..”  - Are you kidding me?
    Have you ever been in real big forest? Next time you go, walk away from the trail and look around at what is on the ground. Imagine clearing it. Mile after mile of it. That ought to be enough to awaken to the absurdity. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 19, 2018 11:07 AM MST
      November 18, 2018 1:39 PM MST

Yes, I live near several acres of national forest.  My state takes care of it. As do most responsible states. 

No one is talking about raking etc.

It is called a controlled or prescribed burn, also known as hazard reduction burning, backfire, swailing, or a burn-off, is a wildfire set intentionally for purposes of forest management, farming, prairie restoration or greenhouse gas abatement, fires and logging. 

Perhaps you should look into it. 

November 18, 2018 2:26 PM MST

If it's a NATIONAL forest you live near, it's managed by the feds, not the state. The USDA Forest service manages national forests. Look into it!

What do you mean, no one is talking about raking, etc?? That's EXACTLY what Trump said!! Watch the video! He said the word raking!! Not only did he say it, he lied about the Finnish president saying that they rake their forests, too! 

When will your unwavering worship of him stop? 

https://time.com/5458320/finland-trump-forest-management-raking/

November 18, 2018 7:55 PM MST

Yes, a national forest in California. And the feds are required to follow the rules passed by CA which prevents proper maintenance.

I don't care if Trump words something wrong. If he says take instead of prescribed burning. It does not matter. What matters is that the groundcover needs to be cleared and the trees need not to be overcrowded. Actions count....policy. This post was edited by my2cents at November 22, 2018 10:22 PM MST
      November 18, 2018 8:36 PM MST

You said you live near a national forest and you said "my state takes care of it". Now you say it's a national forest in California, so you're saying CA takes care of it "as do most responsible states"??

The state does not dictate how national forests are managed. Look it up.  
      November 18, 2018 9:16 PM MST

Yes, the forest I live my is a national forest. 
    Yes, the forest in Cal is also a national forest.....and YES the Feds are required to follow local and state laws regarding forest management. 
      November 21, 2018 10:33 AM MST

Please put down the Kool Aid and cite the 'bad (STATE)environmental laws' Trump is referring to. 

November 22, 2018 7:46 AM MST

The laws Gov Brown and the Cal Fire Chief are talking about fixing. The laws that prevent the removal of dead trees if the amount to over a certain percentage of an area. Laws that require restocking anything cut down....not sure how that helps with overcrowding. 

November 22, 2018 7:27 PM MST

Very vague. And, I've heard no news of Trump praising Jerry Brown for his work to combat the problem. 

If you're really interested, there's a lot of real information about how the FEDERAL agency who is tasked with taking care of national forests has done a really poor job of it, how great a job American Indians did managing forests before the European invasion, what scientists have to say, and how the terrible Chinese hoax (climate change) plays a role. 

November 22, 2018 8:20 PM MST

You got it! :)
      November 21, 2018 7:02 AM MST

Nice edit. 
    SMH!
      November 21, 2018 7:06 PM MST

?? Nothing has been edited since your last post. Even though it needs spelling fixed.
      November 21, 2018 7:25 PM MST

Several acres? OK. You’re an expert. 
    Maybe then you could persuade Trump to look into it. He is reportedly in charge after all. 

Yet Trump said nothing about controlled burns, but spoke of cleaning and raking, like we’re talking about leaves on his golf courses. What could he really know about forest management that would make him a credible judge of it‘s practice? (Or anything else?) 
    Let’s just defer to his “good scientific genes“, or whatever. What a joke. 

It hasn’t escaped anyone’s notice that Trump has lost California to the Democrats twice now. It’s seething with liberals and Latinos. Hmmm....

Nah, he wouldn't be so petty as all that, now would he? 

November 18, 2018 8:57 PM MST

The national forest I live near is 1.2million acres....yes, several acres. 

And yes it is maintained.  My state has not passed cumbersome laws which prevent proper maintenance as CA has. CA does not deny these laws and members of their gov are now talking about possible pulling back on the state laws, Gov Brown and other state lawmakers. 

I don't care if President Trump said rake and cleaning instead of prescribed burns etc....that is word games. Policy is what matters and policy is what is causing CA fires to get worse and worse every year. This post was edited by my2cents at November 22, 2018 10:24 PM MST
      November 21, 2018 12:05 PM MST

Just LOL, Don. That's really all one can do at this point. 
      November 18, 2018 8:02 PM MST