Active Now

Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Yup, another wondrous movie I adore. Have you had the exhilaration of experiencing this one?

Yup, another wondrous movie I adore. Have you had the exhilaration of experiencing this one?

Posted - November 19, 2018

Responses

Yes! That's the one! I now remember -- I had started to read the book after a friend had recommended both it and the movie. I appreciate your 'disclaimer' about being happy. I remember I started the book but I let it get to me emotionally and I thought I'd watch the movie, even though I usually like to read a book first, before a movie adaptation. The movie was a downer, too -- the little I watched, ha!
    But I can give it all another chance. Firth is always good, I agree. And I did like both the book and movie. I just remember both 'getting' to me. 
    I'll give it all another go. You were certainly right about "Beach Music" and you and and my other friend both recommend the movie highly. And Moore is always worth watching for me.
    :)
      November 21, 2018 11:38 AM MST

In case you didn't see, this movie I asked about is "magnolia." I bet you'd like it. I admit to being totally biased about the movie, though.
      November 20, 2018 11:32 AM MST

not yet
      November 20, 2018 11:04 AM MST

"magnolia." It's a good one to me.

November 20, 2018 11:42 AM MST

Have not seen it. Looks like it got a lot of awards.
      November 20, 2018 12:45 PM MST

The movie was amazing for me. It's very moving to me and 'honest' and yet such a 'quiet' film. The cast is practically perfect to me. And all the other ingredients that go into a great film -- for me, they're all there (even though I don't know how all the ingredients combine technically, let alone, know what all the actual ingredients are-- the movie is so 'honest' and it all comes across successfully for me because I recall so much of the movie, even after only seeing it twice; I'm using 'honest' a lot, I know).
    After joking with you all about Cruise -- I wrote it somewhere here in one of the threads but, by far, this is the best I've ever seen Cruise. I've not seen a lot of his work, though.

I guess I really can't say enough good things about this movie.
      November 21, 2018 11:29 AM MST

I had bookmarked your question for after I'd watched my recording of the film, hehe. Philip Seymour Hoffman is great in it too; I reckon it takes a lot of talent and skill to come across as so 'regular.'

Like you say, Welby, the film really does have that honesty. I love the scene where Walters (the addict) and Reilly (the cop) are on a date and discuss that very subject. It didn't quite touch me emotionally, though it appears intended to, but that would be down to me viewing it in half-an-hour segments, and, frankly, I'm rarely affected in such a way by fiction. (Maybe it's also due to a lack of being able to relate to the characters, as a 24-year-old from a pretty different background, which may sound ironic given that you-know-who isn't the most directly relatable either--I hope.) That's not to take away from the excellent film-making and performances, however.

Have to appreciate its genuine feeling.
      November 23, 2018 5:38 AM MST

I don't remember all the scenes so much, I guess. Many of them I do but  I admit to not exactly remembering the cop and addict scene that struck you, though I obviously remember their characters and the flow of their story together. I should watch the movie again. Yet, there are many movies I still need to watch for the first time. I haven't watched a movie in quite a while actually.

EDIT: I get your point, yes, about relating to characters. And though I, too, am unlike you-know-who, I still cared about her. Definitely.

Somehow, I guess I sometimes easily 'fall' into a movie. I doubt I have had a similar background, too, of most of the characters in the movie but, from what I remember (I've only seen the movie twice, I believe), I 'fell' into all of their stories. I must have -- because here is a scene that knocked my socks off. It must have because I was going to watch it again just now but I started to have chills up and down my spine and I started to almost 'tear up' in the first seconds of the clip.

PLOT SPOILER!!!! "MAGNOLIA"!!!!!!!

I think I almost stopped breathing when this scene started the first time I saw it. I thought, "What is going on? Are the people singing with the music soundtrack? They are! Oh, my God." And I fell some more.

To some, perhaps the 'device' here is hokey? But to me, it was breathtaking. I love the song and everyone is so desperate in their various spots in their lives, as they all just resign themselves to their individual moments and they all quietly, and simply, sing the same words together.

Anyway, I'm posting the scene even though I know you recently watched the movie.

Great to see you, Danilo_G during this very busy, and somewhat draining, time of year for me.

EDIT: I tried to post two videos from youtube of the scene but they wouldn't post. This one seems to -- but it takes about a minute for the song to start. Dam* -- my dad passed away in late December of last year -- this first short little scene (before the song starts) with Philip and Jason was uncomfortable to watch. I'm OK, though.

(I get actors goofed up if they have three names -- and I think there are two famous actors in this movie whom go by three names, so, anyway, I think this is Philip whom you mentioned in your answer.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 23, 2018 11:58 AM MST
      November 23, 2018 10:51 AM MST

As far as I'm aware, it's the scene in Magnolia; I knew what you meant as soon as I read "a scene that knocked my socks off," hehe. Apparently some of the actors were nervous about it, so Moore had to go first. It's such a fine line to walk there being either cheesy or impactful, but I'm glad P.T.A. had the guts to go for it.

That's nice of you to say, about Sanja. With her too, I think there are moments and tones that risk going awry; but otherwise what's the point?

Condolences about your father. I think this film also does well in its acceptance of grief. It's part of it all--us all. And, yes, that is Philip, great actor, who passed away in 2014.
    This post was edited by Danilo_G at November 23, 2018 7:00 PM MST
      November 23, 2018 1:00 PM MST

Darn. Yes, I thought that was the actor who had recently died. I think he's a great actor, too.

Thanks about my dad.

Thanks for the fun discussions.
      November 23, 2018 8:17 PM MST