Active Now

Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » When does having a disability provide an advantage?

When does having a disability provide an advantage?

I just realized deaf people are probably really good at charades. 

Posted - November 19, 2018

Responses

Hit the mugger with your crutch.

Whappo.

November 19, 2018 10:18 PM MST

• "Better parking spots."

November 20, 2018 2:25 AM MST

When your other senses become overly enthusiastic.   People that can't hear well, normally see better.  People that are blind, normally hear better.  When one of yours compensates for the other, you can be of help to people who aren't so able as yourself.  You could help a person hear a train coming down the tracks.  That's not a great example but it's the only thing that came to mind since all my senses are dulled at the moment.  Big Giggles.  It's late.  I really should be in bed.  Don just said something... So, I'm off.
    But, see you soon, hopefully tomorrow (today since it's 3:25 am) in a few hours!
      November 20, 2018 4:26 AM MST

This is a really good point. We were talking about this in my psychology class. I'm deaf in one ear, so I miss a lot of sounds and cannot tell which direction sounds are coming from. At the same time, I probably watch my surroundings more than most. I pick up other details that give me cues about what is happening or what might happen. For example, I don't rely on sounds when I'm driving. Many people do. They listen to the cars around them and use that to gauge whether it's safe to change lanes or whatever. That was a big problem when electric cars emerged because they're so quiet- they were getting hit a lot. When I'm driving, I keep a mental map of all the vehicles around me in my mind. At any given point, I could probably shut my eyes (not that I would) and tell my passenger what kind of vehicles are around us and what position they are in as it relates to my vehicle. I've never so much as had a close call while changing lanes because I just know when there's a car next to me. 
      November 20, 2018 1:42 PM MST

I hear ya! (I couldn't help it.)  Both Don and my mom are hard of hearing.  Don from his work and mom because of age.  They are the same way about driving.  
    It was frightening for me when the Prius came out.  Sometimes, they were RIGHT THERE in my driving space without me even knowing.  It is really a bummer because I like to drive. I wear glasses (like now) to read and write and thought it might be better if I wore them at night to drive. No such luck. 
    What you expressed is a beautiful example of where you are in direct alignment of time and space.
    As you travel in your car through time, the space you are occupying no else can.  No two things can comfortably occupy the same space at the same time. 
    You allow a buffer, making sure your space is safe as is theirs.  
    It's a wonderful thing. :)
    Hearing or seeing normally helps you translate time and space but when one is not accurate, the other picks up the slack.

It takes a moment for your mind to reconstruct around the disability but it does.  It's like something you learn that you didn't even know you did.
    The mind is an amazing thing.
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at November 21, 2018 3:42 AM MST
      November 20, 2018 3:14 PM MST

i just got on ssi and i can answer this question, i could never find a job no nnatter what i did, ive seen people on ssi get jobs a lot faster than i ever could, not to nnention people that are out of jail, nny sister is on it and works all the tinne, i heard that connpanies get tax nnoney or sonnething like that to hire people on ssi or people out of jail, nnaybe i should take advantage of that. 
      November 20, 2018 11:03 AM MST

The parking is the only thing I can think of. 
      November 20, 2018 11:15 AM MST

Let say for example, Not being able to see allows a person to get to know somebody based on their personality rather than their looks and that definitely make more sense!
      November 20, 2018 12:05 PM MST

And who knows... maybe some of those good looking people are just as giving as those who aren't.  It is all in the eye of perception.  Being beautiful comes both physically and mentally.  Maybe some souls are blessed by both.  
      November 20, 2018 12:46 PM MST

They can sense the internal beauty for sure!!
      November 21, 2018 3:44 AM MST

I hear ya ALF and Sunshine.  You guys need them where other lazy, capable people do not.  It is a small blessing but one, none-the-less not to have to part the seas of rude children and parents running frantically through the parking lots. 

I worked for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) for years in Louisville, Colorado.  This is the disease that mothers, unknowingly give to their children.  Many people confuse it with Multiple Sclerosis.

The handicapped spaces are for people who aren't as fortunate as us. When I see a person fully capable of walking an extra 15 feet to get to the grocery store and park in a space for people who aren't as fortunate, it maddens me.  How can we, the people who ARE CAPABLE of Walking be so lazy?  We need to be grateful we have all our brains and abilities to make our muscles work accordingly.  A few extra steps will not only help your waistline but also keep your car from being dinged by other shoppers who aren't paying attention to their car doors and carts.  If you have the ability to walk and talk and smile, use it.  Your body will thank you and so will your car door.

Please leave those spaces happily for people who aren't as fortunate as you and be thankful, when you walk by them, you DON'T have to park there. 

P.S.  If you are interested in the difference between MD and MS, here's a quick link.

https://www.differencebetween.net/science/health/difference-between-md-and-ms/

https://www.differencebetween.net/science/health/difference-between-md-and-ms/

This post was edited by Merlin at November 21, 2018 3:43 AM MST
      November 20, 2018 12:07 PM MST

I don't disagree with you, Merlin, but I'd also like to point out that disabilities are not always obvious. Some people have conditions that make them fatigued, so perhaps they can make it into a store and onto a scooter, but wouldn't be able to do so if they had to cross the full lot. Some suffer from vertigo or have vision impairments that make it harder/ more dangerous to navigate. My dad's wife has fibromialgia. She doesn't look disabled, particularly when she's having a good day and doesn't use her cane, but sometimes the extra walking is too much or she hurts when she walks. 

There have also been times where I've snagged a disabled space and don't have the placard. I only do that when I'm transporting my mother. So, I'm sure some people would look at me running into a store or whatever to pick her up and would assume I'm hijacking a space unfairly. I may be doing it without the right credentials, but I don't think anyone would argue that my mom is entitled to a disabled space. They just wouldn't know it until I come out of the building with her.

You are absolutely the least judgmental person I know, and you're obviously well-informed, so I feel pretty confident that you're already familiar with "invisible illnesses" and take that into account. However, the wording kind of caught me and I wanted to mention the many needs for spaces for others who might pop by.
      November 20, 2018 1:34 PM MST