Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » The things you own ... now own you?

The things you own ... now own you?

Posted - November 21, 2018

Responses

I try not to let them. Most of my directly-household items have no sentimental value but I have a lot of things associated with my interests and the social lives they bring.

I think the only two household items with some history to me, are pieces of furniture. One is a bureau that was our Dad's. It was in the family since I know not when, but I think he made it when I was very young. I use it now, as he did, as a stationery cupboard and small book-case. The other item is my small dining-table, which Dad had bought second-hand somewhere and refurbished to his usual very high standard, for my own home.  
      February 4, 2019 4:23 PM MST

• Both of those pieces sound very nice.   My mom has a few small pieces of smaller furniture that my grandfather made when he was a teen.  I am hoping she will give them to me.  
      February 4, 2019 4:31 PM MST

Thank you! I've a brother and two sisters, and though our Dad had sorted out the money side of things in his Will, after our parents dies we decided among ourselves what we wanted and sold the rest. A lot just went to charity shops. So some of the things Dad made were kept, between us.

One thing I kept was a "granddaughter clock". Mum had always wanted a long-case clock, and I bought this one for her as a Christmas present. Unfortunately she was far more seriously ill than she had let on. She went into hospital just before Christmas, so as we thought she'd back home, I took the opportunity to take the clock to her home so she could unwrap it in place. But she never saw it, dying still in hospital not long after Christmas. So the clock's now back with me. 
      February 8, 2019 2:35 PM MST

• Oh my goodness, I am sorry to hear about your mom. I am sure the "Granddaughter Clock" has even more sentimental value now, since it was to be for your mom to unwrap.   So happy that it's back with you though.  What an amazing piece, given the story behind it. 
      February 8, 2019 4:08 PM MST

Thank you Lavender. I haven't set it going, Perhaps I should.  
      February 11, 2019 7:19 AM MST

• Yes, you should!
      February 11, 2019 7:31 AM MST

I'll let you know! It didn't seem to run properly last time I tried.
      February 11, 2019 7:58 AM MST

Hello Benedict Arnold
    To a point, Yes.
    My house has a strong grip on me, It requires that I work to make the mortgage payments. It also requires most of my free time maintaining it.
    My cars also require me to maintain them, since they are old. They do not care if I am sick or I simply don't want to, when they need attention, I must respond and give it to them..
    Everything else, with the exception of a few pieces of furniture that came from my fathers house when he passed, I do not care about and would not lose any sleep over should I not have them anymore...

February 8, 2019 3:01 PM MST