Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What do you require or prefer in a boss/supervisor? A lot or not much?

What do you require or prefer in a boss/supervisor? A lot or not much?

I need my boss to KNOW MORE than I do. Had one once who didn't. That did not end well for him.

I need my boss to leave me alone to figure things out and when I need help I'll ask for it. I'm not shy about admitting when I need help/guidance nor am I embarrassed to ask for it. That is the job of a boss, right? However I don't like to be hovered over.

That's it. If I get that I will respect the boss. I don't have to like him or her but I can't think of a time I didn't like that kind of boss! Maybe I trained them to be that way with me or maybe I just lucked out!

What are your requirements? What type of boss makes you shine and what kind dims your light?

Posted - November 25, 2018

Responses

I guess someone who feels I am pulling my weight here, doing my job.   Guess I don't figure some things out as well as you because I appreciate all the help I can get.  I try to respect them whatever and do as well as I am able whatever they require of me.  And I feel I am not there to shine but more to help them shine.  And not their job to earn my respect but mine to earn theirs. 
      November 25, 2018 8:13 AM MST

Thank you for your reply og and Happy Sunday to thee. I like to figure things out on my own. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to do that. I don't like to rely on other people for things I can figure out myself. It wastes their time and prevents me from seeing what I can do on my own. I am a retired Internal Auditor og. At some point you are your own boss which Internal Auditors all are as they do the work wherever they are sent and they don't have anyone to run to for help. Of course you ask the people there whom you are auditing what their intention was but you are the one who has to come up with the framework of the situation and determine if the details are wrong or right and if they're wrong how to fix it. You can't do that unless you've tested yourself and stretched your wings and tried to fly on your own when you had to do so. So it depends on what you do and what is more comfortable for you. This post was edited by RosieG at November 25, 2018 3:53 PM MST
      November 25, 2018 11:41 AM MST

I have had the same boss for almost 20 years who I report to directly and fortunately he respects me and I can understand him so we get along well and he has given me more responsibility.

People like to feel they are understood and listened to and respected and bosses are no different.  This post was edited by officegirl at November 25, 2018 3:57 PM MST
      November 25, 2018 3:55 PM MST

Thank you for your reply og and Happy Monday to thee.
      November 26, 2018 2:45 AM MST

• Do not micro-manage. I had been at the job about 11 years before my last boss even started, and she knew zero about work comp. Still, she tried to micro manage all of us seasoned employees, and it always backfired on her.   That's about it. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 25, 2018 11:33 AM MST
      November 25, 2018 10:31 AM MST

Any newby on the job should tread very lightly, carefully and respect the knowledge of the oldtimers who know a lot more about that particular business than they do. Only the dumb-as-mud ones come on as superior and they NEVER LAST! Thank you for your reply lavender and Happy Sunday!  :)
      November 25, 2018 11:34 AM MST

• Couldn't agree more, Rosie!   Happy Sunday to you as well  :)
      November 25, 2018 1:14 PM MST

Thank you lavender and backatcha!  :)
      November 26, 2018 2:46 AM MST

That they follow safety rules and don't turn a blind eye to their workers  breaking safety rules to save time and or money. Cheers!
      November 25, 2018 10:49 AM MST

Sounds like you worked in a factory with machinery and the potential for getting badly hurt Nanoose. I've always worked in an office so "safety rules" are something I have not had to deal with. Of course in America we have OSHA which can be a pain in the neck. If someone gets hurt on the job you have to report it. If someone slips and falls because there was a puddle and gets hurt ya got paperwork to fill out coming out your keester. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      November 25, 2018 11:32 AM MST

• Knowledgeable, helpful, honest, and fair!
      November 25, 2018 1:35 PM MST

I'll buy that Cinders! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday!  :)
      November 26, 2018 2:46 AM MST

I live with mine ,so they have to be nice to me and turn a blind eye to mostly everything I do or mischief I get up to Rosie.   :) D 
      November 26, 2018 3:05 AM MST

I think your "mischief" isn't a negative thing D. You probably leave them laughing and when you leave them laughing that's a blessing. Especially in the world of today where there is precious little to laugh about. Gonna ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      November 26, 2018 3:36 AM MST

The team captain has to play, too. The boss leads the team, but also has to be a part of the team.
      November 26, 2018 5:04 AM MST