Active Now

Thebigd
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Are you so impatient you can't even stand in the wait a little while aisle at the market?

Are you so impatient you can't even stand in the wait a little while aisle at the market?

Posted - November 25, 2018

Responses

• I'm relatively patient unless the cashier starts yapping with people and stops what she's doing. Also, if you see me in line, don't get into that line because something will always go wrong in that line. 
      November 25, 2018 8:10 AM MST

Yeah...like grandma trying to find 32 cents change in her purse and all she has is pennies.
      November 25, 2018 11:14 AM MST

Yes. I truly cannot bear it.. I HATE to wait. Before I could drive I used to travel by bus, but could never bear to wait for it so usually went to the bus stop, only to start walking soon after. Illogical really as waiting a few minutes would be quicker than walking..  
      November 25, 2018 8:20 AM MST

• I prefer self-checkout. 
      November 25, 2018 10:06 AM MST

• I can't stand lines, but I can't stand the idea of taking away even more jobs by installing self checkout lanes.
      November 25, 2018 10:25 AM MST

Hadn't thought of it that way but I never tried the self-checkout lines -- I prefer interacting with people.
      November 25, 2018 7:19 PM MST

I have developed much patience over the years. I had to as my wife sometimes takes an hour and a half to get ready to go somewhere. Checkout lines don't bother me as long as they are short and those in front of me don't have a cart full of stuff. I just go to the self checkout. This post was edited by Element 99 at November 26, 2018 1:53 AM MST
      November 25, 2018 11:16 AM MST

yes
      November 25, 2018 2:38 PM MST

I just try get in line behind a cute chic then the line can take all day if it wants.
      November 25, 2018 3:17 PM MST

Yes.
    I'm willing to wait for one customer with a full trolley, but not for two, three or more queuing up in every aisle.
    I also refuse to use the automatic self-checkouts.
    These are just strategies for cutting out yet more jobs.
    Instead, I avoid the major supermarkets that use these strategies and go to the smaller, independently owned ones which offer good service and pay fair prices for produce to the farmers.
      November 25, 2018 7:11 PM MST

Yes. And I like interacting with people, even if it's simply paying for groceries.

Lavender mentioned the self checkout lines, too. Well, now I see several people have.
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 26, 2018 6:29 AM MST
      November 25, 2018 7:20 PM MST

Perhaps you haven't noticed that self-checkout lines are staffed to provide assistance. In any case, it's highly unlikely that your decision to avoid these places will result in changing any outcomes in the way of jobs gained or lost. But if you feel that you're doing good, albeit in a miniscule way, then have at it.
      November 25, 2018 8:15 PM MST

I think one staffer to monitor about eight automatic cashouts counts as seven less staff employed.

In my social circle, most of us boycott automated services.

With the increase of artificially intelligent robots, it won't be long before states may have a serious problem with unemployment.

Western cities could end up like ancient Rome with only half the population able to find work, food donated to the poor, and every second day allotted to circus entertainments to keep the population from destructive behaviours.
      November 26, 2018 4:16 PM MST

But supermarkets won't hire more people just because some folks don't wish to use self-checkout lines. So do as you wish, but don't delude yourself into thinking that being self-righteous will change anything.
      November 26, 2018 4:50 PM MST

Nope. It doesn't bother me a smidge to stand in the wait a little while aisle. In fact, if I see an elderly person or someone with young children and a big basket of groceries, I'll let them go ahead of me. :)
      November 25, 2018 7:28 PM MST

• I love it.  I do the same thing.
      November 25, 2018 7:48 PM MST

I spend 1/2 my life waiting in lines.  At least it feels that way.  I'm no bigger or better than anyone else.  They have to stand in that line, too! :) 
      November 26, 2018 1:56 AM MST

I learned to hate lines in the Corps, and as I get older I like them even less.  It really pisses me off when a chatty Cathy holds up the whole line describing her "whatever" to the cashier
      November 26, 2018 2:58 AM MST

No. 
      November 26, 2018 5:10 AM MST