Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there any holiday tradition for which your town is known that attracts scores of travelers all over the world? Wouldja share?

Is there any holiday tradition for which your town is known that attracts scores of travelers all over the world? Wouldja share?

Don't know if you've ever heard of THE MISSION INN located in downtown Riverside, California but it is quite famous among some and attracts hundreds of thousands of people to Riverside each year. The owners decorate it with animated figures on every story and there are a zillion lights that take your breath away at night. Anything like that in your town?

Posted - November 28, 2018

Responses

Yes several. I cannot get more specific as it would reveal where I live. 
      November 28, 2018 7:49 AM MST

You are AFRAID to reveal where you live? I live in southern California. Specifically the town of Hemet I'm not afraid of saying that  m2c! Whom do you fear and what do you think would happen to you if people knew? We have no clue(well I don't..maybe others here do) what your name is. It would be hard find a nameless anyone anywhere. Oh well I guess you have reasons for it none of which apply to me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee.
      November 28, 2018 8:41 AM MST

I do not give out such information.... there are too many crazies in the world.  I have posted enough that if someone knew my town, they could easily show up at my work or home.  I live in a small town. Under 12,000 people so not so much like finding a needle in a haystack in Hemet with their 85,000 people. 
      November 28, 2018 1:49 PM MST

I know there are. But usually it's celebrities who have the crazies stalk them. Remember John Lennon? Also years ago Pam Dawber had a TV show that featured an actress named Rebecca Schaeffer. She played the part of Pam's younger sister. One day Rebecca opened the door and was shot dead by an "admirer". I forget how he found her address. But ordinary people (and I don't mean to be disrespectful when I say that) usually are victims of mass murderers and they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I'm an ordinary average everyday person and so I don't worry about stuff like that.  I remember some woman years ago thought she was  David Letterman's wife so she kept going to his home and stalking him. I like privacy. I would never want to be "famous".  But some folks want that more than anything and sadly sometimes they pay a very huge price for the fame.  I don't understand why you would think a "crazy" would target you but I'm not you.  Thank you for the additional information m2c and Happy Thursday to thee!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 30, 2018 11:08 PM MST
      November 29, 2018 1:46 AM MST

It's not a holiday attraction, but each fall tens of thousands of birds fly over one of our wildlife parks in their annual migration South. It attracts thousands of visitors from everywhere. The birds return late May.

https://www.mageemarsh.org/ This post was edited by Element 99 at November 28, 2018 8:55 PM MST
      November 28, 2018 8:01 AM MST

I'm gonna be real gross...apologies in advance. As the tens of thousands of birds do their annual flyover do they "relieve" themselves in flight or do they hold it for elsewhere? I have no idea why my mind immediately traveled there Ele. But seriously do the wildlife park attendants have a lot of you-no-what to clean up afterwards? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      November 28, 2018 8:47 AM MST

Doubtful. The park is a reclaimed marsh with hiking trails and observing platform. One would think most of the droppings would go back into the ecosystem. But...let the observer beware.
      November 28, 2018 3:21 PM MST

Then too there is that movie "The Birds". Didja see it when it came out? Very scary! I always think of it when I see the V formation of a group bunch herd flock of birds flying somewhere. Why do they fly in a V? Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      November 29, 2018 1:50 AM MST

We get visitors all year round because the American Revolution is said to have started here. 
      November 28, 2018 8:27 AM MST

My ex-husband was born there if your "here" is the same as my there! Thank you for your reply og and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      November 28, 2018 9:03 AM MST

Hello rosie
    Yes. There is an old country estate here known as Filoli.Filoli is an acronym for William bourne's (the original owner) credo, FIght for a good cause, LOve your fellow man, LIve a good life. If you remember the t.v. show Dynasty, this is the house they used in the opening credits, the house was also used in the movie "Heaven can wait" with Warren Beatty. It is a 36,000 sq, ft, Georgian revival mansion, built in 1915. It is considered to be one of the finest examples of a  "country estate" in the country. Its gardens are known world wide and have won numerous international awards. Every holiday season they go all out with Christmas decorations and it attracts thousands of visitors.
      November 28, 2018 9:58 AM MST

Thank you for your reply and the graphic. I have never heard of it but Google will remedy that. Happy Thursday.
      November 29, 2018 1:57 AM MST

• Not that I am aware of.  In San Francisco, the Union Square Christmas Tree Lighting is a big deal though.   This year it was on Black Friday, November 23.  I never go to that event, because I don't care for crowds.   Darlene Love was among the performers.    It really is a sight to behold, the beautiful tree that they light every year.  
      November 28, 2018 2:19 PM MST

I'm not a fan of crowds either lavender and I avoid going anywhere they are.  I never go out of the house on Black Friday either. Jim does each year but he said this year it wasn't bad at all. I think that's because more and more folks shop online. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday m'dear! :)
      November 29, 2018 2:00 AM MST

Yes it is called Wienachts Markts and Sylvester; Christmas Markets and New Years.  similar to Germany however a lot better.Wien (Vienna) is a marvelous place.  Here is the Rathaus (City Hall).  There are 14 major Markts, and any number of small neighborhood Pünsch Stnnds.  Season Starts daz after St. Stephan's Day week ends, that is Martingansl ß think roast goose with trimmings. So from Mondaz last until 23 December, Schrönbrunn Palace is open until 24 December at 1530.

https://www.weihnacht.at/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/christkindlmarkt-rathausplatz.jpg
    Here is Gaben on Sylvester this place is nuts
    https://nethotelstraveller.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/weihnachten_wien_graben_2.jpg
      November 28, 2018 4:28 PM MST

So you live in Vienna then Archerchef? Thank you for your reply, the graphic and the links. I appreciate all of them. Sounds like something I'd love and look forward to all year too as you do!   Waltzes dance in my brain just thinking about it! Happy Thursday to you! :)
      November 29, 2018 2:04 AM MST

Rosie most of the time we are in Residence in Wien (Vienna).  If you like Waltzes hit the u4 and U6 Connection at Opera House.  The restroom there continually plays the Blue Danube, in fact most of the English lines when one is on hold play the Blue Danube
      November 29, 2018 10:50 AM MST

We have a very large wall map above our desk and I just looked at the location of Austria vis a vis where I am in Hemet, California (southern California). Goodness me thee are clear across a continent and clear across an ocean nestled among others countries of which I've only ever read. Is music played in the streets 24/7 in Vienna Archerchef? I have visions of that for some reason. I mean is there a better to lift up one's spirits should they be sagging than hearing Viennese Waltzes? Thank you for your reply m'dear and the information. Happy Friday! :)
      November 30, 2018 4:44 AM MST

Sorta kinda… we have the annual "Miracle On 34th Street" here where one city block is completely ornamented with an ostentatious and garish display of holiday lights and decorations.  I'm not sure if it attracts "scores of travelers" but it is widely known within the lore of both my city and state.  If you're interested in attending (this year or ever) it takes place on the 700 block of west 34th Street in the eastern Baltimore neighborhood known as Hampden.

Bonus: Hampden is where Baltimore native and director, John Waters, filmed the (original/1988) movie, Hairspray.

November 28, 2018 5:59 PM MST

Wow Bevo! Wow! You outdid yourself m'dear with your splendid reply because of the graphics you so generously share! It is spectacular! Wow!  I remember as a kid my dad driving through a neighborhood in the town of Altadena (southern California) that was known as "Christmas Tree Lane".  This was way way way long ago. The homes were very upscale and all of them were decorated to the hilt. It was like entering a fairy tale. I'm sure there are many neighborhoods in many towns that take pride in their yearly displays. Yours takes the cake I betcha! I never did see the movie Hairspray but I know it was very popular. Thank you for your reply and the photos. Happy  Thursday to you! :)
      November 29, 2018 2:19 AM MST

Hi RosieG… glad you like Bmore's little holiday extravaganza.  You are welcome anytime.  As we say here, "See you 'round downtown hon."  :)
      November 29, 2018 8:36 PM MST

I surely do like the sound of that m'dear. Years ago I had a job (internal auditor) that required me to travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma each year to do audit on one of our subcontractors. McDonnell Douglas. The folks there would always say "Y'all come back ya hear?" and it was very sincere and always made me feel awesomely good. Well your "see you 'round downtown hon" just did the same thing. Thanks for that m'dear. Never been to Baltimore or Maryland for that matter. Isn't Maryland famous for its clams and crabcakes?  D'ya have a killer recipe for crabcakes bevo? The ones you can buy in the market are filled with junk. I read all labels. We LOVE crab. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      November 30, 2018 4:55 AM MST

You bet RosieG.  One thing Maryland is known for is its hospitality... and its crabs!!!  I, alas, don't have a killer crab cake recipe but, here's a well keep Maryland secret—my mom makes the best crab cakes in all of Maryland ;)

XX
      November 30, 2018 10:52 PM MST

Maybe one or two...
      November 28, 2018 7:08 PM MST