Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » Americans (US), can you detect even the slightest Canadian accent?

Americans (US), can you detect even the slightest Canadian accent?

Eh.

Posted - November 30, 2018

Responses

Only when a Canadian says, "Take off, hoser."

~
      November 30, 2018 8:41 AM MST

You mean even the Canadians get mad when you correct their grammar? 
      November 30, 2018 8:49 AM MST

(mad angry)
      December 1, 2018 4:49 AM MST

What Abooot it? 

November 30, 2018 8:49 AM MST

• It reveals itself in certain words like "sorry" and "about". That was how I discovered the host of a podcast I listen to is Canadian. 
      November 30, 2018 10:49 AM MST

There was a news story on CBS about John Blackman, a reporter for that network who is retiring. He said the word 'over' and I caught it right away. I looked him up and he is Canadian. I also caught on the Roger Mooking, the host of Man Fie Food cooking show. One word gave him away. He pronounced the word 'process' as 'prohcess' A dead give away. This post was edited by Element 99 at November 30, 2018 5:29 PM MST
      November 30, 2018 11:37 AM MST

Accents are creatures all within themselves.  I know when someone has one but I am awful at guessing where they are from. 
    Take a Georgia accent vs. a Texas accent.  The only way I can figure those is by which ocean I am closer to and I even live in the same country!  Australian accents are different enough from the British accents I can normally call those but Canadian against British, I'm not so sure. 

What makes accents fun is we all have them and don't think we do. :)  When I lived in Tennessee, people would look at me and think, "You aren't from around here, are ya?"  It never occurred to me I sounded funny to them. :) This post was edited by Merlin at December 1, 2018 4:50 AM MST
      November 30, 2018 12:12 PM MST

I can't tell a Georgian from a Texan either.

I have lots of family in Colorado.  They all claim they don't have an accent but my husband says they do have one, lol.  I can't tell how they sound different but my hubby says he hears a big difference.
      November 30, 2018 5:40 PM MST

No.  I met a doctor recently who I thought was from Mississippi and was shocked to find out he was Canadian.
      November 30, 2018 1:21 PM MST

Not at all. Most northern accents sound the same to me. Particularly Wisconsin, upstate New York, and most of Canada.  

On the flip side, I can't even tell most Canadian musicians have any accent at all. 
      November 30, 2018 2:10 PM MST

not yet
      November 30, 2018 2:31 PM MST

No, I can't tell if someone's from Canada or not by the way they talk.  

I'm pretty tone deaf about accents, even my own.  I'm usually told I have a Minnesota accent but I don't know what my accent sounds like to other people.

I've also heard that people from the Northeast can tell the difference between people from the different boroughs of New York City or New Jersey or different parts of New England but they think everybody else is either from the south or from Canada so I guess people from the Northeast would keep asking me if I'm Canadian.
      November 30, 2018 5:27 PM MST

Minnesoota accents are a no-brainer.
      November 30, 2018 5:31 PM MST