Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » What do you remember about President George HW Bush, who died Friday evening at 94?

What do you remember about President George HW Bush, who died Friday evening at 94?

Did you know that he flew 58 missions in a US Navy torpedo bomber in the Pacific theater during WWII? On one mission, his plane was in flames from being hit by anti-aircraft fire, but he still managed to drop the bombs over the target, and he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his service. Like Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, and George W. Bush, he served in the military before launching his political career.

Posted - December 1, 2018

Responses

In a country as rich as ours, there should be no child that is intellectually wanting unless there is a learning disability involved.  That we have one of the worst educational systems in the world should be an embarrassment for us.  
      December 1, 2018 2:26 PM MST

But unfortunately, intellectual ability is innate and hereditary. It comes at least partially from genes, family, and home environment. It can be fostered by education, but not originated for and taught to those who do not possess it. That's why some people do better than others on aptitude tests. Money and a nation's wealth cannot equalize or change the distribution of ability and aptitude in the population. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at December 3, 2018 9:51 PM MST
      December 1, 2018 2:46 PM MST

That is true - it's the classic "nature vs. nurture" conundrum.  Our education system should still strive to educate even those who are not innately intellectually able so that they become the best they can be.  Unfortunately, too often, those not up to speed will be pushed to the side as lost causes. 
      December 1, 2018 2:49 PM MST

I don't remember anything. I've moved on.
      December 1, 2018 10:29 AM MST

probably that he was a good president
      December 1, 2018 1:57 PM MST

I remember "trickle down."  And I know a lot of people who are tired of being trickled ON.
      December 1, 2018 7:39 PM MST

Reagan's VP.
    1000 points of light
    Kinder gentler USA
    No new taxes and
    the Gulf war. This post was edited by my2cents at December 3, 2018 4:02 PM MST
      December 1, 2018 7:48 PM MST

He was a decent VP, didn't really have the stones for the top job. Managed to curb some of Reagan's excesses - quietly and discreetly. Bush Sr was one of the reasons why the Reagan administration was so successful.
    His own Presidency wasn't helped by his Party foisting a blithering idiot on him as his own VP. He got no help at all from Quayle, who was almost as stupid as Trump.
      December 2, 2018 5:20 AM MST

• I was born during his presidency, so I can't say that I remember much. I know less about him than I do about Reagan and Clinton as well, but I was intrigued by a description of him on NPR as the last president that wasn't despised by a significant portion of the population. Bush, then, is a remnant of a bygone era, pre-Gingrich. 
      December 2, 2018 1:35 PM MST

A Republican moderate, the last one. Moderates don't win R primaries anymore.
      December 2, 2018 4:29 PM MST

I loved it when somebody challenged his claim to be a resident of Texas and he answered by showing up in cowboy boots!

December 3, 2018 4:33 AM MST

That's George W, who did grow up in Texas, not George HW, who grew up in Massachusetts and settled in Texas as an adult.
      December 3, 2018 3:53 PM MST

It's an odd coincidence I clicked on this question.
    For some reason the news is on our TV.  I'm assuming Don must have turned it on to see what the weather had in store for him before going to work. 
    In between "One woman killed, another injured in a shooting in South Los Angeles," they are showing his burial ceremonies. You'll be sad to know the women killed was not the intended target.
    The ceremonies are beautiful.
    As far as how I duly feel about his presidency,  I am aware of many changes he made for this country and the soundness those changes were felt throughout the world.
    I was too young to realize how things behind the scenes worked before George HW Bush was involved in politics.  He was and highly decorated in military status.  Throughout my entire life, he has had a say in every thing substantial.  I do feel he and his buddies were the words behind Reagan.  Reagan was a great man and a GREAT actor.  For any decision Reagan made for himself, well, I think our Vice President had a bigger part than most Vice Presidents.
    I do appreciate him and am grateful for his aggressive stance on issues at hand.  He had a talent in bringing issues forward that would help his causes.
    I have always been in admiration of his martial status that proves the man stuck to an idea and wouldn't let it go.  I think he did the best he could to make sure his men landed on top.
    He was very good at manipulation and putting everyone in place to execute the plays needed to put the world in check.  Not check mate mind you but just "check."
    I do admire his strength in believing what he thought best, for picking a team to meet his goal and playing the game to make sure The United States of America would not be put in "Check Mate." 

This post was edited by Merlin at December 3, 2018 11:24 PM MST
      December 3, 2018 4:31 PM MST

I do remember tales of Barbara and Himself regularly ditching the the Secret Service while cross country skiing to have a bit of "Afternoon Delight". 
      December 5, 2018 4:47 AM MST

Really nothing.  Did not know him at all. 
      December 5, 2018 4:52 AM MST