Active Now

Thebigd
Danilo_G
Malizz
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You awaken to learn of the death of a former president. His wife passed away 8 months ago. He has joined her. Do you believe in a hereafter?

You awaken to learn of the death of a former president. His wife passed away 8 months ago. He has joined her. Do you believe in a hereafter?

Do YOU expect to be reunited with loved ones? If you don't believe you will would you like to do so if it were possible? Why?

Posted - December 1, 2018

Responses

Do I believe in the hereafter? Yes, I do. Do I expect to be reunited with loved ones? If they trusted Jesus for their salvation while they were still alive then yes, I expect to be reunited with them. If they didn't trust Jesus for their salvation, then there won't be any reunion. 
      December 1, 2018 10:28 AM MST

The scriptures state that anyone who has put their faith solely in Jesus for salvation already has eternal life.  Therefore I have no doubt in a "hereafter".  Everyone who puts their faith in Jesus AND obeys Him will live eternally.  If my loved ones do this then we'll have a great reunion in heaven.  If they don't, then I won't even remember them as there is no sadness in heaven.
    Just because a person is "great" or famous here on earth does NOT mean they'll automatically go to heaven.
      December 1, 2018 12:20 PM MST

It's harder for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven. Or so we are told. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Saturday! :)
      December 1, 2018 12:39 PM MST

That's because rich people tend to put their trust in their money - not in Jesus.  

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “I tell you the truth, it is very hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I’ll say it again—it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God! ”The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked.   Jesus looked at them intently and said, “with people, it is impossible.  But with God all things are possible.” - Matthew 19:23-26

December 1, 2018 1:11 PM MST

Of course there are exceptions. Sadly the exceptions do not become politicians. Perhaps the modest and ungreedy will one day aspire to lead our country. Perhaps. Hope we live long enough to experience it. Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      December 1, 2018 1:17 PM MST

That's OK. You Christians are the only people who believe that, and you try to prescribe it for everyone else. But guess what? We're not all Christian, and there are other equally valid ways of viewing life and death.
      December 1, 2018 1:21 PM MST

Does my being a Christian make my views have any more or less validity than anyone else's?  I try not to "prescribe" my religious beliefs, or force them on others.  However, when asked or have the chance to share them, I will do so gladly - just as anyone else would with their viewpoints.
      December 1, 2018 2:28 PM MST

Fair enough. But you said that rich people put their trust in their money, not in Jesus. Is there no other alternative? To me, that statement is grounded in the assumption that those rich people are Christians. What if they are Hindu, Jewish, or Muslim? Jesus won't hold much water then.
      December 1, 2018 2:40 PM MST

I said they TEND to put their trust in their money,not that they always do.  It doesn't matter what religion they profess (if any), what nationality, or even what gender one may be, people who have wealth tend to put their trust in it.  "My money will take care of me".  However, we can look around and see that this isn't always so.  Money/wealth isn't stable.  Many people have lost their fortunes (seemingly) "overnight" (not everyone, but some).  Some people have committed suicide because their wealth was gone (e.g. stock market crash of the 20's).  Without their money there was no reason left to live.  

There are always alternatives.  Everyone must put their trust in something.  If a rich person (Christian) puts their trust in their wealth, then they are not relying fully on Jesus.  Other religions don't put their faith in Jesus, so why should they listen to Him?  
      December 1, 2018 5:37 PM MST

You didn't qualify rich people as Christian rich people; you just leaped from rich people (implying all) to saying that they don't put their trust in Jesus. Putting aside the highly questionable notion that a guy who has been dead for more than 2,000 years is capable of breathing, thinking, or doing anything to help people today, you thus  simplistically implied that ALL rich people (and presumably ALL people) should put their trust in Jesus. Sorry, but that doesn't exactly come across as pluralistic thinking.
      December 1, 2018 5:52 PM MST

No....once you're dead you just return to the unique collection of atoms nature created you from .....you can live on for a while ,but only in the memories of those that knew you  .......and maybe government records ...
      December 1, 2018 2:52 PM MST

Actually, I went to sleep last night having heard about it.
      December 1, 2018 3:16 PM MST

Yes, I believe in an "hereafter." And I expect anything that was "good" to also be there, and for me to recognize and enjoy it as well.

For those interested in the "eye of the needle" of the bible:

The most likely explanation is that Jesus was using hyperbole, a figure of speech that exaggerates for emphasis. Jesus used this technique at other times, referring to a “plank” in one’s eye (Matthew 7:3-5) and swallowing a camel (Matthew 23:24).

Jesus’ message is clear—it is impossible for anyone to be saved on his own merits. Since wealth was seen as proof of God’s approval, it was commonly taught by the rabbis that rich people were blessed by God and were, therefore, the most likely candidates for heaven. Jesus destroyed that notion, and along with it, the idea that anyone can earn eternal life. The disciples had the appropriate response to this startling statement. They were utterly amazed and asked, “Who then can be saved?” in the next verse. If the wealthy among them, which included the super-spiritual Pharisees and scribes, were unworthy of heaven, what hope was there for a poor man?

Jesus’ answer is the basis of the gospel: "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God" (Matthew 19:26). Men are saved through God’s gifts of grace, mercy, and faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). Nothing we do earns salvation for us. It is the poor in spirit who inherit the kingdom of God (Matthew 5:3), those who recognize their spiritual poverty and their utter inability to do anything to justify themselves to a holy God. The rich man so often is blind to his spiritual poverty because he is proud of his accomplishments and has contented himself with his wealth. He is as likely to humble himself before God as a camel is to crawl through the eye of a needle. 
      December 1, 2018 4:28 PM MST

an a hereafter
      December 1, 2018 4:53 PM MST

Since you were already participating in this thread, I used "an" after I read your second response to Shuhak.  You chose to emphasis the requirements of someone thought by many to be the key to an afterlife rather than the primary point that man may well be incapable of achieving a hereafter by their own efforts.

I don't know whether I was too subtle whether you think that everything that is not done the way you think it should be done is incorrect or unintended.

(And by the way. proper grammar mandates that you should have used either italics or quotes in attempt to correct my post.)
      December 1, 2018 5:28 PM MST

Well whoopee-dam-doo for you. "An hereafter" is incorrect, so I told you about it. Sorry if you didn't like the way I did so. Next time, don't make the mistake, and you won't leave yourself open to correction by the rest of us poor, under-educated slobs for whom you have so much disdain - no matter whom we voted for more than two years ago. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at December 1, 2018 6:01 PM MST
      December 1, 2018 6:00 PM MST

I will address only one issue that you speak of at the moment---how impressive is someone who attempts to point out a alleged mistake without doing it correctly?
      June 2, 2020 6:36 PM MDT

An existence in the hereafter but without awareness of space,  time or material stuff. 

June 2, 2020 6:56 PM MDT