Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » Is there any benefit to being in an honors program if you're an adult returning to school?

Is there any benefit to being in an honors program if you're an adult returning to school?

I could see how being in a program would be beneficial if you're a young 'un and are planning on applying to a grad school with lots of competition, but if you're an adult returning and there's virtually no competition, does being part of an honors program matter? Or is it just a fun thing to do so you can say you did it?

Posted - December 3, 2018

Responses

I haven't done this, but I would say yeah, the benefit is just so you could say you did it, add to the triumph a little. It's possible too that it will give you some extra motivation, keep you feeling excited about it. But I wouldn't know, I was always a terrible student. Honestly it's a miracle I graduated High School
      December 3, 2018 11:05 PM MST

I wouldn't call it an honors program (YOU ARE SMART, JA.  It blows my mind how smart)

But I did go take a Master Body Worker program that you had to have a good average at school (not straight A's) and most people did not opt to take it.  I did because I thought it would look good on a resume'.

It helped a lot.  But it just gets you a foot in the door.  You then have to bring it.

I'd imagine an honors program would look good for the same reason.  It will help get you a good job, hopefully.

December 3, 2018 11:08 PM MST

Thank you. :) You're obviously no slouch either. 

I was offered admission into mine, but being in the honors program also lets you pay a reduced fee for classes, and so, for that reason, I am considering going for it, but beyond that I'm doubtful there's much value to it. Yours might be a little different though because every class and every certification means you're providing better care. I would think. 
      December 4, 2018 5:26 PM MST

That's what it was SUPPOSED to do.  It was basically a cram.  And I don't know about you, but cramming really leaves MUCH to be desired.  

I learned a lot about the business after I got out of school  As with all the prior schooling I attended.   So, those that found a niche the fastest, just went out and started working on people.

I used one thing from that Masters program.  Hot Stones. And guess what?  I was re-trained on them the minute I got a job in a spa.  

So, yes it was beneficial, but I don't think I would have done it knowing what I know now.  

And it cost 4 grand to boot.

What I meant about you being smart?  You are smart in many many fields.  It blows my mind that you are so very good in so many varieties of subjects.

I am very good at language, art, healing.  I think I am done.  LOL  Oh yeah, and TRUMP forced me to get very good at politics.  
    Thanks DON.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 5, 2018 4:55 PM MST
      December 5, 2018 7:48 AM MST

Hello JA
    I went to school later in life, I was in my 40's.
    My reason for going to college at that time was because of an injury. I was told I wouldn't be able to return to my field of work, at the time I held a contractors license. My first year I was nominated to an honors program (in Architecture), however I declined. I didnt have a desire to participate in the activities required, field trips, peer reviews, mentoring, etc. I just wanted the degree for licensure, as my plan was to use it for my own business.
    Because I went into a field that I had always been interested in, and had been involved in many collaborations between Architects, engineers and homeowners I, at the time had more real world, practical experience than those I was in school with, including the graduate student mentors.
    There are benefits to being in an honors program, the immersion in your field of study is much more intense. It is also valuable in developing a network of professionals in the field. 
    It up to the individual and what they want to accomplish with their degree.

December 3, 2018 11:59 PM MST

Thank you for sharing. Sorry to hear about the injury. 

That's kind of what I'm looking at as well. I'm self-employed and will likely stay self-employed, so I don't see much professional value in participating. 
      December 4, 2018 5:31 PM MST

Thank You JA
    Aside from some obvious traumatic scarring, I have made a full recovery and will, on occasion construct and install various trim packages of my design. 
    Whatever you decide, Im sure you will be successful in your endeavor. 
      December 4, 2018 6:37 PM MST

You are setting a good example to your family, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. 
      December 4, 2018 3:54 AM MST

I wouldn't do it. I went to school specifically for one reason. Anyway there was no 'honours' program. The regular was difficult enough.
      December 4, 2018 11:52 AM MST

I can imagine. 

Hey, that reminds me... when I do my biology class and it gets into molecular biology, will you tutor me? ;)
      December 4, 2018 5:32 PM MST

Ooh...I didn't teach biology. My son is the uberexpert. He has a degree in biochemistry. He tutors online. Perhaps I can hook you two up somehow.
      December 4, 2018 7:14 PM MST

I know you didn't, but you still know way more about the subject than me. I still remember you explaining atoms with toes. I've forgotten what you were explaining, but I do remember the toes. lol :P

I'm just doing basic stuff- things that have likely already been covered in other classes I've taken. I'll figure it out.
      December 5, 2018 7:39 AM MST

Of course I shall tutor you to the best of my abilities. PM me when you have a question.
      December 5, 2018 12:12 PM MST

there nnight be
      December 4, 2018 1:52 PM MST

Keeps the mind agile and continuing to develop new mental skills.
    Depending on the discipline, can help elders integrate with the latest theories and knowledge.
    For professionals, there is no age limit on starting work.
    I know of 60-year-olds who've started studying law and ended up with successful and satisfying jobs.
    In some fields, like psychology, maturity and life experience can be a bonus - no harm in starting the studies late.
      December 4, 2018 5:40 PM MST

Depends on the Degree Program and what you intend to do with it.  In some fields it is a waste, others especially the crowded ones it puts you at the front of the line to be interviewed.

If this is for work and you are in a soft field, do it
      December 5, 2018 4:53 AM MST

• It's about as dumb as having an adult student counsel.
      December 5, 2018 4:07 PM MST