Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If God made us in his image, does he have sinus cavities, tonsils and an appendix? Since He lives forever, why don't we?

If God made us in his image, does he have sinus cavities, tonsils and an appendix? Since He lives forever, why don't we?

Posted - December 4, 2018

Responses

i dont think so
      December 4, 2018 3:46 PM MST

Then he didn't make us in his image.
      December 4, 2018 3:51 PM MST

I think we differ so much in our traits and appearance, it calls into serious question how this (among many, many other obvious contradictions) could be so.  

Is it merely coincidence how all iterations of God(s) invariably resemble the ideals of the imperfect people who revere them... This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 6, 2018 12:38 AM MST
      December 4, 2018 4:57 PM MST

I've always thought the idea absurd that God made us in His image.
    It makes no logical sense given the realities of what we see among the peoples of the world.

If the definition of God is the God of the Old Testament, then the story of The Fall is supposed to explain human mortality.

Not all Jews, Christians or Muslims interpret these early Biblical definitions as being literally so.
    Many see the O.T. stories as allegories of social, religious and spiritual evolution and use the Bible as a guide to ethics and wisdom which can be adapted to modern life. They see the laws of physics as created by God, and evolution as God's way of creating our world.

Personally, I think there are too many contradictions even in this interpretation. Nevertheless, this compromise view "works" for an enormously high proportion of people. It allows them to take advantage of electricity, satellite communications, technology, medicine and the numerous other conveniences of modern life without sacrificing what they see as the necessary underpinnings of an ethical life.

In my view, it is easily possible to be fully ethical and committed to a loving and compassionate way of life without having to believe in that which cannot be proven. This post was edited by inky at December 7, 2018 6:03 PM MST
      December 4, 2018 5:24 PM MST

You got all of that from a quite stupid question? You are a genius.
      December 5, 2018 6:42 AM MST

I agree with you.  Nom de Plume does produce brilliant answers.  They are easy reads and very organized.  However, you ain't so bad in the genius category, yourself.
     There was nothing stupid about your question.  Now, receiving a definitive answer is entirely out of the question.
      December 6, 2018 12:48 AM MST

I don't know why you think it is cute to ask a silly ass thing like this?

I should not bother to answer.  But I will.

God has appeared on earth so many times it is amazing so many can walk by and not recognize Him.  Her.  

When He appears in human form, he has a human body.

When I say we live forever, I am NOT WISHING it were so.  I have reams of books on people who have died and have spoken of the after life through people who can access the mind of the dead person.   Bah Humbug?  Try reading before you blurt anything.  This is not made up.  Most of the people who have explained what they are receiving do not even know the dead person.  That is one way to see through the veil.

And please... those of you who have not studied this and witnessed this?  Don't give me your priceless opinion on a subject you know virtually nothing about.  

I have spent my life witnessing phenomenon that only an extremely dense person would fail to see.  And yet, those who claim to be highly intelligent laud their knowledge and cling desperately to the only thing they feel is real.  Their very limited mind.  And with that egoic trap, they walk around blindly and expect me to feel the sting of their insults.  LOL Oh please.   Would you be insulted by a 3 year old telling you what is what? That is exactly how it sounds to me.

Your intelligence can only take you so far.  And to think that your paltry  mind can figure out what lies beyond its ken, and claim God does not exist, is foolhardy at best.

May you find Him before you die.  Death is meant to be peaceful and exciting, not fraught with fear of the unknown.

I'll see you on the other side someday and we will both have a laugh.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 4, 2018 7:45 PM MST
      December 4, 2018 7:30 PM MST

Reading this bitter screed, some are already laughing. And you call me a pompous blowhard. That’s pretty amusing too. The pot calling the kettle black.
    #SoAngry This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 6, 2018 7:17 AM MST
      December 5, 2018 5:01 AM MST

I took no offense.
      December 5, 2018 6:44 AM MST

Me either. It’s just funny. 
      December 5, 2018 6:48 AM MST

I'm not sure if you insulted me or not. But...I don't really care. Carry on.
      December 6, 2018 7:17 AM MST

Dang...what a lengthy answer to a silly question. Hey...you said it was silly...not me.
      December 4, 2018 7:47 PM MST

You included one vestigial organ in your question---the appendix.  Since Vestigiality is the retention during the process of evolution of genetically determined structures, I would suggest that He probably has no appendix.

And of course, the likeness is is chiefly in the soul---in the intellect and free will.

And "simple" immortality requires sinlessness.  (We are immortal, but only in the form of resurrected bodies.)

This post was edited by tom jackson at December 6, 2018 12:50 AM MST
      December 4, 2018 7:57 PM MST

The "image of God" in The Bible is not meant to refer to any specific organs as such but rather refers to the fact that because we share in the Divine breath (life) it indicates that we were created as a species by God to be God's earthly representatives and stewards of God's kingdom on this earth.  At the time The Bible was written (dictated) many people possessed images in which they imagined the spirit of their fondest gods dwelt and kings were supposed to be in the "image of God" because of their position on earth.  But The Bible makes clear that we have no need for such images because we all are in God's image, and that is not something belonging just to kings and the powerful and/or talented but to all of us.

Because we are not God of course our life on earth comes to an end.  But many Christians believe we will live forever with God.  Will share in God's eternal life. 
      December 5, 2018 6:47 AM MST

This is the only way I can explain it...

John 4:24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”  

John
    [1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with  God, and the Word was God.
    [2] The same was in the beginning with  God.
    [3] All things were made by him; and without him was not any  thing made that was made.
    [4] In him was life; and the life was the  light of men.
    [5] And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness  comprehended it not.
    [6] There was a man sent from God, whose name was  John.
    [7] The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light,  that all men through him might believe.
    [8] He was not that Light, but  was sent to bear witness of that Light.
    [9] That was the true Light,  which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
    [10] He was in  the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him  not.
    [11] He came unto his own, and his own received him  not.
    [12] But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become  the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    [13] Which  were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man,  but of God.
    [14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and  we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of  grace and truth.

John 2: 15 -17 -
    Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 

"Image and likeness." In Jewish learning, God's image not only means a description of our creative powers, but is also a statement in how we treat others.

In Kabbalah this is Malkuth, realm of the earth and matter. In the shadow side of the Tree Of Life called Qliphoth, the demonic force is Lilith/Naama "Queen of the Night."
      December 5, 2018 6:01 PM MST

A couple ideas came to mind.

We're still in the evolving process.  Soon, we also will not have sinus cavities, tonsils or appendixes.  We just haven't reached that stage yet.

Either that or he mummified himself and took all earthly parts out before moving on.

Some of us get a jump start on the process.  How many people do you know that have had their tonsils and/or appendixes removed?
    Ya Never Knowwww...

Big winks and smiles!

December 6, 2018 1:11 AM MST

Witty! Inner chortling and big smile. I like your answer very much!
      January 28, 2019 4:42 PM MST

Ifyoupostnonsenseoverandover,donotcomplainwhentheanswersarenotofyourliking.

Howaboutmovingon now?

Thisisgettingabitstupidevenforsillyquestions. Imeancanyouatleastadvanceittoamoreintelligentlevel?

Stupidandsillyjustarenotfunny.  Itstedious. Imeanwhatnext:

IfGodcreatedusinHISIMAGEWhydoesn'thehaveabellybutton. Whydoesn'thehavehairinhisnostrils. Whydoesn'the/shegetaperiod.

Imeantherearetonsoforgansandthingsinthebody.  SOHILARIOUS.

Howlongisthisgoingtolast? 

Youareverypassiveagressive. acting like you are so confused as to why people are seriously answering this.  The last one stirred a lot of fights, so don't tell me you are not getting some evil kick out of being an instigator.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 6, 2018 7:27 AM MST
      December 6, 2018 7:22 AM MST

Q "If God made us in his image, does he have sinus cavities, tonsils and an appendix? Since He lives forever, why don't we?"
    ===============================================================================

That's a big if, and not likely to be satisfied if He is, by definition, a spiritual being whereas we're physical and He's, again by definition, immortal while we're mortal.
      January 26, 2019 12:20 PM MST