Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Are there movies that leave you feeling depressed for a while after you watch them? In a good way I mean...

Are there movies that leave you feeling depressed for a while after you watch them? In a good way I mean...

There are 11 or 12 movies I watch every now and again that make me feel like complete sh*t for like a week after, but in the best way. Not necessarily because they're sad or tragic (though some of them are), more because there's a realness, or precious quality to them. I feel melancholy for days but I also have this weird clean slate feeling, where suddenly there's a little optimism coming back into my life and I feel kind of good about the future.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is one for me. "The Royal Tenenbaums" is another, along with "Almost Famous", and oddly "The Princess Bride". And "Synecdoche, New York" Is probably the most wonderfully depressing movie I've ever seen.

Posted - December 6, 2018

Responses

Nobody?
      December 6, 2018 1:08 PM MST

no
      December 6, 2018 2:38 PM MST

No.  Some movies make me angry.  I remember the first time I watched And the Band Played On I was angry for days.  Thanks of a Grateful Nation  did the same thing.  
      December 6, 2018 10:18 PM MST

I haven't seen either of those, do you mean they made you mad because you hated them so much, or because the subject matter was upsetting?
      December 6, 2018 11:57 PM MST

Truthful content.  The AIDS epidemic in America could have been avoided.  The health problems of Desert Storm soldiers were covered up and the veterans were lied to.  Horrible parts of our history. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 9, 2018 4:44 AM MST
      December 8, 2018 10:27 PM MST

• The only movie I can think of offhand that made me feel depressed was Ode To Billy Joe.   Bear in mind, it was 1976, and I was only 12 or 13.   I don't know what "depressed in a good way" might feel like, but this movie was not it.
      December 8, 2018 10:33 PM MST

lavender, can't believe you remember that far back!! We are same age and I too had same feeling after seeing that film;I just forgot! There was some movie I think called bad things but not in any way the same,just made me feel f****d up! Sometimes, I have to admit that ANY movie that makes me cry (which are few) do give me a strangely refreshing feeling...simply cuz I just don't cry at  too much anything otherwise!
      December 8, 2018 10:41 PM MST

• I think because as my daughter used to say - I am a ginger, therefore I have no soul - I have missed out on the "Happy-Depressed" thing.   I guess I better check the 'zon (Amazon) for souls and get me one of those.   :p
      December 9, 2018 3:28 PM MST

Bloodnuts have to STEAL souls.
      December 9, 2018 4:35 PM MST

• Ah Man.  I gave up shoplifting when I was 16.  Guess I better get back on that.
      December 9, 2018 4:55 PM MST

The big Chill was one that gave mea somewhat similar melancholy but satisfyingly somber kind of vibe.
      December 8, 2018 10:43 PM MST

I only saw "The Royal Tenenbaums" of your list.
    :)

"magnolia"
    "Dancer in the Dark"
    "Rouge"
    "Blanche"
    "Bleu"
    "71 fragments of a chronology of chance"

Those are some for me.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 9, 2018 3:14 PM MST
      December 9, 2018 4:47 AM MST

I've only seen the first 2 on your list, very fitting! I'll have to check out the rest
      December 9, 2018 1:03 PM MST

Thanks, bigloseridiotman!

Hey, if you watch the color trilogy -- they're definitely a trilogy. I like all three of them. If you do watch them, make sure you watch them in order. I had the order wrong in my answer. The order is "Bleu," "Blanche," and then "Rouge."

"magnolia" and "Dancer in the Dark" -- I really like both of those a lot!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 10, 2018 7:19 AM MST
      December 9, 2018 3:19 PM MST

for sure, I have this list of movies I want to see that I started making around 2013 that has been growing and growing and really getting out of hand. Even considering how many I watch, more gets put on than I can cross off. The three colors trilogy is on there, and it's been in the queue for years. But it's coming up soon! This list is so freakin long i'm probably die before I finish it
      December 9, 2018 11:07 PM MST

I'm the same way. I don't have an official list written but there are a lot.

From what I remember (I think I've only seen them once or twice). the Color Trilogy movies work on their own but they also 'gel' nicely when seen in order.
    The fact that I can't really remember -- make me wonder how much I actually like them. But I know I do.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 10, 2018 1:48 PM MST
      December 10, 2018 7:19 AM MST