Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » People are prisoners of their mobile phones ! ...it that why they are called Cell phones in America.. . ? :)D

People are prisoners of their mobile phones ! ...it that why they are called Cell phones in America.. . ? :)D

Posted - December 6, 2018

Responses

probably
      December 6, 2018 3:33 PM MST

IN Austria, Germany and elsewhere Handy's.........  In France and the rest of the EU it is Mobile.  In the UK I think Mobile at least if one belives the ads on the Beeb
      December 6, 2018 7:41 PM MST

You're right about the name but there are no ads on the BBC - though some of the items on You And Yours come perilously close to being naked ads for supermarkets and things!

These things are NOT "Mobile" though - they are "portable"!  This misuse of the word comes from barely-literate advertising-clerks and so-called "marketing" types, in these radio-telephones' early days.
      January 3, 2019 3:26 PM MST

(I was curious.)

Cellular was the chosen term because each tower and its coverage map looked like a biological cell. Eventually, phones that operated on this type of wireless network were called cellular phones. The term mobile phone predates its cellular counterpart. ... The phone is a mobile phone and it operates on a cellular network.

December 6, 2018 8:06 PM MST

They aren't called cell phones in America.  The network is cellular.  The phones are mobile.  I've been trying to educate the world on this for some time now. 
      December 6, 2018 9:53 PM MST

Everyone calls them "mobile", thanks to marketing illiterates, but they are NOT "mobile"! At least, mine has no motor and wheels. They are "portable"!
      January 3, 2019 3:27 PM MST

The phones are mobile phones; they are used while you are moving around and they use a cellular network.   Those are the correct terms. It's not about marketing this time.  I was around when it was born out of radio relay.  But you go ahead and call your mobile a portable.  
      January 3, 2019 10:18 PM MST

Regarding being "prisoners" of the things.....

One of my favourite cafes in town looks out onto a busy shopping street, where I can tease the manageress by asking for "plain coffee" rather than whatever pseudo-Italian name it's compulsory by law to use, and sit people-musing. On any one day a good quarter of the adult passers-by will have their now-not-so-little talking-blocks jammed to an ear, or connected to their heads by wires. The pavement opposite was partially obstructed by scaffolding for some time, and one day I saw a young woman approaching it rapidly, engrossed in whatever shopping-list or Shakespearean drama she was reading... I noted with some relief that she avoided the scaffolding though. Perhaps her so-called "smart" 'phone's so-called "apps" included one called "Collision Avoidance Radar".

Of those not actually skin-grafted or hard-wired to the 'phone, many owners prominently display it protruding from a back pocket. I wonder how many telephones so carried are broken by being sat upon, lost by falling out, or stolen by pick-pockets, every year?

My own 'phone? It's a basic DORO with buttons rather than image-keys, small enough to hide in a zipped pocket, easy to use for both voice and text communication, which is all I need, and it spends far more time switched off than on. I had a so-called "smart phone", an LG 2017, but didn't get on with it, found it ridiculously complicated and difficult to use - and its telephone function  was basically an accessory -  physically, absurdly heavy and clumsy. I had it unlocked, removed the card and keep meaning to try and sell it.
      January 3, 2019 3:54 PM MST