Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Will you name one movie you believe lived up to its hype and one that did not?

Will you name one movie you believe lived up to its hype and one that did not?

For me --

Did --

"Citizen Kane"

Image result for citizen kane

Did not - -

"Forrest Gump"

Posted - December 6, 2018

Responses

• "Lord of the Rings" ... (yes)

"The Lone Ranger"  (2013)

(Disney lost $190 million)

"

December 6, 2018 8:42 PM MST

I saw "Hammer" there in the poster. Did not recognize that name. Looked the name up. My first reaction -- Armie looks sort of hot. I'm in a very base frame of mind lately.
    :)
    I didn't see "The Lone Ranger."

I saw "The Lord of the Rings." Before I saw it, a friend said I must read the books first. Oh, my -- I needed her as a tutor through the entire reading of the books.
    I could not keep straight in my head any of the elaborate-to-me names. Half the time I had to keep trying to figure out if the name was the name of a character or a kingdom.
    I'm probably not the best person to rate that movie, ha!

December 7, 2018 7:05 AM MST

Jaws did.  Only one?  Okay.
    Deliverance did not.  Ida no, (Hey, there's one) I guess it was well acted, had a good story etc. but it was just to dam depressing.
      December 6, 2018 9:36 PM MST

I liked "Jaws," too.

I may have like "Deliverance" a bit more than you did but, yeah, it's not an uplifting film, ha!
      December 7, 2018 6:59 AM MST

Oh we love Forrest Gump.  You hear Forrest Gump quotes quite often down South. 

Citizen Kane is still considered the best film ever made.  It has held that position for many years. 
      December 6, 2018 9:43 PM MST

I know that I'm in the minority about my thoughts to "Forrest Gump."
    Perhaps I may have liked it more if I had not heard so much prior raves from everyone. I saw it quite a long time after it was released, maybe even years. I don't know exactly what I was expecting but, as often seems to happen to me, I tend to enjoy movies more if I know practically nothing about it beforehand.

I really liked Sally Field in it, though.

I love that "Citizen Kane."
      December 7, 2018 6:56 AM MST

Really don't know as I don't follow hype.  I just watch them and some I like and would see again, some I do not. 

Citizen Kane - very inspiring and well done. Forrest Gump was silly but was supposed to be so and once you accepted the premise then was fun.  But I would not go out of my way to watch it again.  A Child's Christmas in Wales, Willy Wonka (1971), The Swimmer, Dazed and Confused, Mickey One, a lot of 70s films from when I was young, A Hard Days Night, The Sheltering Sky , the four 60s Miss Marples with Margaret Rutherford. Metropolitan, Made For Each Other (1971) are some I have watched multiple times with continuing enjoyment. 
      December 7, 2018 7:18 AM MST

I'll be back -- - but I saw your mentioning "Made for Each Other" (1971) !!! You're the o nly perosn I know who has mentieond tis movie out of the blue! I ADORED this movie! Saw it only once, by chance.
    What a great, great littel movie tom e!

can't fix typos -- got to run
      December 7, 2018 3:49 PM MST

Saw it on TV some years back and tried to get it on DVD or video but eventually gave up.  Just this year my husband got it and surprised me with it. Yes very well done and supposedly based on their relationship.  I still cry at the ending as I did the first time I saw it. 
      December 7, 2018 7:43 PM MST

I guess I don't quite remember all the movie details but I remember how touchingly FUNNY it was! And both the leads are so good. I think I remember reading that, too, what you mentioned -- it was sort of based on their relationship.
      December 8, 2018 10:12 AM MST

Did - The Shawshank Redemption

Didn't - Titanic

I liked Forrest Gump, but it should have lost the Oscar to Shawshank. :)
      December 7, 2018 8:20 AM MST

I'm an extra in "The Shawshank Redemption."
      December 7, 2018 3:50 PM MST

Really? Wow! That's exciting!!

I didn't know you were an actor! Any other films you're in?
      December 7, 2018 6:17 PM MST

I guess it's fun to think I'm "acting" as an extra -- I guess it'd be acting. Wasn't too hard to be an extra for that movie. A friend gave me the newspaper ad calling for extras being needed for the movie. All they based hiring on was my physical appearance in two studio shots they asked for.

That's the only big budget movie I'm in.

I did have an acting role (my name is in the opening credits!) in a movie that was totally regionally based -- all people involved in the movie were all from the area. That was fun, too, as was the whole Shawshank experience.

Oh, and that famous tree Morgan Freeman sits under to find something Tim Robbins left for him? And the tree is by a fence in a field? I think it's something like that in the movie - - anyway, the tree got destroyed in a lightning storm, a direct hit.
      December 7, 2018 8:49 PM MST

I think it's still pretty cool, especially to have been in such an iconic film. As much as you like movies, it had to have been exciting for you. 

What a bummer about the tree! I love that rock wall that Andy hides the box next to. I've wondered if it was there or if it was constructed for the film. I have a thing for rock walls. :)
      December 8, 2018 8:12 AM MST

I can't remember about that rock wall, if they built it for the movie or not. I'm thinking they might have?

I do know that the owner of the property where the tree was did not particularly enjoy all the sightseeing people wanting to see the tree. I'm thinking people had to trespass to get to it. and I heard a lot of people wanted to get married under it.

I got to get back to work now -- but I remember that "The Shawshank Redemption" was a flop at the box office in its theatrical run. It got good critical reviews but the public pretty much ignored it. It was when it was released on video and DVD or whatever that the movie took off in popularity.

If you're a huge fan of that movie -- the line, "Red, I do believe you're talking out of your as*"  -- and, AFTER that line (not during the line) I then appear immediately, walking behind the bleachers, on the right of the screen, talking and walking with two other guys, both of whom were very funny. That's why it looks like I'm laughing and nodding my head. I was really enjoying their talking.
    At least, that's what I think I remember it looks like; I've not watched the movie more than twice, I think. And I remember my sister saw the movie in its theatrical release in a theater and she called me later -- she had spotted me! And she said, "You're the only happy-looking prisoner in that entire movie."
    Ha!
    I think that's a great line.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 8, 2018 10:34 AM MST
      December 8, 2018 10:20 AM MST

...seriously?
      December 7, 2018 9:28 PM MST

Yeah, I promise. It's true.
      December 7, 2018 9:50 PM MST

• Lived up to hype:  Schindler's List

Fail: Pearl Harbor
      December 7, 2018 8:42 AM MST

I didn't see "Pearl Harbor."

Yeah, "Schindler's List" is pretty powerful for sure. Sobering.
      December 7, 2018 9:56 PM MST

• You are not missing a thing.  It's pretty nauseating.
      December 7, 2018 10:16 PM MST

December 7, 2018 10:22 PM MST

Who Framed Roger Rabbit DEFINITELY lived up to its reputation; I felt very underwhelmed by North By Northwest though.  Even the famed chase across the faces of Mount Rushmore failed to impress me. 
      December 7, 2018 9:17 AM MST

North by Northwest -- yeah, me, too!
      December 7, 2018 3:51 PM MST