Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you trust SNOPES? If it says something ain't true is that true blue and you can take it to the bank? Do you rely on Snopes?

Do you trust SNOPES? If it says something ain't true is that true blue and you can take it to the bank? Do you rely on Snopes?

Snlopes sez the quote attributed to Sinclair Lewis about Fascism cannot be found anywhere in anything Sinclair Lewis wrote. Now some say it "sounds like something he would have said". Either way we count on things to be true that sometimes aren't. Is Snopes your source of truth?  Do you check it out about everything INCLUDING everything your prez sez?

Posted - December 8, 2018

Responses

What does it say about us even when we question a fact-checking website? In that case, we won't be able to fully trust anyone or anything. I see nothing but trouble here Rosie.
      December 8, 2018 8:59 AM MST

I'm the only one I see here questioning it sweetie. I have heard of it but never gone to it or used it. Why it came up is that Sharon replied to one of my questions and provided me with a really great quote attributed to Sinclair Lewis. I asked a question about it. Then I Googled Sinclair Lewis because I wanted to see what else he might have said that would be good to know. That's where I found the  rebuttal by Snopes saying Sinclair Lewis never really said it but it sounded like something he would say. So I wondered if Snopes is an honorable trustworthy site I could go to for checking things out? I've seen the name before but I never pursued it. So do you check things out there? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday. To answer your question Zack no one trusts anyone about anything any more. True? We've been in trouble at least since this prez was placed in the job by Russia and more likely before during his campaign and even before that when he took on the mantle of BIRTHER leader. It's been a real long time since we could believe what a prez said. A real long time. SIGH. :(
      December 8, 2018 9:25 AM MST

Yes, I do check out that website from time to time, but it's not my primary source of fact-checking the news that comes across my news feed every day. Another source I have is: 

https://www.factcheck.org/
      December 8, 2018 9:34 AM MST

I do use Snopes.com when I think something doesn't sound right and I want to check it out. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at December 8, 2018 9:49 AM MST
      December 8, 2018 9:38 AM MST