Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Walmart offers mental health services

Walmart offers mental health services

https://fee.org/articles/save-money-get-better-walmart-now-offers-mental-health-services/

Posted - December 9, 2018

Responses

No, thanks, Walmart -- I already see Lucy

:)

December 9, 2018 2:51 PM MST

I use - This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at December 9, 2018 3:09 PM MST
      December 9, 2018 2:59 PM MST

This is amazing!!!

This is actually one of the ideas I was tossing around in my mind. I'm working on a psychology degree now and one of the biggest issues I've noticed is that the resources aren't really there for people. Yes, you can usually use your insurance to schedule with someone, but if you aren't familiar with the industry, it's really hard to figure out who you should see and when you do pick someone, there are long waits. Adding to it, mental health centers are removed from the public eye. So, you actually have to know it's there and know what it's about to seek it out. 

By putting it in a high-traffic space, Wal-Mart is not only normalizing mental health care, but putting it in reach for more people. 

My concept was a little different. I was leaning more toward opening up in a mall or something and serving as a resource hub versus having traditional long-term clinical relationships with people. i.e. Someone comes in and is struggling. I'd talk to them for a while and give them a roadmap or connect them with someone for ongoing care- work with a number of other providers in the area and know their specialties/ insurances, so that I could make sure the person who came in was getting connected with the right person for their needs. I was also pondering holding pay-what-you-can group sessions. Not too terribly unlike AA nor NA or whatever, but without all the god stuff. Anything that can be done to get more help in the hands of those who need it. 
      December 9, 2018 3:20 PM MST

You should consider library cats. They get much better purr reviews.
    https://twitter.com/edinlibrarycat
      December 10, 2018 1:02 PM MST

You must be mad to go there ...you end up off your cake for ages....:( 
      December 9, 2018 3:38 PM MST

Is it stamped: "Made in China"?

:(
      December 9, 2018 3:52 PM MST

• Too funny.  I can NOT stand Walmart, and I refuse to shop there, even for Equate mental health. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 10, 2018 3:05 PM MST
      December 9, 2018 3:54 PM MST

Hello Not Sure
    I guess this would be a good investment for Wal-Mart, especially if the service are all in-house. They would have to construct the space used, a reception/waiting rm, consultation rooms,  handi-cap bathroom, etc. If they were able to contract with the county to provide court ordered treatment, i.e. domestic violence, anger management, substance abuse, DWI classes, etc. they can make a fortune. 
    This is also helpful in making mental-health services more available and might make it easier for some patients who are dealing with the stigma involved with seeking mental health assistance This will also help in lowering costs for treatment and could open up more competition in services. 
    I believe that the key to lowering prices and improving services will be opening up such competition for health services in general. 
      December 9, 2018 4:25 PM MST