Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Have you ever been censored in any way?

Have you ever been censored in any way?

Posted - December 10, 2018

Responses

If you do not see that you as well as everyone else on the planet are continuously being censored with each individual you meet, then you need to consider this.

You walk up to a person, you think, "Oh this guy is boring, I'll bet."  Or maybe this person is HOT and I want him/her.  Well, that person is censoring your thoughts as well as the filter you have in your head.  

We need censoring.  

As far as a ban on my speaking?  NO.  I am not that important for anyone to consider censoring me.
      December 10, 2018 10:35 AM MST

Although on this site I am free to respectfully express disagreement,
    I beg your permission to argue against your point of view.

And then without waiting for your reply, I go ahead anyway because, unless the mods think something I say offends against the TIS, no one else can delete this response (as far as I know).

If the mods did take this down, that would be censorship - not a bad thing, but a thing agreed by all based on the disastrous experiences (on EP) of what happens when trolls are allowed to emotionally wound people so badly that the whole site becomes dysfunctional and dies from desertions. This is what censorship, in its best use, does; it helps keep freedom of speech within boundaries to prevent and minimise the harmful effects of malicious, mendacious and vexatious communications. I would love to use swearwords here for brevity and strength of effect but have censored myself to abide by the TIS.

This is a roundabout way of demonstrating what I mean about the use and meaning of the word "censor".

It seems to me that for you, "censor" means "judge" - or to choose or discriminate on the basis of a judgement, even if it's only in the privacy of the mind.
    It is true that we all judge one another almost all the time, whether we admit it or not, and whether we are consciously aware of it or not. It's a necessary life process for making choices in who are our friends, who we marry, how we rear our children, how we vote - in fact, every decision we ever make. The person who genuine refused to ever make any kind of judgement would end up as hapless as a leaf in the wind.

Some people perhaps take the habit of judgement too far. Perhaps some spend too much time being overconcerned which their judgements of others and not enough time in honestly examining themselves. If they are overt about it, to others they appear arrogant, self-righteous and censorious.
    But there's a massive difference between censoring and being censorious.

To censor, one must have the power to shut down and destroy someone else's public communication. 

I would call your way of using the word "censor" a kind of category error based on set theory.
    All A's are letters of the alphabet, but not all letters of the alphabet are A's.
    All mosquitoes are insects, but not all insects are mosquitoes.
    While all censorship involves judgement, not all judgements involve censorship.

This is where the precise meaning of words makes a huge difference in how well we understand each other.

censor /ˈsÉ›nsÉ™/
    noun
    1. an official who examines books, films, news, etc. that are about to be published and suppresses any parts that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

2. (in ancient Rome) either of two magistrates who held censuses and supervised public morals.
    verb

1. examine (a book, film, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.
      "the report had been censored ‘in the national interest’"
      synonyms: cut, delete, delete parts of, redact, make cuts in, blue-pencil, unpublish; 
      examine, inspect; 
      edit, make changes to; 
      make acceptable, expurgate, bowdlerize, sanitize;
      informal clean up
      "letters home from the front line were censored"

This post was edited by inky at December 19, 2018 6:21 AM MST
      December 17, 2018 4:54 PM MST

Yes but Sharon's observation is that the way we adjust to one another may be considered censorship as well. 
      December 19, 2018 6:23 AM MST

Yeah, I understand that that's what she means,
    but that's not what the word censorship means.
    She's referring to how we judge people, their behaviour and actions, and how we treat others as a result of our emotional reactions. That is not censorship by any definition. 
      December 19, 2018 3:49 PM MST

• Only on here by someone.  Although I didn't swear, someone chose to view my word as a swear word.   In life, not so much.  Growing up in the 60's/70's, my parents were quite liberal with words. 
      December 10, 2018 10:59 AM MST

In one sense of the word, I've been censored twice -- one time in Answerbag and another time here on answerMug. My posts were taken down in both cases.
      December 10, 2018 11:46 AM MST

• "Me?  Never!!"

December 10, 2018 11:56 AM MST

Many people have tried and failed ...Just ask Randy D or Stu Bee.....:) 
      December 10, 2018 12:10 PM MST

Only on social sites like this one.  Comments that a moderator deemed against TOS were removed.  
      December 10, 2018 1:00 PM MST

• Every site I've ever visited. xD
      December 10, 2018 1:37 PM MST

December 10, 2018 1:43 PM MST

• no shet :P
      December 10, 2018 1:46 PM MST

I always enjoy seeing your posts.
    :)
      December 10, 2018 3:00 PM MST

Me?
      December 10, 2018 3:15 PM MST

Both of you.
      December 10, 2018 3:21 PM MST

Hey, got to go to work now -- be well!

December 10, 2018 3:26 PM MST

not that i know of
      December 10, 2018 1:39 PM MST

Yeah. My boss was running a bible study group during lunch time and he invited me to speak. i brought a concordance to show them how to look up a word. He stopped and said they just couldn't put up with people who want to present some unfamiliar book. 

That was when I decided I had put up with that company long enough. I sold my house and headed west, no job lined up or nuthin.

If I hadn't bought that house I would have left six years sooner.
      December 10, 2018 1:48 PM MST

Yes.
      December 10, 2018 3:59 PM MST

Yes.
    I used to write a column called "An Equestrian Question" for a local newsletter.
    It was generally very popular and widely read.
    But in one edition I wrote about horses mating, how they do it naturally, and how the conventional artificial raping practices of big horse studs cause both stallions and mares to become extremely dangerous to each other and to humans. It was a plea for reform in commercial breeding practices.
    Several people, but one in particular, wrote to the newsletter with anger. They said they normally leave the newsletter on the living room coffee table, and that with this issue they couldn't because the article was not fit for children to read.
    When I raised this issue with others, the majority view was that rural children know about the birds and bees from very young because they see it happening in the paddocks around them. They said the protesters were a tiny minority of quite unrealistic prudes and I shouldn't worry about it. This post was edited by inky at December 17, 2018 4:29 PM MST
      December 10, 2018 4:19 PM MST

just on answerbag
    and Fluther 
    spelling?...haha
      December 10, 2018 5:04 PM MST

Yes. Rosie has special dispensation and special protections here on AM, so my interaction with all other members since I joined in 2009 gets by, but with Rosie, that same interaction gets censored by management, along with threats of banishment if I persist. 
      December 16, 2018 5:32 PM MST

I believe there is special case reasoning for the difference in the handling of Rosie.
    If I intuit it correctly, the reasoning is psychologically sound and fair to everyone on aM.
    I believe you probably know the reasons, Randy. This post was edited by inky at December 17, 2018 5:41 PM MST
      December 17, 2018 4:13 PM MST

XYZ the adjectival expletive of an illegal, unprintable and highly improbable obscenity! I delete all over your censored!

I get clobbered now and again. I like to push the boundaries. I've posted a pair of boobies

Even a pair of great tits

A nice ass

And a Dick pic or two

December 16, 2018 6:38 PM MST