Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Music » What's that R.E.M. song that lead singer Michael Stipe and the rest of the band apparently hated and they avoided it at all costs?

What's that R.E.M. song that lead singer Michael Stipe and the rest of the band apparently hated and they avoided it at all costs?

I'm in a piss poor mood - - and I'm somehow disappointed in myself and in my R.E.M. music taste -- I'm a big R.E.M. fan but unlike the band, I like this song a lot.

Posted - December 10, 2018

Responses

Shiny happy people.  I like the song as well back in the day.
      December 10, 2018 7:11 PM MST

Bingo.

I adore the music video, too. And Stipe and everyone in this video -- they're all incredibly, incredibly appealing to me. Adorable! And Fun! And I always like Kate Pierson of the B-52's singing with them.

Thanks, easyjolene. Somehow it made me feel better that someone answered so quickly and correctly.
    :)

(Obviously, I already knew the answer.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 10, 2018 7:29 PM MST
      December 10, 2018 7:27 PM MST

I really like the video too. I think the reason they didn't like it was because it seemed childish or childlike. I'd like to think I still have a little bit of kid left in me and that's why I like it
      December 10, 2018 7:30 PM MST

Exactly.

I added more to my comment to you, too, after I first posted it, in case you didn't see -- about how adorable everyone is in the video.

Yeah, I've read that, too -- the song struck them as too childlike. But, geez - - look at Stipe here in the video -- is he disappointed that he comes across so delightfully? Does he ALWAYS need to have that artistic angst going on with him? To see this side of him (and the band) -- it makes me like them that much more.
      December 10, 2018 7:38 PM MST

• Ah, I love REM. I just watched their live concert on PBS recently, and I had forgotten how great they were.  
      December 10, 2018 7:39 PM MST

Yeah, i really like them a lot, too.

And to make it even better for my present pissy mood -- of all the albums, my favorite one is the one that the critics, the fans and the band itself have called their "worst."

"Around the Sun"

And my favorite R.E.M. song is from that supposedly wretched album -- "I Wanted To Be Wrong." If you haven't heard it and have the time, maybe give it a listen. I find it gorgeous.

December 10, 2018 7:51 PM MST

• Haven't heard this one in ages.   Sorry you are in a pissy mood. I hope it gets better soon. 
      December 10, 2018 8:01 PM MST

Thanks, lavender. Yeah, I'm OK. I know This Too Shall Pass.

Just pretty disappointed in myself today and this evening.
      December 10, 2018 8:05 PM MST

I guess he was feeling like he was made to do something he didn't want to do. What he and the band need to focus on is what they've given to their fans. I love the way he looks and btw, anything by the B-52's I LOVE!
      December 10, 2018 7:43 PM MST

Did they write the song? I guess I never thought of that -- maybe it's not one of their compositions. I always assumed they wrote all of their stuff.

I like the B-52's, too!

(Yeah, I've always found Stipe pretty hot. But, like most of my friends kid me -- if a person is a guy, I find him hot.)
      December 10, 2018 7:54 PM MST

I'm not sure if they wrote it. That could be the reason. Maybe they had to do the song and it caused strife. And, if a man is hot, well he just is!
      December 10, 2018 8:01 PM MST

Ha!
      December 10, 2018 8:05 PM MST

I just looked it up -- they wrote the song. All four members of the band are given the song writing credit.
      December 10, 2018 8:07 PM MST

never heard of it
      December 11, 2018 3:29 PM MST

I order you to listen.
    Now.

;)

(The song is under easyjolene's answer, "Shiny Happy People," if you feel like listening.)
      January 2, 2019 8:36 PM MST