Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Language » In your opinion, what's the difference between ethics, morals, and values, if any?

In your opinion, what's the difference between ethics, morals, and values, if any?

Posted - December 11, 2018

Responses

You're on your own---lol
      December 11, 2018 9:38 AM MST

not nnuch
      December 11, 2018 3:25 PM MST

Ethics are a code to live by, now one could also argue no diff between that morals and values...I would posit that ethics are more in relation to Civic responsibility, typically more generic in nature than the 'tothers. The particular culture or local customs might define or even codify such expectations of it's members into law. Morals however, I feel to be more akin to personal choices in conduct whether in a private or public sphere. Values on the surface and though (which are about as NON "specific" as the others) are a vague term I think...Note that we often now qualify the realm of such in our description...as in "Family Values" or "societal" values we might "value" life-but still adhere to a pro-choice and call it a either moral or ethicsl question...They all have there place in writing, I think but generally I suppose we tend to use them how and wherever we feel they better justify our particular stance on a topic really. Right ir wrong IIthink they have become merely adjectives!!!

Again, prolly not much but I did not consult Webster either, which would prolly be a good idea for clarifying..
      December 11, 2018 3:48 PM MST

Webster:

Value(s) in this context is the attribute or quality that makes it desirable or useful...excellence, usefulness or importance.

Morals are generally principals or conduct with respect to right or wrong. according to ???!!

Ethics are the set of rules that culture or group lives by

So, Ethics and Morals are basically somewhat interchangeable though Ethics are usually more localized; Values are the qualities, essence or components which make something important, useful or excellent
      December 11, 2018 4:57 PM MST