Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If your surroundings affect you a great deal how long does it last? Can you block out your surroundings whenever you wish? How?

If your surroundings affect you a great deal how long does it last? Can you block out your surroundings whenever you wish? How?

Posted - December 12, 2018

Responses

It can last anywhere from a few hours to as long as several days.  I'm still working on blocking them

Between being an empath and being very sensitive, my surroundings impact me a great deal.  It's even gone as far as having a negative impact on my health.  Learning how to block things around me has been very challenging.  Although I'm now able to block some stimuli, I'm still having problems blocking out all empathic "vibes" (other people's feelings).  I was taught in therapy to block my surroundings by "building a wall" (in normal people's words that means shifting my focus from being open to being closed.
      December 12, 2018 4:30 PM MST

Goodness gracious me Shuhak. We have another thing in common. I am not an empath I don't think but I can walk into a room and feel embraced or repelled. I can't stay in such a place if the hostile "vibes" (for lack of a better descriptor) are there. People give off very strong vibes. Some are comforting and calming and others are belligerent combative hostile. I don't do well with hostile so I get out as soon as I can. It is a very strong aversion or attraction. I have always been that way. Some folks are just hugely humongously  unpleasant to be around. Maybe it is what I bring out in them. I don't know. I just know that I cannot deal with them on any level for any reason at any time so I don't. It's like that here as it was on Answerbag. I avoid hostile belligerent antagonistic everyman and everywoman AT ALL COSTS. I don't have the "right stuff" to deal with it. I know my limitations very well and I try to abide by them and stay within them and remain cognizant of them. Thank you for your thoughtful reply m'dear. I think being an empath is a very difficult path to walk. You pick up on everyone's miseries and sadness. Their joys too but maybe there aren't so many joys these days. If you are able to control what gets through to you then that's great. Survival means defending yourself from harmful things as best you can. :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 13, 2018 9:40 AM MST
      December 13, 2018 4:00 AM MST