Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Education » When you were taking piano lessons did your teacher smoosh your hand down on the keys indicating your not a good piano player?

When you were taking piano lessons did your teacher smoosh your hand down on the keys indicating your not a good piano player?

But still I got I off two recitals. Fur Elise and Tarantella! Everybody clapped big for both but for one black guy who was shaking his head as I walked out the door. Too mechanical I think.

Posted - December 13, 2018

Responses

(your not you're not)
      December 13, 2018 5:13 AM MST

never took piano lessons
      December 13, 2018 10:41 AM MST

I'll just say ... as one who took piano lessons and played recitals ... clapping doesn't mean anything, at student recitals, as far as talent.
    It only means the people are parents, and feel they have to clap for every kid - so the rest of the audience claps for their kid(s).
      December 13, 2018 1:13 PM MST

A wanted piano lessons, but I never got any. My brother got violin lessons and I was really hurt that I didn't. I wanted to learn guitar in high school but the school only offered band and string classes. I took both, but there were no lessons. Just get in a soundproof room and do what you can. All of high school was supervised play, and the supervision was mostly inept.
      December 13, 2018 5:37 PM MST