Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » When was the last time you had a professional massage?

When was the last time you had a professional massage?

Posted - December 13, 2018

Responses

WHAAATT???

I don't DO that kind of massage ever. That is not my field of expertise.    GOD NO.

I am a professional, not a PRO.
      December 15, 2018 11:14 AM MST

?
      December 17, 2018 4:47 AM MST

I haven't ever had one and I think if I could just get over my personal space issues it would be very helpful.
      December 14, 2018 5:18 AM MST

I know, right?

~
      December 14, 2018 6:00 AM MST

In your case, my personal space requirement is 1000 feet. Legally.
      December 14, 2018 8:17 AM MST

Grrrrrrr. I'm sure that when you went to court you really played the drama card to the hilt.

~
      December 14, 2018 9:48 PM MST

Believe it or not, I do understand that.  I hate to be touched.  It takes a lot for me to lie down and let someone take over like that.
      December 15, 2018 11:14 AM MST

never
      December 14, 2018 10:42 AM MST

About a month ago in Singapore, as in a real massage.  Now there are Professionals under the guise of massage artists in other place.  However they only massage one part of your body
      December 14, 2018 12:28 PM MST

Yes. I am aware.  I have had "clients" come to me and act like this was one of those places.  It is SO obvious it is NOT a place like that.  This is a chain franchise and there is no hanky panky ever on either the part of the client or the therapist.

People who act like that are watering down the industry.  I never tolerate anyone acting inappropriately.
      December 15, 2018 11:16 AM MST

About a year ago.
    Can't afford them now.
    Husband used to be a professional masseur until he got tenosynovitis and arthritis.
      December 14, 2018 5:01 PM MST

So sorry.  That is the case for many therapists.  Either they have a poor diet which causes such things or they have very bad body mechanics.  Most therapists only last less than a decade.

This doesn't mean that your husband has a poor diet, but I happen to know that there are plenty of reasons for arthritis and poor diet is up at the top.

Unless he is eating a totally clean, raw and organic diet, his chances of keeping that malady will continue.
      December 15, 2018 11:18 AM MST

For over forty years, we have always eaten a totally organic (we grow most of our own food) vegetarian home cooked diet, with 50% raw in the form of salads.
    He adds turmeric and numerous other herbal remedies to his food, but it has never made the slightest difference to his arthritis.

His mother suffered early onset arthritis in her mid-thirties - her diet was no different to other Polish Jews - but she did like many others suffer severe malnutrition while living in hiding during the war years. My husband was born just after the war when food shortages were still rife. He suffers from kyphoscoliosis and bent shins - most likely due to lack of calcium while in the womb and during his infancy. I have found no evidence that people who had rickets in childhood suffer higher rates of arthritis in later life - but there is widespread evidence of genetic predisposition. 

Arthritis comes in three forms and the causes vary depending on the form. In my husband's case, mechanical wear on the joints of his thumbs, fingers and wrists is the obvious cause, because those are the only places where arthritis affects him.

I know loads of baby boomers who have arthritis who've tried every alternative and diet remedy possible. The only ones who have found diet made a difference are those with celiac's disease (rare) and those who have a gluten sensitivity. For the later, giving up all cereals except rice, which has no gluten, has made a huge difference; their arthritis has been arrested.

It's worth remembering that arthritis was just as common in the days before modern agriculture, that is, the days when all food was organically produced. We know this from paleontology.

I agree that diet plays a role. Recent science shows that a healthy gut biome plays a big role in supporting a balanced immune system, and that one of the best ways to maintain a healthy gut is to eat as wide a variety of vegetables, the less sweet fruits (temperate climate are healthier than tropical), fermented foods and pickles as possible, and to have one day per week of fasting. Modern diets usually contain a much smaller number of foods than ancient and hunter-gatherer diets did.

The national association of masseurs has acknowledged that arthritis is an occupational hazard affecting all full-time Swedish, Bowen and sports masseurs after they've been at it for more than fifteen years. Masseurs who use the Kahuna or Shiatsu styles are not affected. This post was edited by inky at December 16, 2018 12:40 AM MST
      December 15, 2018 4:39 PM MST

• I thought you'd never offer!  I just knew you have a thing for me. :P
      December 14, 2018 5:49 PM MST

never have
    probably never will
      December 15, 2018 9:25 AM MST

• Have only had head neck and shoulders done.  Would not be able to be naked under a sheet while some stranger touched and looked at my body ....eww!!
      December 15, 2018 12:14 PM MST

That's why you and I are both glad that we're getting to know each other better every day. No longer strangers . . . 
    ~
      December 15, 2018 3:48 PM MST

About 6 years.  I went more regularly when I was working.

Certified Massage Therapists are excellent---I had one for a long time that I swear could have crushed rocks with her bare hands.
      December 15, 2018 12:44 PM MST

Never. 
    The closest I have come is physical therapy on my neck after a car wreck. The first session, I wanted to punch him. It felt like he was trying to literally rip my head off. But by the time I was done, he did the same motions with my neck and it felt fine. 
      December 15, 2018 4:58 PM MST