Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Self-respect/pride. Are they the same or different? If different how and do you claim ownership of both?

Self-respect/pride. Are they the same or different? If different how and do you claim ownership of both?

Posted - December 14, 2018

Responses

I tried to come up with a way of explaining it ... but found this article, which does a better job of explaining how I think of them than I could.  Though I don't agree with the thought that pride is bad no matter what.

https://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-pride-and-self-esteem/
      December 14, 2018 9:05 AM MST

I think having pride IN OTHERS is fine But "pride goeth before a fall". Some folks are so full of themselves when all they are full of is hot air. Thank you for your reply and the link Walt.
      December 14, 2018 11:11 AM MST

I think "self respect/esteem" is an internal thing ... and "pride" is linked to external results.
    EG: I can take pride in my work (external results).
    But even if I am incapable of creating great work, that shouldn't reduce my internal sense of self.
      December 14, 2018 11:18 AM MST

Semantics at work here m'dear. I am not a fan of being proud or prideful about anything I do say think accomplish achieve. I am VERY PROUD of my son. I am VERY PROUD of friends and family for their character talent successes achievements and how they live their lives. Just a matter of how we perceive these words. I"m sure you're not a stuck up arrogant self-serving narcissist like the don. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      December 14, 2018 11:24 AM MST