Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » Do you take great pride in your grammar?

Do you take great pride in your grammar?

I thought I did, too, until I went over my answers a few minutes ago and was/am astounded at all the mistakes, OBVIOUS mistakes that must make me appear quite the blinkard. 

Posted - December 15, 2018

Responses

it all works... haha
      December 15, 2018 12:16 PM MST

Don't wierd out on me but I thought of you last night after the Nutcracker.
    I know.  We could get a bazillion miles out of that sentence alone...
    But, in all sincerity,
    I was trying to write a meaningful thank you and note to mom and a different thank you note to my dad, even though, they have always been thanked as one.
    I just thought this certain occasion was important enough for them to be thanked separately.

I couldn't, for the life of me, come up with a poetic and nicely personal way to do it....without a bazillion words.
    I wish I had your elegance and talent.
    Love, Merlin
      December 15, 2018 5:58 PM MST

wierd weird
      December 16, 2018 6:41 PM MST

In the same way that I take pride in my ability to drive a car---it's an essential skill to have at this time in my life. This post was edited by tom jackson at December 19, 2018 4:25 PM MST
      December 15, 2018 12:39 PM MST

• "No and neither do the Grammar Police."

December 15, 2018 12:49 PM MST

I resemble that remark!
      December 16, 2018 6:43 PM MST

• You have my symphony.
      December 16, 2018 10:40 PM MST

Most of the time it's a matter of a typo than it is that I don't know proper grammar.  
      December 15, 2018 1:19 PM MST

i try but the letter nn is broken on nny keyboard
      December 15, 2018 2:11 PM MST

lol No. I write for a living and my grammar stinks. When I create something for work, I run it through grammar checkers and visually proof it. Here... not so much. I think as long as people can understand what I'm trying to say and I can understand them, it's good enough. 
      December 15, 2018 2:40 PM MST

• Good for you!  At least "THEY" haven't broken your spirit yet.
      December 15, 2018 2:56 PM MST

Yes....it's no easy matter though ,making my mistake look authentic ...:( 
      December 15, 2018 3:11 PM MST

I hardly knew them, both passed away before my third birthday.
      December 15, 2018 5:32 PM MST

I don't fret much about misteaks I maek hear on anzermug.  I hait it thow wen eye make mistake on important letters.  but when I proof read them, I know what they are supposed to say to I tend to see what I'm expecting to see.  Not everyone does that I know.  Maybe it'' s just ewe and me.  Still I always inderstand you and that's what really counts.  Beeing guiltee myself, I cannot falt others.
      December 15, 2018 7:53 PM MST

Whenever I think of grammar, I think of my Grammie.  They go hand-in-hand.  She was a stickler on written and verbal communication.
    For that, I am thankful and grateful.  I do believe I present myself better because of her strict rules.  Of course, in my rebellion and personal style, I don't always follow suit.
    Sometimes I cringe at how badly I mutilate a simple concept and other times I stick my tongue out and say, "It's my style, so there!"
    I do, however, try to stick to the rules out of respect to her and the English language.  I am sure it reflects who you are and how you present yourself to others.  To me, that is important. :) :)

December 15, 2018 8:16 PM MST

I thought I did. Then, I joined this site and became unsure of my use of the English language. I get "it" though and appreciate the education. Albeit, it makes you feel like you did in the fourth grade and your teacher corrected you in front of the class. :/
      December 15, 2018 8:18 PM MST

Grammar's ok but the fingers don't work right any more. After I type I have to check every letter.
      December 15, 2018 9:24 PM MST

I know my language.  Only upon participating in sites like this did I learn how ignorant so many people are.....Americans who have free school for 13 years of life.   No excuse.
      December 15, 2018 11:09 PM MST

knot much,why due U ax ¿
      December 16, 2018 6:56 AM MST

• I refer you to kjames' answer.
      December 17, 2018 8:49 AM MST

If I'm writing an important letter then yes, if not then I'm not going to make a song and dance about it.  I am tired most of the time, I suffer pain and life's too short.  Most people are perfectly legible on here despite mistakes, and I think it extremely rude when someone has taken the time to give a fantastic answer, only for its content to be overlooked by someone only answering to correct grammar, personally I find it socially disrespectful and unnecessary.  There are more important things in life, some people I know missed schooling and are perfectly good human beings, salt of the earth type with a lot of knowledge and know-how.  My partner isn't that great at writing or reading, but practically his work is absolutely remarkable, he could create something out of nothing, build a car, and fix a problem. So is grammar a sign of intelligence? Well, there's many forms of intelligence, no point being able to write a verse but not having an ounce of common sense or practicality.  I think to get along in life it takes a little effort to ascertain what is really important at any given moment, and a copious amount of humility.

Interestingly, there was a time when the elite spoke French and wrote in Latin, as English was considered the language of peasants. No matter how high we might like to think we are, we are still considered the "vulgar masses, the mob." Our law is still written in Latin for which only a lawyer or solicitor can interpret, and so keeping us in the dark. This post was edited by kjames at December 19, 2018 10:18 PM MST
      December 16, 2018 6:14 PM MST

• Couldn't have said it any better.  :)
      December 17, 2018 8:47 AM MST

Never really thought about that.  I guess as far as I know I am able to use it yes.  But for me is mostly a matter of being better able to communicate. 
      December 17, 2018 5:04 AM MST

Grammar is one of the proudest thing I'm of!
      December 17, 2018 12:47 PM MST