Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you think it's wrong and inappropriate to mock/make fun of people who are intellectually impaired?

Do you think it's wrong and inappropriate to mock/make fun of people who are intellectually impaired?

Most people agree that it is wrong to make fun of people who are "retarded", yet many people who place high value on intelligence take aim at those who are or appear to be lacking it. 

I am genuinely curious about how people determine who is fair game, when it comes to this sort of bullying/ridiculing. 

Posted - December 16, 2018

Responses

I think that in general it's wrong and inappropriate to mock/make fun of any people, regardless of whether or not they are intellectually impaired.  It also depends on the definitions of mockery and making fun of someone. There are instances in which people joke around, sometimes with the knowledge and/or consent of the subject, sometimes not,  sometimes in acceptable ways and sometimes not. For instance, many people on this website joke about me and tildes. It's lighthearted fun, I initiated it almost a decade ago, and no one is harmed by it. On the other hand, people joke about my obsession with proper grammar, some do it in a way to intentionally ridicule me, even to the point of accusing me to be intellectually impaired. Of course, I do not for a moment believe that falls into your use of the term intellectually impaired; you're talking about people who actually have such limitations. My point is that there's a difference between mutual joking and cruel ridicule. 

(No grammar or tildes were harmed in the production of this post, and all sandwiches made for Randy D should be wrapped, marked and stored neatly within his reach. Thank you.)
    ~
      December 16, 2018 10:03 AM MST

I'll never understand the tilde thing, but I've accepted that. It's obviously an inside joke among AM/AB old-timers, and I can't imagine that it was ever an object of genuine ridicule. 

The grammar thing is a different matter. I do think that it's likely that some people do feel ridiculed or 'less than' when their speech or writing is overly scrutinized, particularly if they do lack the intellectual capacity to speak or write correctly. I have seen instances on this site where, in my opinion, this has happened. 

I'm glad you replied, and I feel like there's more I'd like to discuss privately. Not because I want to lecture you, but because of my own preconceptions and biases when it comes to intelligence and grammar. 

December 16, 2018 10:34 AM MST

Isn't it either-or and neither-nor?---lol
      December 16, 2018 3:28 PM MST

Where did I write that?
    --
      December 16, 2018 5:03 PM MST

Very good answer.  +5. 
      December 17, 2018 6:05 AM MST

Thank you, officegirl. 

:)
      December 17, 2018 6:12 AM MST

Isn't it strange that we have to even think about it?

OF COURSE.  To me, those that do, are announcing their own mental impairment.

Now if you are talking about Donald Trump?  GUILTY AS CHARGED.  He is the type of critter that causes cancer.  The cancer he has caused in me is my acceptance of his renting space in my head.

I should ignore it.  I have a lot of work to do on that project.  Trump is the character in the Bob Dylan song Masters of War personified.  

Masters of War

Come you masters of war
    You that build all the guns
    You that build the death planes
    You that build all the bombs
    You that hide behind walls
    You that hide behind desks
    I just want you to know
    I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
    But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    Like it's your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand
    And you hide from my eyes
    And you turn and run farther
    When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    But I see through your eyes
    And I see through your brain
    Like I see through the water
    That runs down my drain

You fasten all the triggers
    For the others to fire
    Then you set back and watch
    When the death count gets higher
    You hide in your mansion'
    As young people's blood
    Flows out of their bodies
    And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    You might say that I'm young
    You might say I'm unlearned
    But there's one thing I know
    Though I'm younger than you
    That even Jesus would never
    Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death'll come soon
    I will follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch while you're lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I'll stand over your grave
    'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Songwriters: BOB DYLAN
    © AUDIAM, INC
    For non-commercial use only.
    Data from: LyricFind

\
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 17, 2018 7:25 PM MST
      December 16, 2018 10:21 AM MST

I really like Dylan and I  have a Dylan song that I hope one day will relate to Donald Trump. I figure after Trump is removed from  office his business empire will crumble and he will be penniless. Then when he is scrounging for his next meal I hope to be there so I can sing Like A Rolling Stone to him. Cheers!
      December 16, 2018 11:12 AM MST

He will never be penniless. But he is totally bankrupt in all things that are truly valuable and matter.  

Fake friends, fake wife, fake food and a real hell to live in.  
      December 16, 2018 11:13 AM MST

I don't know about the he will never be penniless part. If he is removed from office his new name will be Mud and not many people will want anything to do with any business of his and they will all start loosing money. Also if he is removed from office he will probably have a million law suits waiting for him. Anyway if he doesn't become penniless I have a back up song I'd like to sing to him - Mexican Radio by Wall Of Voodoo. Cheers! 
      December 16, 2018 11:36 AM MST

If so then why is he having such a good time? 
      December 17, 2018 6:13 AM MST

Wouldn't it be nice if you could respond to a post that has absolutely nothing to do with Donald Trump without introducing your love for him into it?  Listen, we get it; you're obsessed with him, you adore him, you want to have his love child, you chair his re-election committed, fine. Do the rest of us have to be privy to your fan club idolization of him?  Give it a rest and restrict your mushy gushing for him to the closed-door moments you two have together, please!  Grr. 
    ~
      December 16, 2018 11:16 AM MST

We might well say the same to you about your obsession with tildes and sandwiches.  
      December 16, 2018 12:36 PM MST

December 16, 2018 5:04 PM MST

OK but his obsession with tildes and sandwiches is not in any way hurtful.  Nor disrespectful. 
      December 17, 2018 7:28 AM MST

It isn't his speaking of tildes and sandwiches that is disrespectful, it's his calling out the preferred topic of another poster when he seems to have an obsession of his own.  People may post what they want so long as it's within the terms of use here, and you are free to go past anything you don't want to read.
      December 17, 2018 7:55 AM MST

Yes people may use their freedom to publicly express hatred, to excoriate and call out others, to take pot shots at anyone they don't happen to like or agree with.   But, though allowed, just how responsible or respectful is that?  I don't care for Randy's having to try and "correct" anyone's grammar but neither do I find that hurtful or objectionable in the same way that labeling some or any of us  "racists" or "sexists" or "sheep" or "stupid" etc. is.  Is the game that the person who posts the most outrageous stuff or the most extreme rhetoric somehow "wins"?  
      December 17, 2018 8:17 AM MST

I think it's only hurtful and objectionable to those who might not be intellectually or developmentally capable of using proper grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, etc. 

I once made a joke about a member here who has an obsession/fetish with a certain common household item that is used to hold refuse, and I was sent a (deserved) warning about it violating the terms of service. I certainly think that the same consideration should be given to people who struggle with a learning disability or are intellectually impaired, don't you agree?

If a member has called YOU any of those terms, I'm certain that they'd be warned about being abusive to other members. If the term is used generally or about a public figure who you happen to admire and you take personal offense, perhaps you should think about that. 

I'll give you an example. Both on the internet and in real life, I've encountered many negative comments about my personal, conscious, and conscientious  choice to not eat animals, despite not being one to lecture others about their dietary choices. People have said everything from "you're stupid" to "that's against God and the bible". It doesn't bother me a single bit, because I'm okay with my choice and beliefs, and I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. 

If you're secure in what and who you believe in, you won't be offended if someone else thinks that it (or he/her/you) is racist, sexist, stupid or sheep-like.  

December 19, 2018 5:35 PM MST

Yes I agree mostly but I just think its not polite to mock and make fun of which is not conducive to smooth and effective communication or social interaction.  

So-called "correct" grammar is not all that difficult and I think very few people are incapable of learning it.  Most people rather just do not care about it or hold as being as important as a few may deem it to be.  And people in general do not care to be corrected or criticized.  Regardless of intellectual capability.  Which they find invasive, similar to having their personal space invaded. 

I too am a vegetarian which many people do consider exclusive or pretentious  Or somehow getting away with something or not following the 'rules".  But a lot of people resent that just out of jealousy because they know they would not be capable of that level of discipline.  Although I will, on occasion, eat animal or dairy food, fish or seafood.  Which some think not proper if I am a self-declared "vegetarian".  To which I respond well that an area which has 98% trees is still a forest .
      December 20, 2018 5:08 AM MST

committee...wait... committed works, too.
      December 16, 2018 12:41 PM MST

You're right that either one works, but it should have been "committee". 
    ~
      December 16, 2018 5:05 PM MST

I think it's interesting how forgiving we are to those we love/admire/agree with, yet many of us are quick to judge those who we dislike/disagree with. I'm speaking about myself as much as anyone else. 

You're 100% right about this song and the Dumpster-in-Chief. I try very hard to have compassion for Trump, to think of him as a child who was taught all the wrong values. It's an incredibly difficult task to master. 
      December 16, 2018 10:50 AM MST

It is the ultimate test of staying detached for me.  I can only do it when I ignore the whole state of affairs.  It's hard.  
      December 16, 2018 11:15 AM MST

I understand. It's very hard to stay detached and to avoid it. His stench permeates the world. 

I recommend spending time in nature, away from all forms of technology and media and other humans. If you can keep from thinking about the harm he's doing the planet and how he'd like to pave every paradise to put up parking lots, it is really helpful. :)
      December 16, 2018 9:03 PM MST