Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Have you ever had to adapt to a totally different climate when moving to a new locale? Arizona makes 50 degrees seem like below zero.

Have you ever had to adapt to a totally different climate when moving to a new locale? Arizona makes 50 degrees seem like below zero.

I came from Chicago.  I didn't even bother to wear a coat most times when it was 50 degrees.

Now it feels like sub-zero temps after enduring summer after very long summer of triple digits.

For shame.  

Posted - December 18, 2018

Responses

I moved around a lot in the Navy. The transition from the naval base in North Chicago to Guam was awful, as was the move from Guam to Bremerton, WA, then from there to Charleston SC.
      December 18, 2018 7:15 AM MST

You either have to have a great immune system and a great constitution or suffer the blowing of the nose constantly.  

December 18, 2018 8:27 AM MST

Very good immune system. I forgot one. Charleston back up to Great Lakes.
      December 18, 2018 8:36 AM MST

Thanks very much for your memories.
      December 18, 2018 8:39 AM MST

December 18, 2018 8:40 AM MST

(totally completely)

I was born and raised in the American Midwest. At age 18, I joined the Marine Corps, reported to San Diego, California for boot camp, was stationed at Camp Pendleton, California and Tustin, California after that, and a few months later, transferred to Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii for the next five years. While stationed in Hawaii, I alternated between eight months at Kaneohe Bay and six months aboard ship on three separate Western Pacific Deployments, sailing to overseas ports such as Australia, Diego Garcia, Hong Kong, Iwo Jima, mainland Japan, Okinawa, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, etc.  That just sums up the first six years of a long military career. 

After so many years in sunny Southern California, Hawaii, and those foreign countries, I became so spoiled when it comes to weather that by choice I've vowed to never live in a snowy locale again, which is why I've lived in Southern California ever since (over 25 years). Like you, when it gets California cold here, I get cold just like native Californians do. 
    ~
      December 18, 2018 7:49 AM MST

Shove that stick up further.  COMPLETELY.

As for everything else you said?  What an amazing career you have had to take you to such wonderful, exotic and far-away places.

SO COOL.   Why then, are you so sheltered in your mind?   Did you ever leave the ship?

December 18, 2018 8:30 AM MST

You and I traveled some very similar territory.  Too funny by half
      December 18, 2018 9:38 AM MST

"Shiver Me Timbers!!!"

I feel ya!  I hear ya! And I Totally agree!!!! 
      December 18, 2018 11:32 AM MST

Phoenix makes you readapt every winter. One year might be 20 degrees and the next 50. In 1993 it didn't get cold enough to kill the spores in the grass, so there were a lot of infections the following spring.
      December 18, 2018 9:29 AM MST

Whatever. I have not had the flu in decades.  Allergies do not plague me.  But you are right.  It really messes with the body's ability to keep warm.

Fer sure.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 18, 2018 3:01 PM MST
      December 18, 2018 9:40 AM MST

Let me tell you a story about a man named Nanoose a poor Manitoba man barley kept his family fed then one day he was shooting at some food and out of his gun came a icicle or 2.  His wife said Boom move away from there so they packed up the truck and moved to BC - the big island that is - tidal pools, tropical breeze. --- The difference in weather between Manitoba and Central Vancouver Island is like night and day. Cheers and happy 6 more sleeps till Christmas!
      December 18, 2018 10:16 AM MST

You are like vitamin happy for me.

Love you.

Cheers!  

I met a lady on my massage table that was friends with Ellie May, from Beverly Hillbillies.  She sounds like the nicest person ever born.  (like you)
      December 18, 2018 12:27 PM MST

kind of, inn in a warnner part of colorado and it dont snow nnuch here connpared to ny
      December 18, 2018 10:26 AM MST

I know Colorado gets cold, but not like the East coast where it is windy and freezing.
      December 18, 2018 12:28 PM MST

I'm with Randy on this one.  I would like to say, nice pictures, by the way! :) :)
      December 18, 2018 11:35 AM MST

As long as it is not siding with Donald Trump, that is just fine. 
      December 18, 2018 12:25 PM MST

December 18, 2018 2:15 PM MST

Exactly. I was just saying this to my kids last week. We jumped in the car to go to school one morning. It wasn't even cold enough to see my breath, but I got in the car shivering, cranked up the heat, and said to my kids, "This is why I will never live anywhere other than Phoenix."  And, my son piped up from the back seat, "What about that mansion we lived in for a little while?" He was referring to an Airbnb we stayed in for three days a summer ago... I want to say it was in Covina... some offshoot of LA anyway. Yeah, I could handle that too. Also, it wasn't a mansion, but my kids were convinced it was because it had two floors. 

But, yeah... no... as a Wisconsinite who knows what "cold" really is, I might as well be a native Arizonan at this point.
      December 18, 2018 2:42 PM MST

Exactly.  Chicago is below zero for weeks and weeks and I lived there for 40 plus years.  Now I am a complete wimp with the cold weather.

December 18, 2018 8:48 PM MST

• Born in Connecticut, moved to Tucson, AZ. and years later to San Diego, CA.  From cold weather to hot weather to no weather, but I was young then, so it was easy.

Since then, riding a motorcycle year-round, for decades, has given me the ability to handle weather changes quite well.  Also, driving professionally OTR for years has helped, I'm sure. For example:  I'm delivering a load of meat to a warehouse in the Deep South (hot outside) and I go onto the dock, where it's about 20 degrees and I'm wearing a t-shirt and blue jeans.  Another driver approaches me and asks, "Where the h*ll are you from ... Alaska?!"
      December 18, 2018 2:45 PM MST

I never get sick? But if I had to do your life?  I would have pneumonia for certain.   

I have no resistance to cold any longer.  
      December 18, 2018 8:50 PM MST

Yuma, AZ
    Thermal, CA
    Indio, CA

In the summer those three take turns being the hottest city in the nation. I live outside Yuma. Any air temp below 80 feels cool, and below 70 you need shelter. The reason it feels so cold is because there is little or no humidity in the air to reflect heat back at you. Body heat radiates into the north sky and doesn't come back. Yes, you can die of exposure at 70 degrees.
      December 18, 2018 4:38 PM MST

WOW 

That is amazing. I never even heard of that.  Stay warm.  (not too warm)

December 18, 2018 4:41 PM MST