Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Music » Is there a genre of music which you, in general, do not enjoy but there is literally just one person in that genre whom you DO really like?

Is there a genre of music which you, in general, do not enjoy but there is literally just one person in that genre whom you DO really like?

The Country Music genre for me

But I truly ADORE Dwight Yoakam's music. I cannot pinpoint my reasons. I simply enjoy. Yeah, it helps that (no surprise) I find him hot, ha!

Here's one of the very best 'modern' Christmas songs for me -- his "Come On Christmas"

Posted - December 19, 2018

Responses

I like Enya a lot, too.
    :)
      December 19, 2018 7:49 PM MST

I actually also thought, just now, about Patsy Cline. She's country, too, and I love her voice.
      December 19, 2018 8:12 PM MST

There are more than one, that I love, but in general, I cannot stand country.

I hate Rap and Hip Hop but there are a few stars in that genre that I love.

I hate heavy metal, but there are a few that are extraordinary.

So, a good artist transcends the genre.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 20, 2018 10:16 AM MST
      December 19, 2018 12:59 PM MST

You make great points!
      December 19, 2018 7:49 PM MST

I don't think I like her voice stylings, though, nor the song. I'm sorry!
      December 19, 2018 8:16 PM MST

not really
      December 19, 2018 1:28 PM MST

OK
      December 19, 2018 7:50 PM MST

• Mr. Skinny Jeans himself! xD
      December 19, 2018 3:50 PM MST

Yes!
     Ha!
    And he wears them well.
      December 19, 2018 7:50 PM MST

I appreciate all music but if I had to like one style the least, it would be Rap.  For that reason, I know very little about it.  There is an exception to the rule.  I liked and still like some songs by Tone-Loc. 
    His song "Wild Thing," always makes me laugh!  It is also the only rap song I know most of the words to!!
    Unfortunately, I think he was killed by another rapper.  Biggie Mr. Big or something like that?  I really don't know enough about the whole scene to be sure but I hope he's still around.

December 19, 2018 11:00 PM MST

I don't know a lot about rap music, either. I possibly could like more of it if I exposed myself to it more. Some of Eminem's music I've sort of liked. I'll have to look up some Tone-Loc. -- Wait --  "Wild Thing"!! I think I know what you're talking about! I never paid attention to the artist who did that song! I love that song! Its humor is great, yes!
      December 20, 2018 7:12 AM MST

• Tone Loc was a such a fun hip hop artist. I loved that song and some of the others that he did. I haven't had all of my coffee yet, so I don't recall offhand his other songs.     I love that old school hip hop.    I love old school rap too, though, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Ice Cube of courses, NWA, and Eminem, TuPac - good stuff.   I miss those fun music days.   I can't listen to the current rap or hip hop. 
      December 20, 2018 8:17 AM MST

And that "Funky Cold Medina" song is great, too!

Offhand, I don't know specific songs by the other artists other than Eminem. But I often don't know artists and/or the song titles. For instance, I only found out in the last several years the song's name and artist, both, of a favorite song I've loved since the very first time I heard it. I've always loved it but only found out relatively recently that it was "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin.
      December 20, 2018 8:32 AM MST

• OMG, I love Zeppelin, and Kashmir was my favorite Zep song for so many years.    THEY were my high school LOVE LOVE LOVE band.   Not that you should not watch The Song Remains The Same, but check out  Zep's How The West Was Won video.   GREAT stuff.    I love them so much.
      December 20, 2018 8:36 AM MST

I hope to remember your post here and look it all up! Made me smile greatly! To add more detail to my Led Zeppelin story -- for some reason, a work colleague had lent me her "Best of Led Zeppelin" compilation. And that's when I found out about "Kashmir." That song came on as I was listening and my heart and soul went through the roof! There it was! My huge favorite song! Out of the blue, I now knew its title and group!
    And -- (no surprise, I don't remember the titles now) -- there were at least FOUR other songs I had always really liked and never knew they were by Led Zeppelin. They are a favorite band of mine now. One of those bands I can say that I like everything I've heard from them.
      December 20, 2018 9:04 AM MST

• Ooo nice!    I think you will really enjoy How The West Was Won.   Also, The Song Remains The Same.  Their live performances were top notch.  I remember in high school I had one of their Bootleg albums, and even that sounded good considering.   Achilles Last Stand is another favorite of mine.  Great driving, road trip music:

December 20, 2018 9:11 AM MST

That's IT!!!  That's IT!!  That's the song!!  I just took a wild swing at Wild Thing being the title but it is "Funky Cold Medina!"  
    It goes to show how much I "don't" know!!  Last night I couldn't think of the name which is funny because that it the whole fluke of the song!!
    Thank you Welby and lavender!!
    Now, I'm going to have that song in my head all day but that is o.k.!  Big Winks and Smiles!!!
      December 20, 2018 10:02 AM MST

Hi lavender~ :) :)  I couldn't even get the genre right but YOU are awesome and right!!  Thank you for clearing this up.  Very Cool!!!  See you soon on another! :) :)
    Love the picture!  There is a character I haven't thought of in a while either!!  :) :)  
      December 20, 2018 10:06 AM MST

• Aw, thank you, Merlin!    I loved the character as well.   That was such a fun tv show. 
      December 20, 2018 10:56 AM MST

• Tone Loc is still around. Tupac was the one killed by  probably Shug Knight, at least I think Shug admitted doing it.  Not sure exactly.   Tupac did have that feud with Biggie though... that was crazy. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 20, 2018 10:03 AM MST
      December 20, 2018 8:19 AM MST

Quick before this goes through, your number is 888!  8 is one of my lucky numbers.  That is totally off the subject. Sorry!  I just thought I'd let you know it adds to your "coolness!" 
    Violence and obsene showing of power and money seem to thrive around Rap.  I'm sure that is a generalization and probably not fair; however, most of the songs I've learned the words to stem around, "F8ck the hoe an pop a yo mama in her a88"sort of theme.  I just don't get why that would be something to say or want to sing about.  Obviously, I am out of touch with what people are idolizing these days.  I much perfer James Taylor and Steve Winwood.  I'm a sap. :) :)
      December 20, 2018 10:12 AM MST

• Wow, thank you  lol  :)             I love Steve Winwood, especially his Traffic days.   I like Taylor as well.  He has a fantastic voice. Very smooth and soothing.
    I agree with your comments about Rap.  I don't find their vulgarity and negativity talented in the least.

I just realized what a hypocrite I am.  Here I said that I don't find their vulgarity and negativity talented in the least, however I still like NWA.   Yikes. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 20, 2018 2:17 PM MST
      December 20, 2018 10:55 AM MST