Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Warning sign often seen in various establishments. "YOU BREAK IT YOU BUY IT" or "YOU BREAK IT YOU OWN IT". Do you support it?

Warning sign often seen in various establishments. "YOU BREAK IT YOU BUY IT" or "YOU BREAK IT YOU OWN IT". Do you support it?

Posted - December 22, 2018

Responses

Yes of course.  I don't hold with those who believe they have a "right" to trash the property of others. 
      December 22, 2018 6:12 AM MST

Nor do I. Or that it is the cost of doing business for business owners and they have insurance to cover it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee og.
      December 22, 2018 6:16 AM MST

Most small Mom and Pop stores do not have insurance to cover that type of loss.
      December 22, 2018 6:17 AM MST

Do you support it or not? That is the question I asked. Thank you for your response and Happy Saturday to the m2c.
      December 22, 2018 6:19 AM MST

My answer is below. This was a reply about the store having ins to cover losses.
      December 22, 2018 6:27 AM MST

Yes, I have that sign up in my store. It usually makes parents keep up with their child better. I have never enforced it. But would if needed. 
    Have had some try to buy something they broke accidentally, I have always refused the money. It often makes them buy something else. That is not why I do it though. 
      December 22, 2018 6:16 AM MST

Why do you do it? You enable/facilitate people to damage merchandise and then skate. Why? Thank you for your reply.
      December 22, 2018 6:20 AM MST

You can tell if it was an accident and know if their kid was being a brat. 
    I also make most of my products so I am not out as much as another store who buys their inventory. 

I get lots of repeat customers. Many come to my store as soon as they get in town. Treat people right and they remember.
      December 22, 2018 6:26 AM MST

I think it should apply if someone comes in with a child and they don't watch the child and it breaks something.  Sometimes, it is not a deliberate act on the part of an adult and accidents do happen.  I guess it would depend on the circumstances.  If I broke something inadvertently, I would offer to pay for the item.  The store owner would then have the choice of accepting my money or letting it ride in the hopes that they made a new customer.
      December 22, 2018 8:13 AM MST

• Yes, absolutely.   When one is in other people's 'homes', one should respect their property.  Of course, there are always exceptions and accidents do happen, but not always.  I have seen plenty of unsupervised children running around mishandling items and such.
      December 22, 2018 8:50 AM MST

I think that's ok if the circumstance could have been averted, however accidents do happen, and these signs often puts me off of shopping because I become overly nervous about breaking anything which takes the enjoyment out of looking.
      December 22, 2018 10:25 AM MST

Yes_ the goods are the shop's property until paid for. I prefer the less aggressive version I have seen far more often though, "Breakages Must Be Paid For".

Recently I bought a small lamp from Aldi's or Lidl's. Back home I realised the box had been opened, by some dim-wit unable to understand both the text and the photograph on the box. It had not been immediately obvious, and might have been all right if the twerp had not lost a small but important part packed within the box but separately from the lamp itself - and had left its own plastic bag in the box.

I took the lamp back next day, with the receipt. The cashier was sympathetic and let me change it, but out of fairness I did search the display rack for the missing part - and its two securing screws also lost - first. Of course the numpty responsible had wasted my time and fuel in the process, but numpties like that care nothing for others.

One of the staff members told me that they spend a good hour or more after closing time nearly every day, re-packing and re-displaying items customers have picked over, unfolded or unpacked then flung back in a jumbled mess, or abandoned anywhere around the shop rather than returned properly.
      December 23, 2018 3:43 PM MST

Who broke the USA? Who bought the USSA?
      December 23, 2018 4:00 PM MST