Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you live in a country that is full of immigrants ?

Do you live in a country that is full of immigrants ?

in my country... well especially in our city, immigrants are everywhere... people of colors and all that. it seems our country ( canada ) , is made up by immigrants.

Posted - December 22, 2018

Responses

i think so
      December 22, 2018 12:54 PM MST

Yes, a crazy illegal shot and killed 3 local legals in my home town. 
      December 22, 2018 1:00 PM MST

Sure
    all are
    part of life

December 22, 2018 1:49 PM MST

I live in London and I am a Born and Bred London Boy.
    London is full of illegal entrants.
      December 22, 2018 1:56 PM MST

As is all parts of England...
      December 30, 2018 3:21 AM MST

• "Yes and it may be partly my family's fault."  My family came here in 1635 and immediately wrote back to the Mother Land that if they came here that they wouldn't have to drink tea all the time.  They are stilling coming ... even ask we speak!

December 22, 2018 4:25 PM MST

• Thankfully, yes.
      December 22, 2018 4:48 PM MST

It is. Some of us have been here longer than others.
      December 22, 2018 4:50 PM MST

Everybody in North America is descended from an immgrant. Ninety percent of the natives were killed by an epidemic just before the Puritans arrived. That's why there was no resistance to colonization.

The bible says every place the tribe of Dan went, they named the place after their father Dan. So half the tribe followed a lovely river into eastern Europe. They named the river Donau (we call it Danube) and they founded towns with names beginning with Dn, Don, Dun, and so on. The other half of the tribe went west and landed on southern Ireland where they named the landing spot Donegal Bay and they also founded dozens of towns with names beginning with Dun, Don, and so on. The rest of the tribe continued across the channel and founded a country they named Danmark. So it is quite likely that everybody living in one of those areas is descended from the tribe of Dan.

Royal families: European royal families have always been so randy that anybody with white skin can probably trace ancestry to one or all of them. It is not just a whim that they address each other as "cousin".

Genghis Khan laid so many women that any random stranger has a 1/2% chance of being descended from him.

Now tell me about your problems with "immigrants".
      December 22, 2018 5:46 PM MST

Yes.

28.2% of our resident population was born overseas. They represent all races and cultures from across the globe. Most settle in the major capital cities, but there are also many in the countryside now. 

Migrants have improved our nation in every way possible. Migrants have brought much needed skilled trades with them. They help to offset the falling birthrate and the 25% of the workforce (baby-boomers) now reaching retirement and becoming pensioners. They pay taxes that help balance the national budget.
    They bring with them new foods, music, cultural customs and ways of thinking which make us a more broad-minded, cosmopolitan, interesting and enjoyable country. This post was edited by inky at December 28, 2018 11:11 PM MST
      December 22, 2018 5:51 PM MST

USA.  I go to malls and I would guess 40% of the people there are speaking languages I don't understand.  At times I feel I have become a stranger in my own country.  Such is life. 
      December 22, 2018 7:06 PM MST

Mostly. Even 31/32nds of me (one Aboriginal great-great-great grandmother). The British colonists perpetrated genocide on the native population, and diseases such as smallpox wreaked havoc on the remainder.
      December 22, 2018 7:38 PM MST

Well put.
    It applies to America and Canada too.
    And with other European colonies the same problems around the globe.

December 28, 2018 11:14 PM MST

The English army actually used smallpox as a weapon against the Indian tribes of North America....it wiped out countless thousands of them ...They actually injected Syphilis for a study into poor black land worker and left them infected so as they could infect others for a study that went on for decades.....They were all denied treatment and just left to die in agony...Pres Clinton actually apologized to the surviving families than managed to live through their ordeal...   
    All poweful countries will stop at nothing to rob and steal from the weak ....:(
      December 29, 2018 10:35 AM MST

I wonder if we can poison the White House that way?  I would not lose one night's sleep over it.  Just the higher ups in the top one percent,and GOP, that is.
      December 29, 2018 10:46 AM MST

What a terrible thing to do.....but I do believe in an eye for and eye in certain cases......what's good for the Goose is good for the Gander   too....:( 
      December 29, 2018 10:55 AM MST

Actually the worst disease was introduced by Columbus, and accidentally at that. His ships carried rats - and fleas. The Native Americans had absolutely no resistance, bubonic plague wiped out at least 70% - some estimates put the figure as high as 90%. It's one reason why the Puritans aboard the Mayflower were left mostly alone - there were insufficient "Indians" left to offer more than token resistance.
    By the time Europeans reached Australia, plague was less prevalent. Cook's rats weren't infected. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at December 30, 2018 3:16 AM MST
      December 30, 2018 2:37 AM MST

What terrible things Europeans have done around the globe....either deliberately or accidentally ,mostly all for greed as well.....as individuals we are not allowed anything like our governments seem to like doing...
    Double standards me Tinks  
      December 30, 2018 3:20 AM MST

I wouldn't go as far as to say "full of", but here in Britain we have been experiencing a big immigration surge since about 2001, which has probably affected London the most, but hardly anywhere is untouched by it.

The town I live in is probably about 15% Pakistani, 5% Indian, 5% Black and biracial, maybe 2-3% other people of non-European origin. I'd estimate about 2/3 of people in these groups were born over here and therefore not immigrants in the true sense, but lately there's been a big increase in the number of Africans and especially Eritreans. I don't know how many Poles and other Eastern Europeans there are but it must be several thousand. 

I don't feel that I've been harmed by immigration but I don't feel I've derived a lot of benefit from it either, except from Turkish barber shops. Some would say the cheap carwashes that are springing up everywhere are a benefit, but I suspect most are staffed by undocumented immigrants so I won't use them on principle. As for the Romanian street accordionists and new foreign food aisles in supermarkets and local convenience stores... meh.
      December 29, 2018 3:24 AM MST

Yeah.  Most countries are.  That is why it is a COUNTRY and not some FAMILY ESTATE.  And even most of those had immigrants to do the lower class jobs that the family didn't care to engage in.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 30, 2018 1:08 PM MST
      December 29, 2018 10:42 AM MST

There are a few in Canada but I see it as - Is my Country half full of immigrants or is my Country half empty of immigrants. My friend Hugo is a immigrant from Guatemala sometimes for a hoot we sing the theme song from Fresh Off The Boat part of the Lyrics go a little something like this - you don't know were I come from but I know were I go I'm fresh off the boat. Cheers and Happy New Year!
      December 29, 2018 11:29 AM MST