Discussion » Questions » Fashion » If you have a prescribed dress code (not necessarily a uniform) at work, what aspect of it do you dislike?

If you have a prescribed dress code (not necessarily a uniform) at work, what aspect of it do you dislike?

Posted - December 23, 2018

Responses

When I was teaching, we did not have one, but the students did. Not fair. I adhered to their's. Gotta set the example.
      December 23, 2018 6:45 PM MST

(their's theirs)
      January 1, 2019 2:17 AM MST

Thank you.
      January 1, 2019 8:19 AM MST

When I took English 101 back about 1995 I wrote my essay on how to be a better teacher. One of the points I brought out was that students work harder for a teacher who wears leather shoes with laces and conservative clothing, at least a long sleeved shirt with a tie. The teacher thought that was cute, but the following semester I noticed he was coming to class wearing leather shoes with laces, long sleeved shirt and a tie. Also another teacher asked for a copy of my paper.
      December 23, 2018 6:52 PM MST

I suspect that no college has a class for new teachers. They are all absolutely terrible.
      December 23, 2018 6:53 PM MST

• My teachers at school, both female and the very few males we had, were very particular about their appearance, always well groomed. At college, sad to say, they were quite slovenly. 
      December 23, 2018 7:02 PM MST

I would not like having to wear pleated slacks or three button shirts. Or any shoe that looks like Ronald McDonald shoes.
      December 23, 2018 7:43 PM MST

I worked at a convenience store a long time ago we had to wear a red smock. I did not mind it as it protected my clothes from dirt. 
    When I worked for Kmart, we had to wear a white shirt with black pants and black dress shoes. I did not like any of it. 
      December 23, 2018 8:48 PM MST

• When I worked at the health club, we had to wear these thick, black weird pants that were made of nylon.  It sounded like windshield wipers when we walked.   We also had to wear an ugly white polo shirt, and we were only allowed to wear solid white athletic shoes.  It was hideous, but I loved my job so I learned to deal.
    My last job, Work Comp., we could wear denim as long as it wasn't blue.   We weren't allowed to wear athletic shoes, but I wore my solid black Van's anyway.  
      December 23, 2018 8:52 PM MST

• Being the only female on my company's Board of Directors, my dress code is a saree. Now a saree makes a woman look very elegant, no doubt; but it can prove to be cumbersome if she needs to make brief visits to the washroom four times a day.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 1, 2019 3:11 PM MST
      December 24, 2018 2:29 AM MST

probably that they nnake you wear it
      December 24, 2018 10:45 AM MST

Have not really thought about it for years.  Depending on the day it is either suits or Business Casual. 

Business Casual is a difficult look to master. You spend as much time as a woman if not more on deciding what to wear.  Suits are a lot easier just BDU's/Fatigues in the Corps.  There was a code and you followed it, life was simple
      December 24, 2018 3:01 PM MST

I'm sort of the opposite: I wish they would have a dress code at my job. Many of my co-workers roll out of bed and into their chairs at the office seemingly with little or no difference or deference between the former attire and the latter. To iron their clothing appears to cause hives, and to present themselves in a professional manner is foreign to their way of thinking. The youngest ones, those fresh out of high school and/or college, wouks would be quite happy in flip-flops, shorts and tee-shirts every day if it were allowed. The fact that I'm in Southern California contributes greatly to those perspectives. 
      The lack of a dress code is what I dislike. 

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at January 2, 2019 12:54 PM MST
      January 1, 2019 2:43 AM MST

wouks??
      January 1, 2019 8:21 AM MST

Doh!
      January 2, 2019 6:02 AM MST

I hear you on that.  We have a few millennial's I have had to counsel about what a proper suit is, and what proper business casual is.  One Ivy League  pup did not understand and was shocked when he was sacked this summer. Since he was a prep and an Ivy I thought he would have known better.
      January 2, 2019 12:57 PM MST

Currently? Neat casual I don't have a problem with. I turned up on day one in a suit and tie, it very quickly became clear that I was overdressed and I haven't worn a necktie since.

Last job - dark coloured uniform was mandatory. When it's 107 degrees, that's not comfortable.
      January 1, 2019 8:25 AM MST

I like the line from "Dress For Success" by John Molloy: "Even in California where they hold business meetings in swimming pools, an accountant is still expected to look like an accountant."
      January 1, 2019 2:39 PM MST

black, "old man" swim trunks ... and a floaty for the 10-key.
      January 2, 2019 1:30 PM MST