Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever been falsely blamed when something bad happened?

Have you ever been falsely blamed when something bad happened?

Who hasn't? I'd been working for a company for a couple months with one other guy who was my boss, we finished a job early one day so he said go to his place sit around have coffee before reporting back to the office. He showed me in his tool shed -thousands dollars worth of nice tools. Next day I came to work his tool she'd been broken into tools all gone.I heard couple guys talking "might not have been HIM but he might have told somebody'. I worked that day but was told the company did not need my help anymore. 
What can ya do?

Posted - December 25, 2018

Responses

It's not my place to run the train
    The whistle I can't blow.

It's not my place to say how far
    The train's allowed to go.

It's not my place to shoot off steam
    Nor even clang the bell.

But let the damn thing jump the track
    And see who catches hell.
      December 25, 2018 10:43 PM MST

I am a man..anything bad  that happens is my fault.
      December 25, 2018 11:33 PM MST

Uh.. yes, of course. 
      December 25, 2018 11:50 PM MST

It takes a big maN to admit his miss stakes ....:) ....I just hope you're tall that's all...... Lol
      December 26, 2018 12:06 AM MST

~
      December 29, 2018 4:05 PM MST

Yep.
      December 29, 2018 5:07 PM MST

When I was much younger, one of my immediate supervisors embezzled money from the company. His immediate supervisor knew I had nothing to do with it, but the higher-ups thought I might have. There was a formal investigation by the police and I was cleared, but the stigma stayed. They made work horrible for me and eventually claimed that I quit when I hadn't. 

Another time, when I worked in a dental office, the doctor brought his daughter-in-law on. She was young, hadn't ever worked, and didn't want to work, but I was supposed to train her. She was also pregnant and feeling very sick, so I kind of understood and sympathized with her. She got it into her head that, if she convinced the doctor I was mean to her, he'd let her quit. So, she told him I shredded a bunch of her completed work. He was so mad at me, he wouldn't even talk to me. I had to ask someone else why he was upset. When I found out, I found the documents she claimed I shredded- she had a whole story about how I showed them to her before I did it and told her I was doing it just because I didn't like her... obviously, if I was able to procure the same documents she claimed I destroyed, her story couldn't have been true. I assumed the doctor would realize she was lying. Nope. He then got ticked because I was insinuating she was a liar. She eventually did quit, but it took months for the doctor and I to be ok again. I later heard she had been fibbing to the family about other things, so I think eventually, he realized she had a track record of creating fabrications, but in the thick of it, I'm surprised he didn't fire me because he genuinely believed I'd done it. 
      December 25, 2018 11:49 PM MST

When I got my first ever job in an office ,I messed every task give to me up....I wasn't really falsely blamed.,because every thing I was blamed for was mostly if not all so true......
    I was lucky that who first gave me my job ,I could do no wrong.....We live together now and I still get blamed for nothing.....
    My innocent smile has always worked well for me....:) 
      December 26, 2018 12:18 AM MST

No doubt it does.
      December 26, 2018 8:01 PM MST

I cannot portend that things don't bode well for me in a demure sort of way.....  :)D 
      December 27, 2018 2:40 AM MST

Yup, everyone knows the lowly cashier is to blame for everything apparently. People seem to think I'm some all powerful god that controls everything in and around the store because...I'm the last person they see so obviously I'm the secret mastermind behind everything that goes awry (even if it's their own fault, but they don't want to admit it so they take their anger out on me anyway.) I mean, I'm just a mindless drone, I'm not an actual person with thoughts and feelings so it's okay to treat me like garbage for no reason.
      December 26, 2018 11:15 AM MST

I have seen numerous times what you mention here, Patchouli.
    Do know, that I, for one, have immense respect for jobs like cashiers. I've done it and I failed miserably (was fired within my first two weeks).

You are no "mindless drone" and there is no way your job is "lowly" in my eyes.

Be Well,
    WelbyQuentin
    :)
      December 26, 2018 11:37 AM MST

It just bugs me how people treat me like I'm subhuman just because I'm a retail worker, even though I'm always very friendly and polite while they stand there berating me for no reason. Oh well, I'm not nearly as sensitive as I used to be thanks to all those rude jerks. I used to be such a crybaby but now I can easily keep my composure then just go home to vent about it later.
      December 26, 2018 7:11 PM MST

You know, offhand, I can't think of a specific instance for me.

(Your experience you shared is certainly a pisser.)
      December 26, 2018 11:53 AM MST

Sure.  Of course.  I don't worry.  I just balance it out with the many times I was not caught and deserved to be.
      December 26, 2018 12:02 PM MST

no but thats unfair they did that to you
      December 26, 2018 12:56 PM MST

By my sister, yes.
    Fortunately, I was able to easily prove that her allegations could not be true.

Hasn't happened to me in any other situation.

I think you could have proved that you could not have stolen the tools
    by proving where you were during the hours between leaving his place and returning to work the next day.
    You could also have invited him to your place to see it, look around and meet the people you live with.

It may be that he had other reasons for sacking you, like not having earned enough to pay the wages _ and that he didn't want to admit it, so he lied to create a "justification."
    Just guessing here. His story sounds a bit suss to me. This post was edited by inky at December 26, 2018 8:59 PM MST
      December 26, 2018 5:53 PM MST

I didn't actually get blamed for the theft but the management people thought I might have told someone.. I should relate the whole story. For many years my spare time activity had been going up and down the alleys picking up discarded items that were clean and salable and taking my 'junk' to sell at flea markets. I noticed a 2 car garage one day 'for rent' -good idea for storing stuff and -where I could bring larger items also instead of lugging it home as well as I could have garage sales instead of doing flea markets. I decided to move into the garage and then a homeless girl moved in with me so that made for interesting and fun times. 
    When I first started working for the company I was with a work gang of 5 or 6 people then I was assigned to work with the guy who needed a helper. Everybody knew my living situation about living in the garage collecting junk and doing garage sales so that kind of situation likely made me seem more suspect. My boss guy did drive with me to take a look in the garage,  'course found nothing but then he just took off and left me there.

I lived in the garage for 'bout a year and a half then went back to living normally where I could have running water and all the other conveniences of a regular home. This post was edited by Kittigate at December 28, 2018 11:05 PM MST
      December 26, 2018 8:15 PM MST

Ah - that does explain why some people might jump to the wrong conclusions.

Even so, even if you had told someone not knowing that they were light-fingered,
    to sack you for someone else's crime, or for an unproven belief that you might have done something wrong -- 
    to me, that seems to go against the basic presumption of innocence that is the norm and the law in our culture.

I think they treated you badly,
    but then who wants to work with schmucks like that anyway?
      December 28, 2018 11:10 PM MST

Just seemed such an odd coincidence his shed  busted into that night after I visited. He drove in the back lane to park at his place so I did not get a chance to notice his house address #.or take note what street he lived on. He was a well liked guy and some of the workers might have got into my face accusing me so was sort of ok for me not to go back.
    There are lots of labor jobs around during summer anyway so I found employment soon somewhere else. This post was edited by Kittigate at December 30, 2018 4:35 AM MST
      December 29, 2018 3:43 PM MST

Such a sane attitude.

I would probably have felt really angry at being falsely accused and never forgiven him. It would have meant the end of the friendship.

But you're right - it's always best to recover, move on and adjust.
      December 30, 2018 4:38 AM MST

I haven't, oddly enough. There are some answers here that makes it seem like most everyone has had that experience. That is unfortunate. I guess the careers I chose Leave little for that king of behaviour. I always fess up when I screw up.
      December 26, 2018 8:07 PM MST

Yep. My daughter has a lead foot. The car is registered in my name, so the blame (and fines) came to me.
      December 26, 2018 8:19 PM MST

That sounds familiar...I made her mother pay.
      December 26, 2018 8:23 PM MST