Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Movie buffs: which movies are referred to as "romantic" films, yet in your opinion are not romantic films at all? ~

Movie buffs: which movies are referred to as "romantic" films, yet in your opinion are not romantic films at all? ~

Posted - December 27, 2018

Responses

I can think of a couple that were heavily marketed as romantic films that are really kind of a different genre, but those examples still have romance in them. I don't think I know of any that are utterly opposite of their romantic reputation.

The one's I was thinking of are "The Phantom Thread", "Punch Drunk Love" (both P.T. Anderson movies, a director who's movies are rarely marketed correctly), and, for a completely different reason, "50 Shades of Grey". It turns out that last one is a straight up dystopian nightmare.

On the reversed end, "The Village" is actually a romance marketed as a horror movie.
      December 28, 2018 12:13 AM MST

(the one's I'm thinking of ones)
      (who's whose)

Just because a word ends with the letter s doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe. 
      December 28, 2018 12:26 AM MST

*sigh, I know, I legitimately thought those two did. The others are a force of habit. Thank you, so much, for pointing this out.
      December 28, 2018 12:38 AM MST

not sure since i dont watch nnovies nnuch
      December 28, 2018 10:29 AM MST