Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » In your opinion, what makes a person “boring”? Someone told me today that I am boring now....”I don’t think so, Tim”

In your opinion, what makes a person “boring”? Someone told me today that I am boring now....”I don’t think so, Tim”

Posted - December 28, 2018

Responses

Several things...

Talking about unimportant trivia - like the price of fish.

Going into unnecessary detail about any topic.

Not being emotionally connected to what they are saying, or in other words, not being authentic.
    Talking too much about themselves and not allowing the other person to have an equal amount of airtime being heard.

Since the advent of emails and mobile phones, few people cultivate conversation as an art form.
    We engage too much in Twitter and soundbites - which means public life has become incredibly shallow.
    The average person now has an attention span of 8 seconds or around 45 words.
    Ideally, a good conversation is like a friendly (non-competitive) game of tennis;
    the purpose of asking a question or making a statement is to encourage the other person to respond, and vice versa.

The best bet is to ask the person who made the comment what exactly they found boring.
    It may also help to ask them what topics or kinds of conversation they enjoy most.

This post was edited by inky at December 28, 2018 9:27 PM MST
      December 28, 2018 9:09 PM MST

• Oh wow :( pretty much everything you just said does apply to me. 
    “ going into unnessary detail on any topic“
    “talking too much about themselves“
    “attention span of 8 seconds“

I do know the reason my friend said I am boring now, is cos I said my idea of a fun Friday night is watching live PD on My couch in my comfy clothes, and was teasing me. But I do apriciate your thoughtful response. Now I really do think I’m boring :( <—— see! Rambling on and talking about myself. OH MAH GAWD. I need help. 
      December 28, 2018 9:24 PM MST

I'm having a little chortle.
    I'm sure you'll be fine.
      December 28, 2018 9:26 PM MST

• Lol thank you ;)
      December 28, 2018 9:27 PM MST

Try to talk mostly about them, the other person. Aren't people most interested in talking about themselves and their life?  You  will be instantly interesting if you talk to them about them or ask about them.
      December 28, 2018 10:21 PM MST

• Okay, but that will cut down on my “me“ time and I’m not really down with that. 
      December 28, 2018 10:26 PM MST

G'night GIF - Night Goodnight Haggard GIFs
      December 29, 2018 7:30 AM MST

• Lol! :) 
      December 30, 2018 10:17 AM MST

Someone who does nothing, therefore, does not have new information coming into their brain, is generally boring.   And I don't mean what you get from watching reruns of Law and Order.  I'm talking about new experiences and stimulating conversation and activities.....work, school, hobbies, etc.
      December 28, 2018 10:52 PM MST

• Okay, okay... I can work with this. I’m not watching law and order. I’m watching live PD. LIVE! So I’m pretty up on current topics and stuff. 
      December 28, 2018 11:00 PM MST

Cultural topics don't really count.  Knowing what movie stars are doing is a no go.   I would try to stimulate my brain and intellect if I was worried about being a boring person.  Wit and intellect and knowledge are the ingredients of a person fun to be around. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 28, 2018 11:24 PM MST
      December 28, 2018 11:12 PM MST

• Well this is awkward. Now that my looks are fading,  I guess I have to learn more about current events then keeping up with the Kardashian’s. I should probably just sit In a corner, hugging my knees while rocking back and forth. THIS IS A DISASTER! I have no time to develop a personality :( 
      December 28, 2018 11:27 PM MST

NO.  NO.  No.  Be you.  You are a sweet, darling chick and you know a lot from your perspective.  You don't have to cater to anyone's whims of what you should be.   

That would be very boring.  BE YOU. You are fine just as you are and you contribute a  lot to the world of thought.  Plus you said you liked me when I was being horrid. I will defend you till death now.

December 29, 2018 7:37 AM MST

•   December 30, 2018 10:18 AM MST

Being Self centered

December 29, 2018 12:11 AM MST

I don't think you and I have ever disagreed. I disagree.  The Center of the SELF is where we all need to strive.  I think self-centered is getting a bad rap because it deals with the self as ego.

I am talking about the true center of what we all are composed of.  The soul.  That is the center of the self to me.

Selfish and self-centered are two different qualities.  
      December 29, 2018 7:39 AM MST

Only one type of person is boring.  That is, those who are BORED.  You are not boring.

People who expect the world to owe them a living and entertain them, just so they can express continued disappointment?  Those people are boring as … can I say HELL on here?

December 29, 2018 3:15 AM MST

• For one, you picked probably the most boring TV character ever!
      December 29, 2018 8:03 AM MST

i dont think anyone is boring
      December 29, 2018 3:39 PM MST

Hmmm...  I am continuing to work on your problem.  Are you ready for your examination?  Step over here into the light.  Look up.  Now, look down.   Look at my thumb.  Ah ha!  That's it!  Who said this to you?  A son?  A brother?  If so, you can discount what they said.
      December 29, 2018 6:29 PM MST

Boring people have sucky Instagram accounts.
      December 29, 2018 6:33 PM MST

• I instagram and do fun things no matter what I’m doing. 
      December 30, 2018 10:19 AM MST

Then you are a Real Human Being.
      December 30, 2018 2:25 PM MST