Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » How would you define the term "conversation duel"?

How would you define the term "conversation duel"?

~

Posted - December 30, 2018

Responses

Debate
      December 30, 2018 8:44 AM MST

I disagree. 
    ~
      December 30, 2018 8:45 AM MST

I have noticed three types of conversational duel.
    1. Two people are each talking down to the other and neither will accept the insult or give up the attack.
    2. One person is trying to win the conversation by saying something so stupid that the other can't think of a polite reply.
    3. Two people are each trying to have the last word, even if it is off topic.
      December 30, 2018 9:18 AM MST

Very good.  I think too when people vie with one another to dominate the conversation.  I have noticed at get=togethers with certain groups of people the same ones seem to always dominate it.  Guess it must be important for them. 
      December 30, 2018 9:30 AM MST

• Either a debate or the silent treatment. :P
      December 30, 2018 10:04 AM MST

Too obvious...a war of words.
      December 30, 2018 10:31 AM MST

Pink Top: "You can leave now: from now on, I'm the only one authorised to make sandwiches for Randy D.  Bye, whatever your name is."

Red Top: "You have a funny accent; are you Australian?  I'll bet every one of those sandwiches you made for Randy D has Vegemite in it!  What are you trying to do, kill him or just make him ill?"

Pink Top: "Why do you think I came all the way here from Brisbane to bring him sandwiches?  You Yankie women could write on the head of a pin everything you know about making good sandwiches!"

Red Top: "Back off!  I happen to know that Randy D likes peanut butter and jelly; he won't even touch that rancid concoction of toxic waste you throw together in that roach-infested closet you call a kitchen!"

Pink Top: "He only pretends to like your crappy sandwiches so your feelings don't get hurt. As soon as your back of turned, he drop-kicks them into the garbage disposer!"

Red Top: "I don't even know how you got Vegemite through customs at the airport.  Who put you up to this anyway? Wait, I think I know! You're working for Slart, is that it?"

Pink Top (stuttering): "Er, um, 'Slot'?  Wh...who...who is that?  I, I, . . . I don't think I even know anyone by that name. Is it a nickname, perhaps?"

Red Top: "AHA!  You shifty charlatan, you bottle-blonde bimbo!  Just wait until Randy D finds out Slart tried to trick him with a fake blonde airhead!  Newsflash, by the way: Randy D prefers brunettes. You didn't stand a chance, real blonde or fake blonde.  Now get back to the airport and take the same plane you came in on to get back down under where you belong!  Grrrrrr."

Pink Top: "But what will I do with all that Vegemite that I smuggled past customs . . . OOPS!"

Red Top: "POLICE!  POLICE!  Someone stop this international terrorist! Lock her up, lock her up, lock her up!   Plastic blondie, I hope you can hold onto the soap better than you can a secret . . . "

~
      December 30, 2018 1:50 PM MST

A difference of opinion wherein one party does not wish to see the argument of the other party.
      December 30, 2018 1:41 PM MST

probably two people having a conversation
      December 30, 2018 2:23 PM MST

Two or more people compete informally to win points in a discussion.
    A winning point is one conceded by the opposition.
    Motives or underlying needs vary;
    could be just for friendly banter and fun
    or to impress a tutor or companion
    or for ego gratification.

This post was edited by inky at December 30, 2018 7:34 PM MST
      December 30, 2018 4:25 PM MST

• With anyone I’ve been in a relationship with,  I would define it as foreplay. 
      December 30, 2018 5:58 PM MST

Hmm.
    I agree.
    A man who can really converse intelligently, and maintain it, is the turn-on.
    I've always been sapio-sexual.
      December 31, 2018 5:42 PM MST

A duel for me is when someone interrupts. I turn around and walk away. 

There was one guy from NYC who actually thought that interrupting was a normal conversation mode. He got terribly frustrated when I kept walking away, but he just couldn't stop it. Poor fellow!
      December 31, 2018 6:25 AM MST