Discussion » Questions » Education » Have you noticed a change in educational standards, what was you taught when you first went to school?

Have you noticed a change in educational standards, what was you taught when you first went to school?

I was speaking to a friend a few days ago, her five year started school in September.  Since this date he has been taught about homosexuality, he has been taught about aliens, and he has returned home refusing to eat meat because his teachers had showed him a film on factory farming and he was completely upset about it.  The latest arrangement is a school trip on the trains and underground for this group of five year olds so they can understand what it is like to be an immigrant or refugee. What on earth is going on with the education system? 

At five I was learning Basic math, English, cooking, reading, and playtime, and we went on trips to museums, or nature parks.

Posted - January 6, 2019

Responses

• I'm bi and I have a relationship with Jesus Christ.  PLEASE give me some of that old-time Quaker intolerant judgment. :P
      January 6, 2019 9:20 AM MST

( . . . what was were you taught . . . )

( . . . teachers had showed shown . . . )

( . . . five year olds five-year-olds)

January 6, 2019 9:29 AM MST

• Uh oh, strikethroughs.  You really stepped in it now, kjames. :P
      January 6, 2019 9:35 AM MST

January 6, 2019 9:38 AM MST

Well, I expected some answers applicable to the content, I guess you don't care what teachers are teaching FIVE year olds today, and what is age appropriate or useful? As for Randy, well many of us here have expressed ourselves regarding the ignorance of ignoring the content of a question to just correct grammar, (bearing in mind he isn't so great at it himself), but he has no respect for such people, and remains ignorant in his manner, which is plain rude and unsocial.  Shame he cannot find a site where that is the aim of it, to correct grammar, how exciting would that be? Still, it might not feed his ego so much, in making himself feel superior. This post was edited by kjames at January 6, 2019 2:07 PM MST
      January 6, 2019 10:01 AM MST

• You can guess til you're blue in the face concerning what I care about and when you think you have it figured out you'll still be wrong.
      January 6, 2019 10:45 AM MST

Sorry, I don't play these type of games, life's too short, I ask a question on a question and answer site, expecting to receive an answer applicable to the question :)

January 6, 2019 10:50 AM MST

• You could go to Answerbag, it's a real shethole, you'd love it....no pics, no links, no vids, etc.
      January 6, 2019 10:57 AM MST

Why would I want to go to a shitehole? What I mean is that most people who want to appear all mysterious and deep on social media, rarely are, they divulge everything and most of it is superficial. Now people that live in a home surrounded by giant trees, and rarely come out, now they are shrouded in mystery.  This is the dilemma of social media, actually share something that means something and risk alienation, vulnerability, or confrontation or stay shallow because you are, or because you guard your privacy, but both never really creates anything of meaning.
      January 7, 2019 4:31 PM MST

• I'm guessing a smooch is out of the question?... :P
      January 8, 2019 5:39 PM MST

No date, no smooch! A woman has standards.  "smooch" I haven't heard that word in a while. This post was edited by kjames at January 9, 2019 7:48 AM MST
      January 9, 2019 7:47 AM MST

A few people on here occasionally suggest they are constantly being misunderstood.

It's seems more likely that they do not realize that what they say gives others a valid basis for inference as to what they actually mean.

The choice of a username along with answers given and comments made give us more insight into a member than one might think.
      January 6, 2019 12:24 PM MST

• You mean you're finally getting the picture? :P
      January 6, 2019 12:37 PM MST

I had one about 890 responses from you ago.
      January 6, 2019 12:39 PM MST

• awww, you're just sayin' that.
      January 6, 2019 12:42 PM MST

What's taught in schools today isn't knowledge (per se), its lifestyle.  Many high school graduates can't count out change for a $1, but they know how many genders there are (and it's not 2 anymore).
    These days, parents want schools to raise their kids for them (in this area they want then to feed them as well).  The things kids should learn at home they now have to teach at school

When I first went to school they concentrated on reading, writing (numbers and letters), simple math and manners (being polite).
      January 6, 2019 10:05 AM MST

Thank you Shuhak, I find the whole thing concerning to say the least. 
      January 6, 2019 10:07 AM MST

I agree that the education I received long, long ago was much different than what is being taught today, but times were much simpler then and we didn't have the Internet which has both been a plus and a minus for society in general.  Many of the things they are teaching in school now are things that would more likely have been taught at home, but parental participation was greater back in the day when most moms stayed home rather than held jobs.  

The world is a more complicated place now than it was back then, so the school curriculum must also change.  I'm not saying it's for the better, just perhaps more in line with what kids will be seeing in their lives than what we were seeing growing up.  
      January 6, 2019 10:25 AM MST

Good point, well made, thanks
      January 6, 2019 10:34 AM MST

Thank you. :)
      January 6, 2019 1:08 PM MST

Teaching such "facts" at that age is pretty much impossible to do without at the same time teaching (possibly unintentionally) a value system.  (A value is taught when a belief is attached to a cognition.)

I remember being exposed (by my own volition) to certain experiences at a young age that had long term effects on me that in retrospect I would have preferred to have avoided rather than to occasionally deal with over the years.
      January 6, 2019 12:37 PM MST

I think pretty much all of us did, but that's how you learned.  Your parents, or whomever raises you, supposedly gives you a set of values and ethics, but they can't teach you life experiences other than by relating what happened to them.  Your life may take a completely different track and your life experiences may not be the same.  Some things you just have to learn by trial and error and where there's error, hopefully, you learn not to do that again.
      January 6, 2019 1:10 PM MST

Do you think the things being taught are age appropriate for a five year old Tom, I mean are they even useful for a five year old? I think I would have been traumatised to see a film on factory farming at five, it makes me wonder what were they trying to do teach children, where their food comes from, or an attempt to turn them into vegans?  I remember being shown the film Watership Down at age five, I was inconsolable along with others, the teachers showed it to the children thinking it was a cartoon, when the author of the story had been an supply officer in the army during world war II, and the story had been inspired by the officers of 250 company of the 1st Airborne division. It didn't help that I had a pet rabbit.

When I was a little bit older I was exposed to quite a lot of things I would have rather not experienced or seen, and you are right they do go on to affect you. I wonder if the subconscious soaks experiences up more when you are young, and so they occasionally haunt you in your dreams?

Thanks for your answer Tom, like Spunky Seniors,  it certainly opens up the picture giving it more depth and food for thought.
      January 7, 2019 4:56 PM MST

My stepdaughter, at age 10, came home from school announcing that she wanted to become a marine biologist so she could save the whales. I then knew that  liberal school teachers were running things in her mind. This is why Rush Limbaugh calls it "SCREWAL". Anyway, the child did not go to college but studied young men and married at 18. 
      January 6, 2019 2:03 PM MST